GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2021 9:50 am  #61

Re: News Coming ...

Maybe there was a prior relationship (Bryant recruited him when he was in HS)?

4/15/2021 9:52 am  #62

Are we expecting any additional news? Not sure if there is anything else in the works.

4/15/2021 10:02 am  #63

MG14 wrote:

Are we expecting any additional news? Not sure if there is anything else in the works.

Yes. Hopefully, soon.

4/15/2021 10:04 am  #64

Steve Urkel wrote:

Maybe there was a prior relationship (Bryant recruited him when he was in HS)?

There was previous offer according to Verbal Commits.

4/15/2021 10:10 am  #65

Listen, I don't really want to make too big a deal of this. If Tyler wants to go to Bryant, that's his decision. I wish him all the best. This is really about Grasso and the way he runs his program. He trashed a kid indirectly on his twitter a few days ago after the kid announced he was transferring out. He makes dozens of bogus offers for which he has no intention of taking a commitment. Poll the NEC coaches ... they don't like the guy. There are plenty of reasons.

As for us, he may have done us a favor. We will likely get a much better player in the near term at a minimum, so it's all good for everyone here.

Last edited by GWRising (4/15/2021 10:10 am)

4/15/2021 12:08 pm  #66

is it possible he entered the portal earlier, and it was only announced yesterday? I don't doubt that Grasso is a snake but I feel like a snake would be smart enough to have him wait at least a few days before committing.  

4/15/2021 12:14 pm  #67

Hugh wrote:

is it possible he entered the portal earlier, and it was only announced yesterday? I don't doubt that Grasso is a snake but I feel like a snake would be smart enough to have him wait at least a few days before committing.  

Officially no but I believe there is that 48 hour period once you inform the school. You can see what time they officially enter the portal - it is date and time stamped I am told.

4/15/2021 12:36 pm  #68

I don't think most schools will worry about tampering when a seldom-used player transfers down like the case of Brelsford and some other guys who have left GW recently, or when guys like Bishop, Moyer and Isiah Armwood come to GW. The tampering accusations/bitterness come in when a school loses a key player unexpectedly. With more and more people getting upset with the NCAA for not LEGALLY paying the players, it's not a good look for a coach to whine and make things difficult for players who want to transfer. So when a player wants to transfer, it's best that the coach just "wish him the best" and move on. 

4/15/2021 12:52 pm  #69

GWRising wrote:

Listen, I don't really want to make too big a deal of this. If Tyler wants to go to Bryant, that's his decision. I wish him all the best. This is really about Grasso and the way he runs his program. He trashed a kid indirectly on his twitter a few days ago after the kid announced he was transferring out. He makes dozens of bogus offers for which he has no intention of taking a commitment. Poll the NEC coaches ... they don't like the guy. There are plenty of reasons.

As for us, he may have done us a favor. We will likely get a much better player in the near term at a minimum, so it's all good for everyone here.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we still had one scholarship open before Tyler left.  So we'd have to get two better players than Tyler to make this "good for everyone here," right?  And, as you noted, this could be a "near term" help, which I assume to mean a grad student or senior transfer at some point.  We'd need a better player to replace Tyler this year, and in the other two years to make this a true "favor."  Every time a player has left, you've talked about how it benefits GW.  We're now at the point where the players leaving were brought in by JC.  He's got 1/3 of his first real freshman class remaining.  Maybe we do wind up getting better.  I'm not about to celebrate a player leaving, though.

4/15/2021 12:56 pm  #70

Thomas wrote:

I don't think most schools will worry about tampering when a seldom-used player transfers down like the case of Brelsford and some other guys who have left GW recently, or when guys like Bishop, Moyer and Isiah Armwood come to GW. The tampering accusations/bitterness come in when a school loses a key player unexpectedly. With more and more people getting upset with the NCAA for not LEGALLY paying the players, it's not a good look for a coach to whine and make things difficult for players who want to transfer. So when a player wants to transfer, it's best that the coach just "wish him the best" and move on. 

Don't think JC is really all that concerned about this, pushing to file a complaint or hasn't moved on. But you begin to realize in this transfer process which guys in this business are honorable and which guys are snakes.

4/15/2021 1:04 pm  #71

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought we still had one scholarship open before Tyler left.  So we'd have to get two better players than Tyler to make this "good for everyone here," right?  And, as you noted, this could be a "near term" help, which I assume to mean a grad student or senior transfer at some point.  We'd need a better player to replace Tyler this year, and in the other two years to make this a true "favor."  Every time a player has left, you've talked about how it benefits GW.  We're now at the point where the players leaving were brought in by JC.  He's got 1/3 of his first real freshman class remaining.  Maybe we do wind up getting better.  I'm not about to celebrate a player leaving, though.

Who is celebrating? I think I said "may" and we will "likely" get a better player. I also think that Tyler was likely tampered with at some point. Maybe that caused him to leave.

Yes, with over 1300 players in the portal, a lot of coaches are losing a good percentage of players they recruited. 

4/15/2021 1:30 pm  #72

The big picture on all of this will not be answerable for years.  Is what this program going through today a one-time strategy, bringing in transfers from major programs who may not have played as much as they would have liked while losing less developed players who may or may not have potential down the road?  Or, will this be the new normal, relying far more heavily on older players with less remaining eligibility than players just out of high school?  To JC's credit, he is embarking upon this strategy at a point in time when it has never been easier to transfer without any penalty coupled with players not losing any eligibility during this past Covid season.  I suspect that if the old transfer rules were to return, we would be taking in and losing fewer players.  If it doesn't, then who knows?  The other point to monitor is whether Freeman, Nixon and Gapare all finish their careers at GW or eventually transfer elsewhere.  Each is highly regarded, moreso than the class of Brown, Ball and Brelsford.

Question for GWRising...you've made a point of saying that in your opinion, Battle was the only loss under JC who would have helped this program win a championship, bring the program back to a more prominent place, etc.  What's your thought on Tyler Brelsford?  Would you have put him in this category or not?   

Last edited by Gwmayhem (4/15/2021 2:10 pm)

4/15/2021 1:47 pm  #73

Gwmayhem wrote:

The big picture on all of this will not be answerable for years.  Is what this program is going through today a one-time strategy, bringing in transfers from major programs who may not have played as much as they would have liked while losing less developed players who may or may not have potential down the road?  Or, will this be the new normal, relying far more heavily on older players with less remaining eligibility than players just out of high school?  To JC's credit, he is embarking upon this strategy at a point in time when it has never been easier to transfer without any penalty coupled with players not losing any eligibility during this past Covid season.  I suspect that if the old transfer rules were to return, we would be taking in and losing fewer players.  If it doesn't, then who knows?  The other point to monitor is whether Freeman, Nixon and Gapare all finish their careers at GW or eventually transfer elsewhere.  Each is highly regarded, moreso than the class of Brown, Ball and Brelsford.

Question for GWRising...you've made a point of saying that in your opinion, Battle was the only loss under JC who would have helped this program win a championship, bring the program back to a more prominent place, etc.  What's your thought on Tyler Brelsford?  Would you have put him in this category or not?   

I think Brelsford could have become a serviceable role player off the bench on a good team. I did not foresee him becoming a starter at any point in his career here but definitely could have been a valuable part of the roster.

4/15/2021 1:51 pm  #74

Continuous coaching changes are having a ripple effect causing more players to enter the transfer portal each day. GW may be in a good position wait a little longer and see what develops. A large number of these kids have ties to the DMV. Our location has always been one of our biggest assets!

4/15/2021 2:11 pm  #75

GWRising wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Don't think JC is really all that concerned about this, pushing to file a complaint or hasn't moved on. But you begin to realize in this transfer process which guys in this business are honorable and which guys are snakes.

Is any coach going to file a complaint or try to block a player from transferring at this point? A few years ago, there was a player who wanted to transfer from Wisconsin to Iowa or vice versa and the coach attempted to block it, he reversed his position after ESPN became aware of the situation and made him look bad on their shows. It looks like the days of coaches trying to strong-arm players into staying or honoring their letter of intent are over.  

4/15/2021 2:24 pm  #76

Thomas wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Thomas wrote:

Is any coach going to file a complaint or try to block a player from transferring at this point? A few years ago, there was a player who wanted to transfer from Wisconsin to Iowa or vice versa and the coach attempted to block it, he reversed his position after ESPN became aware of the situation and made him look bad on their shows. It looks like the days of coaches trying to strong-arm players into staying or honoring their letter of intent are over.  

You don't have to block the transfer. You can just drop a dime to the NCAA ... the rest will happen. And yes, there are many coaches not happy about how some of these transfers went down.  Roy Williams retired over it.

Not saying you, but what I find laughable here is those that want player freedom and rights but yet lament that JC can't keep his players. You can't have it both ways. If you like the unfettered movement, can't complain that the team has new players every year because that is where we are headed not just at GW but at most places.

Last edited by GWRising (4/15/2021 2:25 pm)

4/15/2021 2:44 pm  #77

I agree with Rising that as the number of transfers rise around the country that you can't blame JC. In fact, with the new NCAA rules there will be more transfers in the coming years. Teams will build new rosters each year -- just like the pros. Of course, this is not surprising with all the money in college basketball. So hang on. With all transfers it will mean recruiting out of high school will become less important and if we have a bad season, we won't have to wait for players to develop, because the roster will change from year to year much more than it has on the past. Change is here. Like it or not.

4/15/2021 2:51 pm  #78

In theory, I was all in favor the transfer portal and immediate transfer, and upon careful reflection, I suppose it's still the right thing to do in a free society where coaches move at will and players still don't get enough from a billion dollar business. 

Nonetheless, the amount of transfers and turnover is mind blowing.  So much of my basketball pleasure is derived from watching kids come here, develop, and seeing them mature.  I don't have time to follow the endless carousal of player movement and trying to figure out what piece fits here and there and wondering if today's hero and intriguing talent/personality will be tomorrow's memory in another uniform. 

In the end, it's the right thing, but it's taking some of the joy out of the game for me at a time when sports is where I've sought to escape all of the other nonsense in life.      

Last edited by Merrick (4/15/2021 2:53 pm)

4/15/2021 3:17 pm  #79

Thomas, that was Jarrod Uthoff who went on to have a productive career at Iowa, averaging nearly 19 points a game during his senior year.  He had redshirt for a season at Wisconsin under Bo Ryan.  Bo had provided a list of off limits schools which included all Big 10 schools, all ACC schools (because he knew he'd be playing one of them in the Big-10-ACC Challenge), and any other school that was known to be on the Badgers schedule over the next four years.  Uthoff sat out due to transfer rules and paid his own way for a year at Iowa (he was an in-state resident).  

I loved Bo Ryan.  Great coach and one of the livelier personalities in the sport.  But this Uthoff situation was a major black eye on his record.  He came off looking petty and vindictive.  Wish it had never happened.

GWrising, this isn't either/or.  This is not at all about wanting anything both ways.  We now have 7 players from last year's team who have transferred out of the program.  More than half of those were JC recruits.  Another prior transfer, Shawn Walker, Jr., was also a JC recruit.  Nobody wants to see half of a team turn over within a single season.

I am all for wanting to upgrade the talent on the team but when your replacing your own recruits with other transfers, it's hard not to acknowledge that you've made some mistakes along the way.  Am not sure why you have such trouble acknowledging what seems obvious:  kids who either played for JC at Siena or who JC wanted to play for him at Siena followed him to GW where the competition is much stiffer.  JC made the mistake of thinking that he could coach these kids up and that they would be fine playing for GW.  To JC's credit, I believe he has realized that losing many of these players is in the best interests of the program and his own career.  

So you can count me as someone who is happy to land more experienced and competitive players while at the same time, does not want to see 7 guys prematurely leave the program annually.

4/15/2021 3:25 pm  #80

GWMayhem makes a good point.
Merrick nails it on the fan/alumni impact,especially last two paragraphs.
  Not sure what can be done about it and it does make things fairer on the surface,but it also robs the joy of Senior Day,seeing Yuta,Tyler(3years at GW)Pato,Kevin, and Pops,Mike,Omar, Carl,etc from championship teams,players who weren't on good teams but gutted it out for 4 years like Chris now working for the program,etc.All those who graduated and made us proud,sharing the bond of GW.
  That's what made college sports different from the pros,despite any shady doings.
And that's what we'll miss.

Last edited by jf (4/15/2021 3:27 pm)

Board footera