GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/13/2021 5:29 pm  #1

Changes to Board Membership Rules - Please Read

I've recently made a significant change to the board restrictions.  New members can no longer join the board without my direct approval.  They apply for membership and they are in limbo until I approve them.

From this point forward, when someone wants to join, I'm going to require them to let me know their real email address and name.  I can't stop them from joining with a temporary address, but I can follow-up with them and require them to confirm they received the message.  If they feel violated because they can’t be anonymous, so be it.  They can choose to not join the board. 

Note: I will hold onto their personal information and will not share it unless compelled to by a court of law.  😊

For current board members, I don’t believe it is good for the board as a whole to require all members to re-join with their own real email address, nor do I care to take the time it would take to do that.  I would, in effect, need to ban permanently anyone who I can't tell who they are and let them re-join.  This is not my place of gainful employment and I don't have the time or energy to do that.  So consider yourselves grandfathered as long as you act like a decent human being on here.

BUT, I am very close (like as early as tonight) to banning some members of the board for a week, a month, or permanently.  Even if they have been on the board and posted intelligently, or have given great comments.  If I get to a point of banning you, you certainly deserve it.  Don't spread gossip that could ruin someone's life.  Don't be an ass.  

And, I mean this, let go of all the old fights.  Even if what 9you think) someone did was unforgiveable, let it go.  If you can't, prepare to be banned for a while. Or for good.

If someone is banned temporarily or permanently, they can still come on the site and read posts.  So a banned person who argues with me that this is how they get GW info, well that doesn't hold water.  Just read.

But banned member can't post themselves.  With the new member restrictions, they also cannot create a new user name without me knowing who they are.  No exceptions. 

Please note that I may not be on the board everyday and may not see posts/actions that are in violation of the spirit of this Board as I’ve designed it.  But eventually I will see any reports or comments you send to me privately through the site.  I have a high tolerance before banning someone, but it's been clear this past season that it has to happen.  I chose to let it go until the off-season.  

And here we are in the off-season.  I appreciate and thank the 95% of board members who have made this a great place for GW fans.  I am thankful to be a part of a community of people like you.  And it may be corny, but on this board we should all aspire to Raise High.

Thanks.

Barry

P.S.: This is going to stay as a Sticky thread for a while, so everyone sees it eventually.

4/13/2021 5:50 pm  #2

Re: Changes to Board Membership Rules - Please Read

Thanks Barry.

4/13/2021 7:03 pm  #3

BGF, thank you for creating the board and thank you for this most recent post. In my opinion, I feel some very terrible and hurtful things have been written here over the past few months.  I said something about one of them because I felt it was so hurtful and disgraceful that it made me cringe.  I can't even imagine how badly it made the subjects of post feel.  Usually I just feel really badly about some of the terrible things that have been written and try to ignore them.

Thank you so much for trying to make this a special place for those of us who care about GW basketball and the people who make up our community. 

Last edited by 22ndandF (4/13/2021 7:04 pm)

4/13/2021 7:30 pm  #4

Barry I'd be glad to provide that email and name if it is me you are describing. While I will admit to responding to the less than admirable on here out of boredom and annoyance I have never posted a thing on here that wasn't repeated by multiple sources or that I know to be absolute fact. Rumors just are not my thing

4/13/2021 7:31 pm  #5

Thanks Barry.  It's more fun here when we're talking about recruits and recapping games.

4/13/2021 7:32 pm  #6

And as always thank you for taking up the mantle and creating this board

4/13/2021 7:38 pm  #7

I vote we all post our names so none of this is ever an issue.

Daniel Strouse.  Class of ‘05.  Happy to provide my email!

4/13/2021 7:46 pm  #8

Barry,

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your making the board a fun place to keep up on my addiction.

4/14/2021 6:42 am  #9

Barry, I 2nd GW73....thanks for creating this board and also fueling my addiction.  Remember, no good deed goes unpunished!

4/14/2021 8:12 am  #10

Barry FWIW I’d be fine with people re-registering

4/14/2021 9:45 am  #11

I've never hidden my identity in 15 years of posting. Most people on here know who I am.

4/14/2021 11:50 am  #12

I'm all for re-registration as maybe it would dispel some of the crazy conspiracy theories here.

4/14/2021 11:50 am  #13

I am a relatively new member of this group, but was part of the previous one, until it turned out to be not worth my time and energy.  For some reason I was not aware of this newer one until very recently.  Still willing to contribute where I can, but mostly get information and insights from the rest of you.  Happy to provide any information you need, Barry.

4/14/2021 1:19 pm  #14

Thanks Barry.

4/15/2021 9:27 am  #15

If this makes for a cleaner board, then I'm all for it.  If it results in less work and less stress for Barry, then I'm really all for it.  I find myself often taking on the role of "board police", pointing out when someone here is trolling, posting under multiple names, accusing others of the very things they are doing themselves, etc.  The reality is this has gotten us nowhere.  The bad apples are still here.  Nobody has even been temporarily banned as far as I can tell.

My contribution towards the new rules will be to tone down if not eliminate altogether my board police instincts.  My sincere hope is that the bans which Barry speaks of will be implemented when appropriate.    

4/15/2021 11:36 am  #16

Thank you, Mayhem.  And as a note, I have done multiple temporary bans, but I don't make it a practice to share when I do.  We're adults and no need to call out someone unnecessarily.

4/15/2021 2:42 pm  #17

Gwmayhem wrote:

If this makes for a cleaner board, then I'm all for it.  If it results in less work and less stress for Barry, then I'm really all for it....My sincere hope is that the bans which Barry speaks of will be implemented when appropriate.

Amen and thank you Barry for all you do!

4/15/2021 3:46 pm  #18

Great idea, and whenever feasible to the current collection of names, would make the board vastly improved and your life much easier.

Thanks, much appreciated

4/15/2021 4:21 pm  #19

The solution is simple and non-technical: address each other with at least a modicum of civility and we will be just fine.

4/16/2021 6:40 am  #20

Great job Barry.  Whatever works best for you would be fi e with me.

Board footera