GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/14/2021 7:26 pm  #1

GWsports site

Is there something wrong with the GW sports site? I just get some video and pictures when I bring the site up.

4/14/2021 7:33 pm  #2

Re: GWsports site

Working as always for me.  Not as well as it should, but while looking at it, I found https://gwsports.com/news/2021/4/14/mens-basketball-mens-hoops-officially-inks-daniel-nixon-to-2021-incoming-first-year-class.aspx

4/15/2021 10:47 am  #3

I found the problem. Site will not work now with Microsoft Edge. Have to use Chrome or Firefox. Why is this?

4/15/2021 1:26 pm  #4

because it's a pain in the ass for users.    And these companies like to make it hard for for the competition.  And there's no damn standardization.

4/15/2021 1:30 pm  #5

I could say something snarky about Edge, but BC´s comment is probably also on target. 
And despite the absence of stadardization in coding/markup, the GW official site sure looks awful(ly) generic and standard.

4/15/2021 1:33 pm  #6

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

the GW official site sure looks awful(ly) generic and standard.

Yeah it looks as though we use the same template as a lot of other NCAA schools.

4/15/2021 1:51 pm  #7

This is the message I got from Brian Sereno from the AD's office:
" I can alert our website provider to this situation, sir. Sidearm Sports is the host for GWsports.com, along with about 80% of all schools in the Power 5 Conferences, I'd guess. I'm glad that Chrome seems to be a good solution. That's what I use. Take care. My best,Brian "

So, yes it looks like a lot of other sites for good reason.   SideArm is also probably sloppy when they modify their code for use by specific schools.  Chrome does work for me, but it really pisses me off that I have to adjust to them, rather than they writing solid generic code.

Last edited by BC (4/15/2021 1:51 pm)

4/15/2021 7:36 pm  #8

Thanks guys. I just look at generic stuff and Edge was something I just hit first. I use to get GW site till yesterday, then , boom, GW site wouldn't work. This is the second common site I cannot use now on Edge. Instead of things working smoother it is now becoming more complex. A real pain. 

4/16/2021 10:25 am  #9

Microsoft just tried to shove EDGE down my throat!  The world is a lot worse place since MS won the OS wars back in the late 90s and early 2000s. 

4/16/2021 10:35 am  #10

BC, not disagreeing with you, but I should add that I use EDGE and have no problem with the GWSports site.

4/16/2021 11:03 am  #11

That's one of my points Barry.   Microsoft throws out new software, shoves it down our throats by forcing upgrades to windows, and coders use the new (and unique to Edge) tools, thus screwing all other browser makers.  Monopoly power, bully tactics.

Board footera