GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2021 11:52 am  #1

Stop Recruiting High School?

Interesting tidbit from Fran Franschilla

Fran Fraschilla[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/franfraschilla]@franfraschilla  
One Top 40 program coach told me last week that they will no longer recruit HS players but will live in the transfer portal. “We’re like the NBA. We can build through free agency or through the draft. We’ll take the surer thing.”

Caveats aside that it could all be a bluff since the comment is anonymous, it makes total sense that a top coach has decided to just poach the best of the mid-majors than go through the crapshoot of the recruiting trail.  Might also save some $ if you're not flying around to a whole bunch of AAU showcases.

Do you all see this as a smart or dumb strategy?

5/24/2021 12:00 pm  #2

Re: Stop Recruiting High School?

If I’m a power school I totally recruit transfers first and foremost.
Transfers answer so many questions about coping/succeeding in college that high schools kids cannot.

5/24/2021 1:15 pm  #3

Heard about a football player in Texas who will not be playing his senior year of high school because he has already received his scholarship offer from the college he wishes to play for and therefore sees nothing to gain by risking his health.  This is despite the fact that a school would never rescind a scholarship offer due to a player injuring himself as a high school season (imagine that publicity).  Will this be a trend?  Will anyone who opts for this be in better or worse shape to play college football after not playing for a year?

Back to basketball, I'd have to assume this Top 40 coach is not a Top 5 coach who can compete for the most talented high school/AAU players in the country.  So I guess the logic is that if I'm not able to land a generational talent, I'll focus on better known commodities.  The problem I see with this is what happens when that coach does not land his top 5 transfer targets?  Or top 15 targets?  Now, the talent pool has shrunk considerably because they are no longer looking at high school players.  

5/24/2021 2:20 pm  #4

I think this strategy makes an absolute ton of sense with exceptions for somewhere between the top-50 and top-25 national recruits. I do see the inherent risk identified by Gwmayhem, though.

As for that football player though, I am all for sit outs by unpaid, unprotected players hoping to secure their future. If you can "afford" to sit, and especially if you have access to high-end training outside of your program, I don't see anything wrong with it.

5/24/2021 2:42 pm  #5

I don't think you should take this statement literally. I think what the coach is really saying is to play at his school as a HS recruit you are going to have to be better than what he can get in the transfer portal which is a high bar. But there is zero chance that any school in the top 40 will refuse to send coaches to open periods and won't recruit top 100 HS talent.

5/24/2021 2:44 pm  #6

This would probably save lots of money, so I would assume smaller programs would be the ones to jump on the idea instead of well-funded "big boys". If things continue to trend the way they have been of late, it actually makes lots of sense for a UIC or W&M or High Point to cut recruiting spending and take a chance on the transfer pool as a way to balance budgets. But not sure why a cash-heavy program would follow that path.

5/24/2021 4:54 pm  #7

I have a somewhat related question to this thread (and thank you GW0509 for posting).  Do any of you feel that GW may be at risk for losing some our year 1 or 2 players to a power conference school (by way of transfer) if they develop into A10 stars? If so, that would be truly sad. One of the reasons I really enjoy mid-major basketball is because there are not usually a lot of transfers out. But this past year I see changes which almost promote transferring schools. Clearly, GW has benefitted in many ways by getting some nice transfers. But we've lost some as well. I'd prefer getting (and keeping) players out of HS.  I hope all the transferring it's just a temporary thing, but I wonder what any other GW Hoops fans think. 

5/24/2021 5:17 pm  #8

I think that you should expect any player who could conceivably play real minutes at a high major school to very very seriously consider leaving unless we are a program that starts to compete at the conference level and for occasional tournament berths. 

With exposure and brand-building likely to increase in importance to a player's earning potential, they would be stupid to languish at the bottom of a mid-major conference if they have better opportunities. It is on the coaches to put together a squad that they can believe in. We haven't had that in some time.

5/24/2021 10:03 pm  #9

Bill Musselman had basically been doing this for a few years.  He did it at Nevada and mostly did it at Arkansas. He did have a couple of great freshman this year, but he seems to have nearly given up on recruiting HS - and it’s working for him.

5/24/2021 11:34 pm  #10

But, as you noted he had an elite Freshman class and he's now in a position to land top recruits in the SEC in ways he wasn't at Nevada.

Few has never done better with transfers, the last several years, but also never better with HS recruits, hard to see a case for ever giving up on HS recruits, or even largely doing so

I do think there are some schools like Nevada, SLU, where a somewhat transfer heavy focus can work, but you'd still want to land the best HS recruits you can.  

5/25/2021 10:55 am  #11

I can't think this is actually true but who knows anymore

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein 
Sources: Multiple mid-major programs are opting to not play guarantee games against high-major programs because it gives power conference teams a "free live evaluation" of future players who could move up via the transfer portal. The level of separation has NEVER been greater.

5/25/2021 1:29 pm  #12

That Rothstejn tweet is fascinating.   It makes sense, too.

5/25/2021 3:23 pm  #13

interesting  but very frequently a transfer goes to school where, according to rumor, the player had a good relationship with a coach, presumably someone he met
while being recruited in hs (could have been in aau but timetable is same).  hard to believe college coaches from big and small programs can afford to give up scouting and even recruiting totally

5/25/2021 6:26 pm  #14

Whole thing is getting weirder and further away from whatever notion of intercollegiate athletics was still left.

5/26/2021 8:04 am  #15

This article is focus on transfer tampering in college football but I'm positive the same could be written about basketball:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31477534/tampering-arrived-college-football-looks-nba-free-agency

5/26/2021 8:48 am  #16

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't this cut both ways?  As likely as accomplished mid-major players may decide to move up, wouldn't disgruntled players at majors be as likely to move down?  Isn't it easy to tell Joe Bamisile that although you averaged fewer than 10 minutes per game at VaTech, you would have a great chance of starting at GW?  Or courting James Bishop by saying that you'd be going from a 4th guard at LSU to the lead guard at GW?

In fact, one could argue that mid-majors may have things the best in this new world.  A talented player at  a low-major would likely be more prone to join a mid-major than a high major (though there are exceptions).  An unhappy player at a high major would rather find his playing time at a mid-major than a low major.

So all that's changed here is the ability to "scout/illicitly recruit" players in person.  Is this really that big a deal with all of the resources available to watch players on film and subsequently contact them once they enter the transfer portal?  

And as someone mentioned elsewhere, won't midmajors be shooting themselves in the foot by refusing to play major programs?  How could this not negatively impact their postseason chances?

5/26/2021 12:48 pm  #17

Whole thing is bizarre and troubling,as ESPN article points out.
However for us, we should also look hard at low and mid majors to join as they have shown the ability to play D1 basketball.
  Bryan Knapp a good example,though a walkon,so who knows how much he will play. Unless other newcomers excel,outside shooting is one of things we really need,especially given the loss of Battle.
When possible,we should aim for our big swings (and misses) from both sides of the equation.
Armel Potter from Charleston Southern a good example(and interesting story) of a lower major who performed there and here,when given the opportunity.

5/26/2021 4:24 pm  #18

Gwmayhem wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't this cut both ways?  As likely as accomplished mid-major players may decide to move up, wouldn't disgruntled players at majors be as likely to move down?  Isn't it easy to tell Joe Bamisile that although you averaged fewer than 10 minutes per game at VaTech, you would have a great chance of starting at GW?  Or courting James Bishop by saying that you'd be going from a 4th guard at LSU to the lead guard at GW?

In fact, one could argue that mid-majors may have things the best in this new world.  A talented player at  a low-major would likely be more prone to join a mid-major than a high major (though there are exceptions).  An unhappy player at a high major would rather find his playing time at a mid-major than a low major.

So all that's changed here is the ability to "scout/illicitly recruit" players in person.  Is this really that big a deal with all of the resources available to watch players on film and subsequently contact them once they enter the transfer portal?  

And as someone mentioned elsewhere, won't midmajors be shooting themselves in the foot by refusing to play major programs?  How could this not negatively impact their postseason chances?

Gwmayhem, thank you for posting these thoughts. I feel your points are all valid. The only thing I might add is that if the recruiting landscape has truly changed and the number of transfers is going to dramatically increase, then fans like me will be extremely disappointed.  To me, one of my favorite things about GW basketball (and most mid-major basketball teams) is watching teams improve over the years with their core HS recruits. 

I feel those Karl Hobbs teams with Omar, JR, Mike, Pops and Carl were a joy to watch over the years. Seeing Pato and Yuta (along with our great transfers) win the NIT was amazing.  If Jamion were successful recruiting great players like them (as I expect he will be) and then lost them after a year or two to transfer, it would take a lot of the fun out of the game for me.  Personally, i don't watch a lot of Power 5 conference basketball.  Sure, the players are great, but the best ones leave after a year or two. That's just not interesting to me.  All that being said, I agree with most of your points as I think they are valid, except that losing our top HS recruits is a big deal to me, but not such a big deal to the UMD, VA Tech, or LSU because almost all of their recruits have already been recognized as 3, 4 and 5 star HS basketball players. I would imagine it takes a lot of work and skill for a low budget school like GW to identify recruit, land and develop a diamond in the rough like Jamison Battle.  I'm glad great HS recruits like Yuta, Pato, Mike, JR, Carl, Omar and others stuck with us.  I'm not so sure they would have done so in today's world. I mean I know our basketball program has had terrible problems for the past 5 years or so, so the comparison may not be exactly fair, but JC seems like a great persona and coach to me.

5/26/2021 6:29 pm  #19

I´ll add to 22ndandF´s sentiment. Remember seeing Pops play for the first time as a frosh? Raw, scrawny, occasionally sketchy with the decision making and athletic as anything I had ever seen in a basketball uniform. I remember leaving the gym that night salivating at the prospect of seeing him in four years´ time; and his senior year did not let us down.
But were that to happen today, I would leave the gym hoping against hope that he at least would consider playing his sophomore year at GW before moving to an ACC title-contender while wondering if the coaches would be able to replace him with someone considered even half as good as Pops´ raw play as a first-year college player. And that will not entice interest in college hoops from the new generations of fans...

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (5/26/2021 6:30 pm)

5/27/2021 6:34 am  #20

22ndandF wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Gwmayhem, thank you for posting these thoughts. I feel your points are all valid. The only thing I might add is that if the recruiting landscape has truly changed and the number of transfers is going to dramatically increase, then fans like me will be extremely disappointed.  To me, one of my favorite things about GW basketball (and most mid-major basketball teams) is watching teams improve over the years with their core HS recruits. 

I feel those Karl Hobbs teams with Omar, JR, Mike, Pops and Carl were a joy to watch over the years. Seeing Pato and Yuta (along with our great transfers) win the NIT was amazing.  If Jamion were successful recruiting great players like them (as I expect he will be) and then lost them after a year or two to transfer, it would take a lot of the fun out of the game for me.  Personally, i don't watch a lot of Power 5 conference basketball.  Sure, the players are great, but the best ones leave after a year or two. That's just not interesting to me.  All that being said, I agree with most of your points as I think they are valid, except that losing our top HS recruits is a big deal to me, but not such a big deal to the UMD, VA Tech, or LSU because almost all of their recruits have already been recognized as 3, 4 and 5 star HS basketball players. I would imagine it takes a lot of work and skill for a low budget school like GW to identify recruit, land and develop a diamond in the rough like Jamison Battle.  I'm glad great HS recruits like Yuta, Pato, Mike, JR, Carl, Omar and others stuck with us.  I'm not so sure they would have done so in today's world. I mean I know our basketball program has had terrible problems for the past 5 years or so, so the comparison may not be exactly fair, but JC seems like a great persona and coach to me.

While the Omar/Pops/Hall era wasn’t affected, the next great GW team was.  Remember we lost Kethan Savage, part of the core 4, to an unexpected transfer, then Paul Jorgenson. Fortunately, it cut both ways then as Mo Creek and Tyler Cavanaugh came in and helped us to an NCAA tourney and NIT Title respectively. 

With a good coach, this probably winds up a wash for us - we will probably lose more than just one good player per year, but whenever their is PT would should be able to find a Bishop or Bamisile to come in.  It’s just going to take a good coach to bring a team with new parts together each year - and it probably puts a premium on player’s coaches who keep guys happy and together (while coaching winning basketball), rather than a tough task master that players don’t like. 

Also, I really doubt mid-majors (and especially low majors) will really stop taking buy games anyway, since the reason they play those games is to find their academic departments.  I think only the financially self-sufficient ones that barely play them anyway would give up the money like that.

Board footera