GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/21/2021 8:39 pm  #1

NCAA vs. Alston

Surprised no one started a thread on the big SCOTUS decision. Opinion can be found here: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20-512_gfbh.pdf

The two big questions for us in the near and far term:

1. SCOTUS said NCAA could not forbid conferences/teams from allowing education-related benefits such as free grad school or internships to entice a player to commit to the school. Do you see the A-10 allowing schools like GW to offer those benefits and do you see GW offering them?

2. Kavanaugh seemed to open the door for future attacks on the NCAAs prohibition on direct financial compensation from schools to atheletes. However, no other justice signed onto his opinion. Do you see the restriction on direct financial compensation ending soon and if so, do you think that will be the end of GW participating in D1 athletics?

6/21/2021 9:19 pm  #2

Re: NCAA vs. Alston

1) Why not?

2) no and no

6/21/2021 10:13 pm  #3

Re: NCAA vs. Alston

I've been reading about this all day.  I think all schools will look at how/what they want to offer, but ultimately this is good for the student athlete.  I sense the rich schools will be able to do the most, of course.  Just like they have the best facilities, they will have the best laptops, the best paying internships, the best perks that they deem to be education-related.  

There's a lot of room for abuse, What's an educational expense?  If the University of Alabama offers an off-site internship to a student athlete, but that athlete doesn't have transportation, can they provide him a car for his use?  Can they pay for his Uber?  Can they pay for his meals when he's off-site (since he might miss a meal)?  Can they fly the athlete to New York City for a career-related conference? 

Perhaps these aren't the best examples, but even this limited scope decision offers so much potential impact.  

Board footera