GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/03/2021 1:31 pm  #141

Re: 2021-2022 Schedule

Terrible schedule but what is more embarrassing is those that are predicting a 20 win season as if 20 wins against these teams is worth anything.

This schedule doesn't make anyone happy (not players, fans alums or admin). very few games on TV giving us national exposure. We should beat most of these teams. Losing to any (other than MD) will sink us further into the abyss than we already are!

Just be patient. Another 5 years and maybe we will be a middle of the pack A-10 team.

8/03/2021 1:42 pm  #142

There are a lot worse things, than winning a lot of games against any type of schedule

things like having to fire the Coach for abusing the players.

8/03/2021 3:11 pm  #143

Of course there are many things worse winning a lot of games against any type of schedule. One them is having to pay out a coach's salary while at the same time paying another coach, all because you wrongfully terminated the first coach with hearsay accusations while ignoring far more egregious and offensive conduct occurring in other areas.

But back to the schedule. Gwmayhem, I think you could make an argument that a couple of the other seasons you referenced are as bad if not worse given the differing positions of the program.

That said, there is an old adage in sports that you should never apologize for winning even against cupcakes. We haven't had enough winning around here lately. Let's win and then adjust the level of the program schedule. Right now, we are playing what a schedule should look like for a team coming off a 227 KenPom ranking. If we win 20+ games and then in 2022-23 we play a similar schedule, I think you will have a legitimate gripe. I don't expect that to happen (that being we play a similar schedule if we win this year).. 

Last edited by GWRising (8/03/2021 3:16 pm)

8/03/2021 4:57 pm  #144

GWRising wrote:

Of course there are many things worse winning a lot of games against any type of schedule. One them is having to pay out a coach's salary while at the same time paying another coach, all because you wrongfully terminated the first coach with hearsay accusations while ignoring far more egregious and offensive conduct occurring in other areas.

But back to the schedule. Gwmayhem, I think you could make an argument that a couple of the other seasons you referenced are as bad if not worse given the differing positions of the program.

That said, there is an old adage in sports that you should never apologize for winning even against cupcakes. We haven't had enough winning around here lately. Let's win and then adjust the level of the program schedule. Right now, we are playing what a schedule should look like for a team coming off a 227 KenPom ranking. If we win 20+ games and then in 2022-23 we play a similar schedule, I think you will have a legitimate gripe. I don't expect that to happen (that being we play a similar schedule if we win this year).. 

GWRising, when GW was 26-1 in 2005-06, I recall doing a lot of apologizing to many people who claimed how overrated the team was because it hadn't played anyone.  The reality was we'd never know how great that team really could have been because it hardly did play anyone.

8/03/2021 5:07 pm  #145

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising wrote:

GWRising, when GW was 26-1 in 2005-06, I recall doing a lot of apologizing to many people who claimed how overrated the team was because it hadn't played anyone.  The reality was we'd never know how great that team really could have been because it hardly did play anyone.

I would argue the program was in a completely different spot then. It was coming off an NIT and an NCAA bid in the previous two seasons. But even then no one could have forecasted a 16-0 A-10 run followed by a critical Pops injury in the A-10 tourney with an early exit. If Pops had not been hurt and had we won the A-10 tourney, we were looking at a 4/5 seed at worst. 

Given where we've been the past 5 seasons, I'd be happy to apologize for a 26-1 record and 8 seed again this year. I suspect you could arrange an apology tour for those who post regularly here and you might need a bus or two.

8/03/2021 11:44 pm  #146

BrianPaul wrote:

I’ve been watching GWU basketball since 1965.  I had season tickets for 30 years.  This schedule confirms my opinions: crappy program crappy schedule crappy board (sorry Barry) crappy posters

I can’t do anything about the schedule or the program,   Those are outside my pay grade.  😬😬😬

As for the board, I don’t take it personally that you think it’s crappy.  I sometimes feel the same way.  But it is the only place on the imterwebs where the remaining diehard GW fans have a forum.   I encourage the creation of a new site for anyone who wants to do so.  👍

8/04/2021 6:21 am  #147

It's a schedule that concedes an NCAA bid, that's for sure. 

8/04/2021 7:34 am  #148

BGF -- Thank you for the board. Those who dislike the board can start their own or just go away.
Also, thank you to GWMayhem and GWRising for your many posts. Appreciate your interest and it's fun reading your different viewpoints. 

8/04/2021 8:14 am  #149

I appreciate those who have told me things about our future opponents. However, I so do not care who the GW Men's Basketball Team plays. I look forward to the day when it matters. I think we have more talent than we did under MoJo, but the problems remain. Until GW makes the kind of defensive progress it did in year 1 or 2 of Jarvis and lets the ball do some work on offense GW will remain a red hot Fordham sniffing mess.

8/04/2021 8:24 am  #150

Thank you GW73.  I am hopeful that most of us can see the vast differences between healthy debates (which is how I would describe my differences with GWRising) and unhealthy ones.

And, thank you to Barry who keeps it going so us diehards have a forum to both praise and vent.

Last point, I'll speak for myself when I say that if I truly found this board to be crappy, I'd visit it a lot less frequently, if at all.

8/04/2021 9:27 am  #151

Barry, it's not a crappy board.  It's a great board for GW fans.  And I appreciate your efforts on our behalf.  If a couple of unhappy fans decided not to come back it would be even better.

Last edited by BC (8/04/2021 9:30 am)

8/04/2021 9:40 am  #152

As a very casual fan all I can say is -wake me up when the seasons over.Obviously I care if they win or lose-
but -a win (other than Maryland)will get a shrug and a loss will have me shaking my head and wondering 
if I need therapy for my continued unresolved masochism issues.
I understand that there is a “ process” in order to return to some prominence in the NCAAB world-but I can’t 
help but find this disheartening.

8/04/2021 10:20 am  #153

The baseline expectation is that GW competes for an NCAA bid every year. This schedule and this AD clearly do not agree with that aspiration.

8/04/2021 11:39 am  #154

Mentzinger wrote:

The baseline expectation is that GW competes for an NCAA bid every year. This schedule and this AD clearly do not agree with that aspiration.

It is? Since when? I mean, I hope we get to that point but history shows us that getting to the NCAA tournament takes an almost stars aligning scenario.

Historically we’ve been a middle of the pack A-10 school with a few years where we’ve bubbled up to the top 4. ML’s teams really should’ve gone to the NCAAs 3 years in a row, but looking at how the selection committee screws over conferences like the A-10, the only way we can be “competing” for bids every year is if we get to the level of Dayton or VCU, which absent some booster like Boone Pickens, we will probably never do.

I think more accurately we should say we should be competing for postseason bids to the CBI and NIT. That is a far more realistic and obtainable goal for a program that has limited financial capabilities.

8/04/2021 11:48 am  #155

GW0509, perhaps a way to reword this is that the goal ought to be to (realistically) compete for an NCAA bid each year.  That's not to say to reach the Dance every season but it is to say that we should be in a position to compete for this.  Mentzinger's point is that this schedule makes it far more difficult to realistically achieve this goal.  I would agree.

The fact is that Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan each built this program to the point where it was realistically competing during many of the seasons they were at GW.  We all hope that JC can elevate this program back to that point.

8/04/2021 11:59 am  #156

I hear ya GWmayhem.  I just think the ML years showed just how hard it is to get into the tournament, even if we play a difficult schedule, and I don't think that disadvantage has gotten any better.  Our NIT year we should've been a lock for the tournament but bad losses to DePaul and SLU meant we were sweating even making the NITs.  

I'd say the best argument for playing a tough OOC schedule is it helps the conference as a whole when it comes to Selection Sunday.  The more A-10 schools get in every year, the more money for the conference and maybe we'd become a "3 bid league" every season.  That worked in our favor in 2014 when we were able to luck into a bubble spot along with 5 other A-10 schools.  

8/04/2021 12:05 pm  #157

Back to back A10 collapses under ML is how we missed the tourney those years.

Had nothing to do with the non conference scheduling. Team went 10-8 that's how we missed and not even on the bubble total collapse down the stretch both seasons.

8/04/2021 12:08 pm  #158

GW0509 wrote:

I hear ya GWmayhem.  I just think the ML years showed just how hard it is to get into the tournament, even if we play a difficult schedule, and I don't think that disadvantage has gotten any better.  Our NIT year we should've been a lock for the tournament but bad losses to DePaul and SLU meant we were sweating even making the NITs.  

I'd say the best argument for playing a tough OOC schedule is it helps the conference as a whole when it comes to Selection Sunday.  The more A-10 schools get in every year, the more money for the conference and maybe we'd become a "3 bid league" every season.  That worked in our favor in 2014 when we were able to luck into a bubble spot along with 5 other A-10 schools.  

To put it another way I’d say the only way we can be realistically competing for bids is if we get to where we consistently lose 8 or fewer games a year total and even then it depends on who we lose to.

8/04/2021 12:19 pm  #159

I understand your point, GW Rising.  It is very important that we start showing decent won and loss records, to try to restore the base.  When a team has a gaudy won and lost record, most people notice the record as opposed to the opponents we beat to get that record.  And this is a program that has become desperate for some good news, even if it means beating up on bad teams.   On the other hand, nobody wants to see the team humiliated by a stronger team (I am still receiving therapy for the PTSD I contracted from being present when we played South Carolina at Mohegan Sun), but the best way for players to improve is to play tougher competition, and other than Maryland, I am not seeing it so much.  Further, the likes of Radford and Coppin State are not going to generate much interest in attending a game beyond those of us diehards.   So yes, put me in the "somewhat disappointed" camp as far as the schedule.

8/04/2021 12:25 pm  #160

Well that's a fact. Team missed the tourney because of an A10 collapse not scheduling.

You started a thread title "we quit" after one such collapse.

Crying about the schedule when the team has a 227 KenPom and picked 13th out of 14th is lunacy. Team is rebuilding not chasing an at large bid

I wasn't down on the collapse, things happen. I'm not down on the schedule, its smart given the current strength of the program. Anyone scheduling GW would say "we're playing them ugh, #227"   I wasn't down on Jarvis Hobbs Penders ML JC or Mojo either, 90% of my posts are uplift oriented positivity, you must have slept through the last 6 years.  But, there is a bullshit mountain that goes on here about the recent past and present. 

I don't believe anyone thinks we should playing a hard schedule right now, just the latest thing to complain about, and then if the team does win a few extra games than expected, "weak schedule" will be the retort.

I'll be here celebrating the wins.   

Last edited by The Dude (8/04/2021 1:15 pm)

Board footera