GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2021 2:26 pm  #121

Re: News Coming ...

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

danjsport wrote:

Sorry, Barry- I know this is off topic.  But JC is here because he didn't want to be the coach at his previous school.  AND HE HAD A CONTRACT!  He chose his own self interest (for whatever reasons) over team and loyalty.  Is JC's generation of coaches more "me first" too?  What about the coaches before that?  Tired of the kids being told to stay in their place and being called selfish or "me first" if they don't.

Comparing coaches to student-athletes is patently ridiculous unless you also want to compare them to every other "employee" in America including other employees on campus like professors. If you want "student-athletes" to be treated like employees then let's tax their scholarships as employment income and let them earn and go where they can. Let's also pay them what they are worth in terms of differential scholarships - for example, the football player gets more because he is worth more to the school than the women's soccer player who brings no revenue. 99% or more will find that system to be far worse economically and sports sponsorship and participation will decline rapidly at the college level. Everybody is for complete freedom except when you understand freedom costs money and results in disparate results. Every coach is not paid the same ... why should we expect every student-athlete to be paid the same even on the same team?

Somewhere, somehow we need to get back to the idea that college is about the education not playing a sport. 

Honestly, I'd be fine if the players were treated like employees.  Coaches shouldn't be able to make money off of students, unless students can make money off of students.  Make education a fringe benefit attached to compensation that each employee can negotiate.  Allow players to unionize.  Allow the players to capitalize off their own name and likeness.  If a basketball player can make more than a soccer player, so be it.  If that means a school has to cancel the soccer program, so be it.  If businesses can't make money--they shouldn't exist.  But businesses shouldn't be able to thrive off of virtually free labor (yes, an education has a value attached to it--but that value does not cost as much as the number attached to it).  If the business can't pay the people that make them the money, it should no longer exist.  I'm comfortable with the cost.

Also, let's avoid the concept of getting back to education.  That's long gone (if it ever existed).  The NCAA just asked the players to take time out of their schooling to go to Indy for weeks to participate in a basketball tournament that made a whole bunch of people a whole bunch of money.  Players are asked to attend practice daily and spend their "free time" studying.  Waking up at the crack of dawn, playing games, traveling, etc. does not support education.  This is not about the education.  College sports is about money.  Coach K makes 9M a year.  Mark Few makes 1M a year.  You stated that Mike Lonergan is making a whole bunch a year NOT to coach.  Maybe college coaches would have to take less so players could make some money.  Maybe the school president would have to make less money. College sports--at least basketball and football--has not been about education since long ago--and certainly lost since the Fab 5 (and sooner than that, in reality).  

With all due respect, I think you grossly understate the value of a 4-year scholarship. It's monetary worth is probably $300,000+ at GW. It's value is much greater. Presumably people still go to college to obtain a degree which will lead to income throughout their life.

But if you say it is just the cost of attendance, where else can a 18 year old earn $75,000 playing basketball? Unless he is good enough for the NBA, there aren't many opportunities. The average G League pays $35,000. Also there are 13 scholarships so that totals $975,000 not including the cost of running the program. Most coaches make considerably less than that.

4/21/2021 3:14 pm  #122

GWRising, most of us do not go to college with the mindset that we have to stay at the first school we went to all four years.  I could have tried to go to Harvard (OK, OK, hear me out) with the understanding that a Harvard degree would be invaluable but with the fear that the workload or curriculum might be too difficult for me to withstand.  So, I try it and if it turns out that I need to lower my sites a bit, I would have transferred.  

I understand you are trying to make a fairly broad point but you're doing so in such a way that would suggest that any player who was not playing as much as he would like could not possibly be justified by a decision to transfer.  You opted to take Tyler Brelsford out of the equation but let's bring him back in and let's compare his situation to JNJ's.  I think you could make a much stronger argument that JNJ should have finished this season as a Colonial.  While he may not have been playing as much as he would have liked, who is to say that he would not have been able to craft a role for himself on this past season's team that he could have come to embrace?  He would have not given up anything by waiting until season's end.  By contrast, Tyler has theoretically been recruited over to the point where he would likely have been the 5th guard on next year's team.  If Tyler had competed to the point where JC viewed him as a budding superstar, then I don't believe JC brings in both the VA Tech and UCONN transfers.  Since this wasn't the case, Tyler had to see the writing on the wall (yes he could have competed, but what odds would you have given him that he'd be playing more next season than this past season?) so his decision to transfer becomes entirely understandable.  

4/21/2021 3:28 pm  #123

It's funny how the 1 person who used 20 different names on the previous board continues to bring up the issue. By preventing that same thing on this board, we have isolated 2 individuals - dumb and dumber. Take them out of the equation and this board would seem normal.

BGF, follow up on your previous declarations - suspend or ban them both. Otherwise, save us all from the veiled threats if you don't mean what you say!

4/21/2021 3:53 pm  #124

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising, most of us do not go to college with the mindset that we have to stay at the first school we went to all four years.  I could have tried to go to Harvard (OK, OK, hear me out) with the understanding that a Harvard degree would be invaluable but with the fear that the workload or curriculum might be too difficult for me to withstand.  So, I try it and if it turns out that I need to lower my sites a bit, I would have transferred.  

I understand you are trying to make a fairly broad point but you're doing so in such a way that would suggest that any player who was not playing as much as he would like could not possibly be justified by a decision to transfer.  You opted to take Tyler Brelsford out of the equation but let's bring him back in and let's compare his situation to JNJ's.  I think you could make a much stronger argument that JNJ should have finished this season as a Colonial.  While he may not have been playing as much as he would have liked, who is to say that he would not have been able to craft a role for himself on this past season's team that he could have come to embrace?  He would have not given up anything by waiting until season's end.  By contrast, Tyler has theoretically been recruited over to the point where he would likely have been the 5th guard on next year's team.  If Tyler had competed to the point where JC viewed him as a budding superstar, then I don't believe JC brings in both the VA Tech and UCONN transfers.  Since this wasn't the case, Tyler had to see the writing on the wall (yes he could have competed, but what odds would you have given him that he'd be playing more next season than this past season?) so his decision to transfer becomes entirely understandable.  

How about if Tyler gave it a shot first and then if it didn't work out he would have 3 years left? That's the point - some guys relish competition and are willing to let the chips fall where they may. Some guys run from it. If Tyler truly thought he was a ball player at the level of GW then why would he care who GW brought in?

What are we teaching kids and young adults ... that they can change schools like underwear? We have kids going to 4 high schools, playing on 6 AAU teams and now going to 3 colleges. It's always about the opportunity until the merry go round stops. Then the cold hard reality of life strikes that while you were so busy chasing opportunity you missed the opportunity right in front of your face - to grow as a person and learn to accept and deal with adversity. That lesson will carry you much farther in life than playing a few more minutes here or there.

4/21/2021 4:29 pm  #125

Tyler averaged 23.5 minutes per game in conference games last year which is important because Maceo and JNJ were each gone by then.  He was actually second on the team in minutes played within the backcourt.  Today, the team has Freeman.  It has (hopefully) Harris.  It has Bamisile.  It has Adams.  Of course, it still has Bishop.  Even if Amir isn't healthy enough to play a second, please tell me a realistic scenario where Tyler plays at least as much as he did last year short of multiple major injuries.  

You are taking a very broad generalization, which I am not arguing isn't true among many players, and are essentially applying it to everyone.  It does not apply to everyone and Tyler's situation is a perfect example of one where it does not apply.  In an earlier post, you asked what has changed?  Freeman, a healthy Harris, Bamisile, Adams.  That's exactly what has changed.  The difference between a healthy competition and too much competition.   

4/21/2021 4:32 pm  #126

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

danjsport wrote:

How dare a kid look after himself??? Team first is a fine attitude, but can we please be realistic. Jc surely promised Tyler an opportunity to compete for a position to start, and probably told him he would compete for pg playing time. This off-season saw the team add depth to that position, pushing Tyler out, Tyler was not going to play a lot. His opportunity even to compete diminished significantly.

What’s changed is that players are not punished for wanting to play. Rather than sitting on a bench while considering sitting out a year, the players can move. And the value that they get (I.e education, room, board) is the same everywhere. If my options are to make the same amount wherever I go, I’m going to the place where I can play. Wouldn’t you?

First of all how do you know what JC promised Tyler? Were you there?

Second of all even accepting that he did make such a promise ... the promise was an opportunity to compete not a promise of the result of that competition. We've come to an inflection point in college basketball and in many other aspects of life. Most kids really don't want to compete ... rather they want a result guaranteed and handed to them. As a coach said to me recently ... we are no longer preparing them for the journey of life rather we are preparing the journey of life for them. This will not end well for either college basketball or society in general.

Was I there?  Of course not.  Am I willing to bet that Tyler got an offer with at least an opportunity to compete.  Yes.  But he doesn't have that opportunity.  He just got two guys brought in ahead of him that weren't here when he committed.  Guys who were likely assured good roles and good minutes, or they would have transferred elsewhere.  His opportunity to compete against Lincoln Ball and JNJ and maybe a freshman coming in is very different than having to compete against Bishop and Bamisile, and Adams, and Freeman.  All while not being able to get minutes at the position he believes is most valuable. The concept that these guys don't want to compete is insane.  Of course they want to compete.  It is what they do for a "living" (that they aren't paid in cash for).  Want to make a market where players stay? The solution is easy- pay them and give them contracts.  

Why doesn't he have an opportunity? So if Tyler came out and lit up practice all Fall you really think JC wouldn't play him or play him over other guys? What you are saying is that he doesn't think he can compete which is very different than saying he has no opportunity to compete.

But didn't he have to compete with Maceo, JNJ, Bishop, Harris and Ball before? Now it's Adams, Basimile, Bishop, Harris and Freeman. Five guys same as before.

4/21/2021 5:32 pm  #127

Please stop it.  Five far more talented guys today and you know that.

4/21/2021 7:16 pm  #128

GWRising wrote:

danjsport wrote:

GWRising wrote:

First of all how do you know what JC promised Tyler? Were you there?

Second of all even accepting that he did make such a promise ... the promise was an opportunity to compete not a promise of the result of that competition. We've come to an inflection point in college basketball and in many other aspects of life. Most kids really don't want to compete ... rather they want a result guaranteed and handed to them. As a coach said to me recently ... we are no longer preparing them for the journey of life rather we are preparing the journey of life for them. This will not end well for either college basketball or society in general.

Was I there?  Of course not.  Am I willing to bet that Tyler got an offer with at least an opportunity to compete.  Yes.  But he doesn't have that opportunity.  He just got two guys brought in ahead of him that weren't here when he committed.  Guys who were likely assured good roles and good minutes, or they would have transferred elsewhere.  His opportunity to compete against Lincoln Ball and JNJ and maybe a freshman coming in is very different than having to compete against Bishop and Bamisile, and Adams, and Freeman.  All while not being able to get minutes at the position he believes is most valuable. The concept that these guys don't want to compete is insane.  Of course they want to compete.  It is what they do for a "living" (that they aren't paid in cash for).  Want to make a market where players stay? The solution is easy- pay them and give them contracts.  

Why doesn't he have an opportunity? So if Tyler came out and lit up practice all Fall you really think JC wouldn't play him or play him over other guys? What you are saying is that he doesn't think he can compete which is very different than saying he has no opportunity to compete.

But didn't he have to compete with Maceo, JNJ, Bishop, Harris and Ball before? Now it's Adams, Basimile, Bishop, Harris and Freeman. Five guys same as before.

Tyler would be severely disadvantaged in the competition.  First, recruiting power conference players, and then benching them (not starting them) would come with consequences for future recruitment of transfers and the players' respective AAU programs.  This is far different than recruiting over Tyler, because the coachspeak is just that Tyler "didn't want to compete for the time."  So Tyler would not just have to "light it up" in practice, but would need to get the opportunity in practice to do so, and do so at a clip so much more superior than Adams or Joe or Bishop (and maybe even Amir) that the coach would start him ahead of those guys.  If you tell me politics plays no role in who gets starting gigs, I'll tell you you're lying. 

And, if Tyler needed to improve that much--he'd probably have less focus on the all important education you want him to get back to. 
And if you think Tyler coming in looking at the competitors you listed for last year is the same as this years, you're crazy.  Now, I don't blame JC for getting better (or trying to).  But let's not bash a kid for also wanting to give himself a better opportunity.  

4/21/2021 9:09 pm  #129

Gentlemen, I was happy to let this go on, because it was interesting, even though it has nothing to do with the topic.  With that, I'm going to close this topic up.  I encourage you to create a new thread if you wish to discuss (again) the merits of your respective views on this.  

As for the comments by certain board members encouraging me to ban people, look in a mirror.  It is you who are the problem.  As I've stated, LET IT GO.  It's that simple.  Past is past.  Past only becomes future because YOU are forcing it there.  You are creating your own self-fulfilling prophecy that you, yourself, will be banned.  

If there are multi-users, I'm not worried about it.
I only care when anyone accuses someone of something inappropriately.  
I only care when debates become personal attacks.
Please stop telling me how to do my "job."

And if you don't like the way I handle it, go away and create your own message board.  As I've said before, I'd be happy to post a link to encourage anyone who wants to follow you to do so.

I'm travelling the next few days, so be nice to each other.  I won't be monitoring things actively, but I'll check in as I'm able.

Board footera