GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2021 4:21 pm  #41

Re: News Coming ...

Free Quebec wrote:

Whatever school gets Tyler is going to get a very good player. He could have been a really good bench player here, but that’s not really a thing anymore and I understand why he left. In this era, quality depth will be hard to build and nearly impossible to retain.

Wish Tyler the best, and could easily see him becoming a big time scorer somewhere else, like Jordan Roland.

Yes, FQ. I got sidetracked and should have mentioned that Tyler is a class act from a good HS program. I too wish him all the best at his next destination.

4/13/2021 4:24 pm  #42

GWRising wrote:

22ndandF wrote:

GWRising wrote:

This is a two act play gentlemen. The second act is underway but not finalized and may take a week or so. The Tyler departure was a surprise but every coach these days is prepared for surprises.

GWRising, thank you for posting the information. I am sorry that Tyler is leaving, but I hope he finds a great fit and plays a lot of minutes.  I feel he has the potential to be a real contributor.  If you were to speculate, do you believe the second act would involve a player coming into the program, and, if so, what position would that player play? 

I believe if another player comes in he will likely be a wing that can shoot. May not work out that way but to me that is where I would go.

Kevin Easley is a wing who can shoot.  Would be a good one.

4/13/2021 4:47 pm  #43

A quote I just saw why we wait
 Adam Finkelstein@AdamFinkelstein·Apr 11When you don’t run the floor or defend...it shows you’re not competitive. When you over dribble or force bad shots...it shows you’re either selfish or have a low feel for the game. When you roll your eyes, yell at your teammates or the officials...it shows character concerns.

4/13/2021 7:52 pm  #44

Jon Rothstein[/url][url=https://twitter.com/JonRothstein]@JonRothstein·1m  
Source: GW transfer Tyler Brelsford has committed to Bryant.

4/13/2021 8:48 pm  #45

Odd. A level or two below what one would think.
He didn't get a chance to develop here,so that might have cost him. Or he really likes Bryant for some reason.

4/13/2021 10:09 pm  #46

Also odd that Tyler put himself in the portal this afternoon and committed 6 hours or so later. Can someone say tampering?  

Perhaps that's why other schools moved quickly off of Grasso as a candidate. Lots of stories of shadiness. Offers many kids with bullshit offers. I can tell you no coach in the NEC was rooting for him against the Mount in the NEC Championship.. Hope Tyler has his eyes wide open.  

4/14/2021 6:29 am  #47

Best of luck Tyler and hope you enjoy the Ocean State.

4/14/2021 7:10 am  #48

GWrisinh-is tampering really that rare?  I mean this question sincerely.  I suspect tampering runs rampant everywhere.  Am I mistaken?

4/14/2021 8:22 am  #49

Oh there is no doubt it is the wild wild west and schools like GW are so primed to be hammered. 1) The GW administration giving the coaches and staff unrealistic internal policy, 2)!abused by bigger schools and capricious players and 3) being made an example of by the NCAA with help from the Post who are shocked that when 365 schools are competing for players in an unregulated market place cheating happens.

4/14/2021 9:46 am  #50

FredD wrote:

Oh there is no doubt it is the wild wild west and schools like GW are so primed to be hammered. 1) The GW administration giving the coaches and staff unrealistic internal policy, 2)!abused by bigger schools and capricious players and 3) being made an example of by the NCAA with help from the Post who are shocked that when 365 schools are competing for players in an unregulated market place cheating happens.

That last one is a weird accusation Fred.  Are you suggesting that GW is cheating?

You could he right that we will get hammered, but maybe it works out ok for us.  At least on paper, a team with Bishop, Freeman, Bamisile, Adams, Harris, Nixon, Lee, brown, Dean, and Ricky Lindo is a lot better than our roster in several years.

The three biggest ways we get hammered are
1) the most obvious - when we land a talented recruit, we lose him before they can lead us to big things  (like Battle)

2) it’s going to be a real coaching challenge to recreate a team year after year into a cohesive unit that plays and fits the coach’s style. Easier for a school with more resources to hire more experienced (and just more) assistants.  This will be JC’s biggest challenge this year.

3) All teams will have trouble maintaining quality depth, but it’ll be easier for bigger budget schools to fill that in with new, game ready freshmen each year.

4) one of the best selling points for high level recruits to come here (Omar/Pops/Hall; JoeMac/Savage/Garino) was that they could see a big roster opening that would give them a chance to start or play a lot early. Now, since no one knows who will be on a team from year to year, it’s hard to bank on that or write a team off because there’s someone in front of you at your position who might transfer anyway.

4/14/2021 10:26 am  #51

FQ on your 4th point, I would like to honor our mutual friend Herve, and suggest that you left off Omo Moses.

4/14/2021 10:40 am  #52

russianthistle wrote:

FQ on your 4th point, I would like to honor our mutual friend Herve, and suggest that you left off Omo Moses.

Ha! 

Only problem with that is Omo was a transfer from Pitt.

4/14/2021 10:43 am  #53

Free Quebec wrote:

FredD wrote:

That last one is a weird accusation Fred.  Are you suggesting that GW is cheating?

You could he right that we will get hammered, but maybe it works out ok for us.  At least on paper, a team with Bishop, Freeman, Bamisile, Adams, Harris, Nixon, Lee, brown, Dean, and Ricky Lindo is a lot better than our roster in several years.

The three biggest ways we get hammered are
1) the most obvious - when we land a talented recruit, we lose him before they can lead us to big things  (like Battle)

2) it’s going to be a real coaching challenge to recreate a team year after year into a cohesive unit that plays and fits the coach’s style. Easier for a school with more resources to hire more experienced (and just more) assistants.  This will be JC’s biggest challenge this year.

3) All teams will have trouble maintaining quality depth, but it’ll be easier for bigger budget schools to fill that in with new, game ready freshmen each year.

4) one of the best selling points for high level recruits to come here (Omar/Pops/Hall; JoeMac/Savage/Garino) was that they could see a big roster opening that would give them a chance to start or play a lot early. Now, since no one knows who will be on a team from year to year, it’s hard to bank on that or write a team off because there’s someone in front of you at your position who might transfer anyway.

IM NOT ACCUSING GW of cheating. But if I’m a coach at GW and most schools and coaches are scofflaws about certain things in recruiting are you piously abiding by spirit of the rules or are you working it?  The greater the gap bt the stated rule and industry practice the bigger the risk for GW. Tampering happens but what’s 9 miles over the speed limit and 25 over.?

BTW great point on what this fluidity does to being able to plan and develop a roster and sell playing time.

4/14/2021 11:51 am  #54

As a coach once said to me there's tampering and then there's tampering. I think this falls into the latter category but we will see.

4/14/2021 12:39 pm  #55

My point exactly Rising!

4/14/2021 7:34 pm  #56

4/14/2021 7:44 pm  #57

Nixon was old news. Just couldn't sign until now. Not what Rising is talking about

4/15/2021 8:41 am  #58

Florida Colonial wrote:

Nixon was old news. Just couldn't sign until now. Not what Rising is talking about

100% correct.

4/15/2021 9:15 am  #59

I think the tampering remark was attributed towards Bryant, as in how could someone who entered the transfer portal six hours earlier possibly know their next step six hours later without having talked first with another school?

Is it OK for a player to contact other schools about a possible transfer prior to entering the portal?  If Tyler initiated the contact, it's hard to conclude that Bryant was guilty of tampering.  Unless the rule is that the player is not allowed to contact other schools until he enters the transfer portal.  If this is the case, then the likelihood is that either Tyler broke a rule or Bryant was in fact tampering since it's difficult to imagine this decision being made start-to-finish within a 6 hour window.

4/15/2021 9:34 am  #60

A school is not allowed to have ANY conversation with a player until he is officially in the transfer portal. I believe there is a 48 hour cooling off period between when the player announces his intention to enter the portal and he is officially listed. I believe this is in place to allow cooler heads to prevail or to ensure the player really wants to transfer. Once you go into the portal, you lose your scholarship at the end of the the then current semester.

So the question is since Tyler did not enter the official portal until around 2 pm, how did he commit by around 8 pm? Bryant would have had to know he was going in the portal to make an offer that quick.  How did they do any due diligence on him? Also, how did Tyler make a snap decision in 6 hours? How did he know whether other schools might be interested?

I don't believe for a minute that Tyler just committed to the first school that called him almost on the spot, especially a NEC school when he just completed his freshman year at an A-10 school and was not told he needed to leave. To me this has all the markings of someone at Bryant letting Tyler know they were interested before he officially went in the portal. If the NCAA were interested ... a subpoena of various phones would probably be every enlightening. Grasso has a reputation as a snake so it would not be surprising at all. There is a lot of smoke here ... someone should look for a fire.

Board footera