GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2021 12:26 pm  #21

Re: 2021-2022 Schedule

Every season is unique but when you are building a program full of new guys, it's best to let the team jell and build some confidence. I'm not saying find every cupcake in America but I'm not sure we are ready to face 4-5 opportunities that will impress the NCAA committee early in the season. A veteran team that has demonstrated potential is a different story. Assuming the best case scenario is that we are a bubble team that doesn't qualify due to a weak schedule, I think most everyone here would sign up for the NIT today.

6/07/2021 12:59 pm  #22

Is there any danger of GW getting underseeded this season because of an easy schedule? I think if GW gets any seed (even a 16-seed) that all of us here will be estatic. So instead, let´s see what kind of a schedule the coaches and circumstances allow the team to cobble together and take it for what it is.

6/07/2021 1:39 pm  #23

Looks like conference matchups were announced:

https://gwhoops.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=889&p=2

Home: Davidson, La Salle, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, George Mason, Rhode Island

Away: Massachusetts, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Louis, VCU, Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, George Mason, Rhode Island

6/07/2021 2:07 pm  #24

Knowing the turnover in our roster, how do we know that these 4 teams are going to be “cupcakes”

If these teams have message boards, they are probably complaining about the weak A-10 team that is I. Their tournament based on our last several years.

We are living in a glass house - avoid throwing stones.

6/07/2021 2:09 pm  #25

Compared to last year's schedule which of course was not played in full, we swap out a home-and-home with St. Bonaventure for a home-and-home with Rhode Island.  Given how we fared this past season against both of these schools, I'd call this a win on the schedule.  Particularly since the Bonnies have everyone back and Fatts has left URI.  The other home-and-homes remain the same.

As for the rest, these are very good splits on the whole.  Winnable road games at a depleted UMASS and at St. Joe's.  I'd expect to be favored at home against La Salle and quite possibly against Davidson.  A .500 conference record is well within reach; quite possibly a bit better than this.

6/07/2021 2:13 pm  #26

PKGW, am not sure which four teams you are referring to, but it's important to understand that the vast majority of last year's team will not be back in 2021-22.  Nobody can say for sure at this point that we'll be better but if you're suiting up 6 players who once played for major programs and then adding some talented freshmen to the mix, it stands to reason that next year's team should be far more talented.  Will JC makes the parts fit?  That needs to be seen.  Do I think he can do it?  Absolutely.

6/07/2021 5:25 pm  #27

At least from appearances now, seems like the tournament we will play in would make Hobbs blush.
  If all these high major transfers,plus whomever else we might still pick up are real finds,then we should show it,along with returnees and Knapp.
  We can play a couple of top 50ish teams,maybe even with one in the Top 25. Good experience. And certainly play those in Top 100 or 125.
  It's less painful to lose to at least moderately good teams,than some of our recent OOC losses. And maybe we can pick up some surprise wins.
   This is the coach's third year. Time for us to start being solid. Lowered expectations may bring lowered performance.
  And if we catch lightning,the schedule matters, prob even on the NIT bubble as well as the NCAA (if our long lost dreams come true),so let's at least play some decent teams.
That could be what we are actually doing,along with the (hopefully) confidence builders.We'll see when the schedule is finalized.
But it's not unreasonable that we don't want to foreclose even an NIT bid.
And we should certainly expect to perform quite well the season after this. So playing some decent teams will give us a chance to grow and learn, even if it results in losses this year.

Last edited by jf (6/07/2021 5:29 pm)

6/07/2021 9:08 pm  #28

jf wrote:

At least from appearances now, seems like the tournament we will play in would make Hobbs blush.
  If all these high major transfers,plus whomever else we might still pick up are real finds,then we should show it,along with returnees and Knapp.
  We can play a couple of top 50ish teams,maybe even with one in the Top 25. Good experience. And certainly play those in Top 100 or 125.
  It's less painful to lose to at least moderately good teams,than some of our recent OOC losses. And maybe we can pick up some surprise wins.
   This is the coach's third year. Time for us to start being solid. Lowered expectations may bring lowered performance.
  And if we catch lightning,the schedule matters, prob even on the NIT bubble as well as the NCAA (if our long lost dreams come true),so let's at least play some decent teams.
That could be what we are actually doing,along with the (hopefully) confidence builders.We'll see when the schedule is finalized.
But it's not unreasonable that we don't want to foreclose even an NIT bid.
And we should certainly expect to perform quite well the season after this. So playing some decent teams will give us a chance to grow and learn, even if it results in losses this year.

To be fair, Wright State was a top 100 team last year (78).  If they are just as good, then they are exactly the kind of tram you are saying we should be playing. Only problem is I don’t know they’ll be that good again with their big guy gone. Maybe they have a nice transfer to come in or the rest of their guys step up. 

I will say, while I want a schedule upgrade commensurate with the on-paper talent we are bringing in, something like the NIT really doesn’t depend on SOS anymore. Since advanced metrics are such a factor - and you can build your rating by crushing weak teams about as easily as beating good ones, i weak schedule isn’t the death sentence it once was. However, when it comes to the ncaa, it’s still quad 1/2 wins that get you in so we need more of those games - especially winnable ones (I.e road game at Kansas really doesn’t help, unless you shock the world).

6/07/2021 9:41 pm  #29

FQ, that is all true.

This is of course, an invented issue, fans understand all this about rebuilding teams, but then again, Mailvan is an invented, fake persona that exists to contrive such things

6/08/2021 8:34 am  #30

This is a thread worth archiving.

If this team goes let's say 27-6 and receives a 16 seed (it wouldn't be a 16 but let's use this based on GWAA's post), would we really be ecstatic?  Or, with this same record, if we ended up in the NIT due to having played too weak a schedule, would everyone really be OK with that?

Some of you weren't OK with an NIT Championship, still harping over late-season failures that knocked that team from the NCAA at-large pool.  Practically everyone was outraged after being awarded an 8 seed with a 26-2 record.

This team will be a retooled team, not a rebuilt team in the traditional sense.  It will not be an extension of last year's team at all.  It has been constructed to win right away.  This is what it means when transfers figure more into the immediate future than freshmen.  

I understand that the jury is still out on the schedule which we know little about for a fact at this point.  Plenty of time before we all see how this plays out.

6/08/2021 2:17 pm  #31

We should not play a cupcake schedule; however at this point in our (never ending) rebuilding, we should not get too hung up over the rankings of the strength of schedule.   We definitely need some beatable "bunnies", as non-competitive games against strong competition and 20 loss seasons are just not much fun for the fan base, and we are at the point where we must show some movement in the right direction to begin to try to win back some of our shrunken fan base, and in the end, that means more wins, irrespective of the competition.  On the other hand, playing a stronger OOC schedule not only improves the play on the Court but preps us for the level of competition in the conference.   Further, who knows???  Maybe there will be some real improvement, given the influx of former power 6 players and what is suppose to be a strong freshmen class.   Maybe a stronger OOC schedule will mean something at the end of the season.    So, continue to play your UMBCs, Navys and Towsons, but let us see the occasional Big East or ACC opponent.  Further, we need to give people reason to return to the Smith Center, and sometimes that means giving them a strong opponent to watch.

6/08/2021 5:24 pm  #32

What's hilarious here is we have people opining about a schedule that probably no one has seen. I am aware of most of it. It won't be the strongest schedule in GW history but I don't believe it is the weakest either. There is a trip to CA with games against a couple of WCC members. There is the tournament in Naples. And then there are probably 1 or 2 solid OOC games. Other than that it is the usual local/regional suspects. Of course, it is still a fluid situation so some of it could still change. Again, probably about the right mix for a team trying to break in the win column early with a bunch of new players. 

6/09/2021 8:30 am  #33

GWRising, I have said all along that this is a speculative conversation.  If you prefer, we can no longer have speculative discussions here, and we can all reconvene in November once the season starts.  That sound like a better idea?

I do have a real question for you.  You mentioned a pair of games against WCC opponents.  Do you know if there will be an A10-Mountain West challenge this coming season, and if so, whether GW will be participating?

6/09/2021 9:04 am  #34

Gwmayhem wrote:

Do you know if there will be an A10-Mountain West challenge this coming season, and if so, whether GW will be participating?

Rothstein already reported it was cancelled.  At this point I doubt it ever happens.

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein 
Sources: The Atlantic 10-Mountain West Challenge is not expected to be played during the 21-22 season. The inaugural event was cancelled last season due to COVID.

6/09/2021 10:36 am  #35

That about sums it up BP.

6/09/2021 11:14 am  #36

Thank you GW0509.  I had either missed that or had forgotten about it.

6/09/2021 11:15 am  #37

Strange that a schedule wouldn't be final until it's final. Who knew? 

Last edited by GWRising (6/09/2021 11:19 am)

6/09/2021 11:40 am  #38

Dumb (Dude) and dumber (BP) hate being ignored so they jump into the conversation with their typical irrelevant dribble!

Good news here is this new format has isolated the 2 of them and is preventing the 20 different monikers each they used on the last board.

As for the schedule, I don't care who we play. We have a lot of new pieces, are coming off a crazy COVID limited season and have no idea if the chemistry of these players will work. I will be happy if JC can just establish his system and the team shows progress as the season goes on. Let's just get out of this hole we have been in the last 5 years. We are all out of patience.

6/09/2021 3:43 pm  #39

Well, Herve, who ran the prior board for over 2 decades, showed his proof that Mailvan and the Fake Insider name of the moment, who argued with "each other" back and forth all day were in fact the same man...15 years ago. Mailvan asked for proof he was doing this? the proof was already posted by the Board Admin.

The few actual people left surely recall that well.

All these years later, the same routine. 

We've had 4 different Coaches, 3 different ADs, we must be so blessed to have a fake insider every regime, whose only purpose is to sustain the very back and forth Herve proved was 1 man fake arguing with himself.  and always with accompanying names whose only purpose is to insult, How cowardly, how pathetic.

Well, BGF, that was proven, long ago, 15 years later the board is mostly the same fake frick-frack and accompanying personal attacks.  

Very little in the way of a GW fan site left.  

Last edited by The Dude (6/09/2021 3:45 pm)

6/09/2021 3:49 pm  #40

Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Board footera