GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2021 6:31 pm  #1

WIsconsin coach secretly recorded by players

Interesting story in out of WIsconsin, where someone leaked a recording in which the team’s 7 seniors aired their grievances at their coach.  They primarily complained that they didn’t think he had their back or cared for their future. 

It seems like players are definitely feeling empowered to stand up to coaches these days, with so many of them speaking up about the behavior of their coaches. From Doug McDermott to the Rutgers coach and beyond (I’m going to ignore our situation so hopefully this doesn’t become another flame war thread). 

Part of what this makes me think is that this is a great era to have a players coach - like JC.  I doubt we’ll ever hear stories like this because he really is al about love and connection.  If he can turn the good vibes into wins, he might be the exact king of coach every program will want in this era because I think all coaches now have to be careful how they treat players, knowing the players may not just take it anymore.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/madison.com/sports/college/basketball/men/wisconsin-men-s-basketball-seniors-confronted-greg-gard-in-secretly-recorded-meeting-here-s-what/article_bf1afb44-c2fe-5983-86fb-4c107e776e15.amp.html

6/22/2021 9:33 pm  #2

Re: WIsconsin coach secretly recorded by players

Maybe the era of the asshole control freak coaching young people in their formative years is over. Vince Lombardi and Woody Hayes died how many years ago? So maybe their "formula for success" is no longer valid. Or, maybe kids these days are a bunch of prima donnas who cannot take even constructive criticism.
But, is JC really "a players coach"? Isn´t most of the roster from last November gone? Sure, it is not like the Detriot women´s team which lost all of its scholarship players, but at least Wisconsin had seven seniors who could complain to their coach.

6/22/2021 10:27 pm  #3

JC is a player's Coach, there's no doubt about it.

And yes, the era of the A-hole Coach has run its course.  The players never should've had to take it, but now, they no longer have to.   Why would any fan accept a Coach who treats the players that way regardless??

The big myth is that Coaches won because they were A-holes, nope, They won because they were A-holes who recruited well.  But that era is over.   Even Bobby Knight was having a harder time recruiting top shelf players and that was now 20 years ago. 

Either way, the last few dinosaurs are dying out the sport will never look like that again.  There's always a job in a local gym for those guys though

6/23/2021 6:32 am  #4

Love = wins.

6/23/2021 8:48 am  #5

As someone who follows the Wisconsin basketball program very closely, allow me to attempt to shed some light on this situation, particularly since some of what's already been written here is simply inaccurate.  I should mention that I am not a fan of Greg Gard's coaching...from refusing to play Potter and Reuvers at the same time, a formula that had been more than successful in the past, to what can only be described as a stubborn unwillingness to call a timeout to attempt to thwart his opponent's lengthy runs.  

Comparing Gard to Knight is laughable in every conceivable way since by no means should Gard be characterized as a control freak a-hole.  That wasn't the problem.  The problem was that Gard appeared too aloof around his players, too uncaring about everything outside of winning a basketball game.  Some of the seniors in the taped meeting complained that he did nothing to help their futures.  Most had professional aspirations but Gard was not initiating any contacts on their behalf.  He never asked the players about themselves...how they were doing, how school was, what did they want to do after college, etc.  He took zero interest in them as human beings.  (I think we can all agree that JC will never be found guilty of this.)  The players felt used, as if they were playing for no other reason than to bolster Gard's resume.  One player said that he could never recommend that anyone play for this program as long as Gard was there.  He went on to say that he's sure he will not be able to talk with Gard ever again, but then again, it's not like the two had been previously talking.

The season before last, one of the team's most promising players, Kobe King, left the program in the middle of the season.  The timing was very odd considering that King was playing regularly.  The team somehow rallied, won their last 8 straight games, and was the co-champion of the Big 10.  Gard won conference coach of the year.  When King ultimately decided not to play at Nebraska, the school he announced he would be transferring to, the consensus was that Wisconsin basketball was fine but Kobe was the one with the problem.  (What eventually came out is that the strength and conditioning coach was guilty of making a racist remark at King's expense.  He apologized profusely and thought all was forgiven.  But after Kobe left the program, the issue resurfaced, the remark was self-reported to Gard, and he ultimately resigned over the matter.)

It turns out that the late stages of the 2019-20 season was a bit of a mirage.  All was not well with this program.  The 2020-21 team lost far more games than a team who had a preseason national ranking of #7 should have.  Literally everyone was back from the prior Big 10 championship season.

One more enormous story.  After the 2018-19 season, Wisconsin's Assistant Coach Howard Moore and his family were involved in a tragic car crash, courtesy of a 23 year old drunk driver.  Moore's wife and 9 year old daughter perished, as did the drunk driver.  Moore and his 13 year old son survived.  Moore decided to take a leave of absence to recuperate as well as figure out how he was to begin his new life.  Alando Tucker, a former Wisconsin standout and NBA player, stepped in to become an Interim Assistant Coach in place of his mentor. He held that role for two seasons and was one of the coaches inside the locker room during the taped sessions.   Recently, it was announced that Tucker would not be returning to Gard's staff (nor has there been an indication that Moore is ready or willing to return).  Try and picture Pops stepping in during an emergency situation to become an interim assistant at GW and then being told after two seasons that he will no longer be needed.  That's how popular the Tucker decision is right now in Madison.  Nobody has any proof of who may have leaked the secretly taped recording but if you're looking for someone with revenge on their mind, do not look any further than Alando Tucker.

Let's end with a reminder that last season was played not only with great expectations for the Badgers, not only in the continued aftermath of  a tragedy involving a beloved assistant coach and his family, but also in the midst of a global pandemic.  GWRising mentioned this repeatedly pertaining to GW but the fact is this was true everywhere...in 2020-21, there was never a greater need for a head basketball coach to also serve as a father figure and friend.  Greg Gard never threw a chair at anyone.  He likely never screamed the words "it's my way or the highway."  He was not an abuser of his players.  What he was, and perhaps still is, is a coach who failed to really be there for his players.  Gard let his players down, maybe a bit as basketball players but far more as the individuals that they are.

6/23/2021 12:21 pm  #6

I live in Madison, retired from the UW and am a former season-ticket holder. The Gard story was the front-page headline in today’s local newspaper.

My impression of Gard is that he is not an a-hole. Seemed like a solid and low-key guy. He is also, however, a protégé of Bo Ryan who, by all accounts, was not such a good guy. And resigned suddenly after it was revealed he had an extramarital affair with a massage therapist (I’m not making this up). I recall Frank Kaminsky, when asked what thought about Ryan, saying “he’s mean” (and he didn’t seem to be joking). So, some of that tough love may have rubbed off on Gard.

The AD here, Barry Alvarez, and his successor (Alvarez is retiring) have both come out publicly supporting Gard. Trying to shift the conversation away from what the players said to how disappointed they are that the meeting was recorded, and the recording was leaked. However, only 37 minutes of the two-hour meeting was leaked. Some players said that Gard responded with empathy to what the players said.

Fans here are impatient, and some were already disgruntled about last year’s performance, given all the hype about the team and its maturity. The Kobe King departure was a big mystery -- as was the apparent firing of Alando Tucker. It appears that Howard Moore will not be returning.

Of the seven seniors who could have returned next year, only one will be coming back.

So, we’ll see what happens. I think this story will have some leg here in WI.

6/23/2021 2:43 pm  #7

WisconsinColonial raises a good point which should be reiterated.  While I am not a fan of Gard, and the dismissal of Tucker seems strange (unless he did leak the recording and Gard knows this, in which case it is not at all strange), I do empathize with Gard's points about the meeting being recorded in the first place and subsequently leaked to the media.  This meeting was a private encounter that absolutely should have remained in the locker room and have gone no further.  While this does not exonerate Gard over the way his seniors felt towards him, he has every right to feel major disappointment over the secret recording and subsequent leak.  

6/23/2021 3:38 pm  #8

My favorite movie is "Hoosiers" with "Dumb and Dumber" being a close second.

There's still some unsigned transfers out there. Rising, anything look promising at this point?

6/23/2021 8:51 pm  #9

I will say that something seemed wrong with Wiscy on the court last year.  His usage of Micah Potter - clearly the best player on the team, but seemingly always in the doghouse - was baffling.  I really didn’t understand what Gard was doing out there.

6/24/2021 12:43 pm  #10

Gard also gets criticized all the time about the slow and boring way WI plays. Think our last fast-break basket was in about 2017.

6/24/2021 3:50 pm  #11

10 posts in and seemingly not one person is concerned about the ethics of secretly recording someone and the breach of trust that represents. Too bad Wisconsin in a one-party consent state.

Last edited by GWRising (6/25/2021 10:38 am)

6/24/2021 5:08 pm  #12

We must by all means keep secret the musings of the powers that be, like coaches, ex-presidents, ex NYC mayors, billionaire non-tax payers and other powerful folk.   GWrising there are at least two sides to this question.

6/24/2021 5:49 pm  #13

GWRising wrote:

10 posts in and seemingly not one person is concerned about the ethics of secretly recording someone and the breach of trust that represents. Two bad Wisconsin in a one-party consent state.

It is unknown if the recording was made secretly, although it was clearly never intended to become part of the public record. Then again, the Watergate Tapes were secretly recorded and never intended to become part of the public record, but when they became a part of the public record what was on them (or deleted from them) was more of a concern than that they had been secretly recorded in the first place. 

6/25/2021 10:41 am  #14

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

GWRising wrote:

10 posts in and seemingly not one person is concerned about the ethics of secretly recording someone and the breach of trust that represents. Two bad Wisconsin in a one-party consent state.

It is unknown if the recording was made secretly, although it was clearly never intended to become part of the public record. Then again, the Watergate Tapes were secretly recorded and never intended to become part of the public record, but when they became a part of the public record what was on them (or deleted from them) was more of a concern than that they had been secretly recorded in the first place. 

Incorrect. Nixon installed the taping system in the White House. They were not secret recordings at least as they pertained to him. Other advisors were aware as well. The problem was they wanted to delete what was on the tapes because they undoubtedly contained damaging information that would be used against Nixon. .

6/25/2021 10:43 am  #15

BC wrote:

We must by all means keep secret the musings of the powers that be, like coaches, ex-presidents, ex NYC mayors, billionaire non-tax payers and other powerful folk.   GWrising there are at least two sides to this question.

So the ends justify the means? On that theory, we can all commit ethical breaches or crimes because we don't like what someone else is saying or doing. How does that make one any better?

7/01/2021 11:18 pm  #16

Thank goodness there were no known recordings of Lonergan.  

The era of the abusive Coach has run its course.

7/02/2021 9:14 am  #17

The Dude wrote:

Thank goodness there were no known recordings of Lonergan.  

Or, let's put this another way.  There were no known recordings of Lonergan.  No tangible proof regarding his alleged abuse.  

7/02/2021 12:20 pm  #18

When a school like GW has to videotape practices to monitor the abuse, or the players at Wisconsin need to  take it on their own to record a Coach, might as well cut the losses and make a change.

7/02/2021 12:37 pm  #19

The Dude wrote:

On this we agree.  And, I would say that the rules allowing immediate transfers will ensure any coach who doesn't create a positive environment will have less job security.

B.

7/02/2021 12:50 pm  #20

Urban Cowboy - my 2nd favorite movie after Dumb and Dumber!

Board footera