GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2021 4:28 pm  #1

Hubert Davis story with a GW connection

His uncle, Walter Davis, had played at Carolina and Hubert would visit campus to see him play. He fell in love with UNC basketball and Chapel Hill. In his senior year of high school, Davis only had two scholarship offers, George Mason and George Washington, but still wanted to be a Tar Heel. Out of consideration for Hubert’s uncle Walter, Dean Smith and Roy Williams made a home visit to Davis. Smith told Davis that he would not be receiving an offer from Carolina because of his athletic limitations. Davis challenged that evaluation but Smith and Williams left the Davis home without extending an offer.Davis must have been convincing because a few days later Smith called and invited Davis to come to Carolina. Davis accepted on the spot.

Same story different quote:
When Smith and Williams visited Davis the high school player in his home, Smith told Davis and Davis’ parents that George Mason or George Washington might be the place for him to play. He said, according to Davis and Williams: “I don’t know if you’re ever going to be able to play here.” Davis replied: “You’ll never know unless you give me a chance.” A couple of days later, Smith called Davis and said, according to Williams and Davis: “I listened to what you said, and I’m going to offer you a scholarship to North Carolina.” Davis committed to UNC immediately. And he became a superb player in Chapel Hill.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (4/10/2021 4:31 pm)

4/10/2021 5:33 pm  #2

Re: Hubert Davis story with a GW connection

If that is accurate, then while GW was going 1-27 it had a shot at someone who would go on to be a star at UNC? Talk about the world being upside down...

4/11/2021 10:33 am  #3

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

If that is accurate, then while GW was going 1-27 it had a shot at someone who would go on to be a star at UNC? Talk about the world being upside down...

Hubert Davis graduated high school in 1988, so he would have been a freshman on that infamous 88-89 team if he signed with GW. H.Davis definitely would have started and may have been one of the leading scorers on that team. It's possible that Hubert Davis gets that GW team a few more wins and they finish 5-23 or 6-22 instead of 1-27!!

4/11/2021 3:40 pm  #4

Maybe even saves Kuesters (NC connection)  job which would
Mean no Mike Jarvis.  Maybe things did work out okay

Board footera