GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2019 9:09 am  #61

Re: Amir Harris

Believe I'd prefer that Nelson, Jr. have his future complement playing along side him so he doesn't feel the need to do so much...a tendency that may be harder to break. Also, rather see the team better able to come together under Christian's style right away.

11/14/2019 9:24 am  #62

Also a better team this year hopefully means more immediate buzz around the program, which also has an impact on the long term

11/14/2019 9:47 am  #63

Pros and cons to be made both ways but at the end of the day, I am sure Amir wants to play right now and the coaching staff needs him right now.

11/14/2019 9:48 am  #64

I'm all in for Harris playing this year. Will add some much needed firepower to a thin lineup. May not have a huge impact .. but if it means winning 2+ more games that we wouldn't have otherwise, I'm all for it. Need to keep morale high to keep the players from transferring and have some body of work to show recruits that our program is worth joining. 

11/14/2019 11:06 am  #65

I'd be 100% for Amir Harris playing this year IF the NCAA would have declared him eligible at a reasonable date, such as during the summer months or maybe September. If the NCAA had done the right thing, Jamion Christian and the staff would have had time to implement  A.Harris into the game plan before GW played a game, and the team may have looked completely different in the first 2 games. Everyone would have a lot different outlook if A.Harris had played the first 2 games and GW won both games by 20+, but now we are concerned about turnovers, defense and poor shooting, on top of how Amir Harris is going to look. Is A.Harris in game shape? How is the rotation going to be affected? How confident is the team after losing to AU? We probably wouldn't have these issues if A.Harris played in the exhibition and the 1st two games.

With all that said, I'm still glad Amir Harris is eligible this year because in a rebuild, you need all the talent you can get, even if that talent arrives after the season starts. GW needs some positivity and optimism this year due to everything that has happened with the program in recent years. Having A.Harris on the court this year should provide positivity and optimism. 

11/14/2019 12:55 pm  #66

This is great news! 

To those in the know, I have heard a rumor that he is hurt and won't play for a couple of weeks anyway.  Any truth to that?  (and if it's not true, sorry for spreading a false rumor I heard on this board). 

As for his impact: 

- I think he'll have the biggest impact on our defense.  He will be able to guard guys like Saed Nelson more effectively than we have so far - because he'll guard the best opposing wing and let Mezzie move to guard the #2 option,. which will make Mezzie more effective. 
- On offense, he is not a floor stretcher, or at least wasn't at Nebraska.  He's very athletic and I think he'll be great in transition and a decent stretcher against a lot of our opponents.  I also think he can crash the offensive glass, if that's what JC wants him to do.  
- In terms of playing time, my guess is that Javi loses the most time, but that it also means if Mezzie is struggling, we can take him out more.    
- I also think it could benefit Maceo a lot, as well.   With an extra good defender on the court, we might be able to Maceo on the weakest opposing defender more than we can do right now, and that would free Maceo up to concentrate on scoring a bit more. 

Lastly, to LSF's question, there is a downside to redshirting in the modern game, which is that if he sits this whole year out., then he would likely graduate with a year of eligibility left and possibly transfer against for his senior year.   So with him playing this year, we probably get close to 3 full years with him, whereas if he redshirted, we would get 2 full years and then have to hope he doesn't leave for his 3rd. 

11/14/2019 1:09 pm  #67

It is a very interesting and thoughtful point by LSF. And quite logical.
However logic is often reversed in today's college basketball environment. Brod and FQ pointed out the increased possibility of becoming a graduate transfer if redshirted. And we have to maintain hope for the future, as also pointed out. We want Arnaldo to be comfortable for his graduate year.
   After our start to the season, we need Amir as soon as he is physically ready. Hope that is sooner and perhaps against the odds that it is immediate, rather than later, but FQ does bring up a good point.
Having someone who can penetrate is a rarity in this offense, though Mazz was able to do it before. JNJ is potentially great and a terrific addition now and in the future, but not always the best option on the floor every minute right now.
Having someone who can go inside would open us up outside for JC's preferred style. And maybe dish to
Arnaldo, who is underused on offensive scoring beyond his great success in getting rebounds leading to putbacks.
And given recent games, particularly Saturday, we sorely need the help of a good defender.

11/14/2019 2:49 pm  #68

I am all for it. Teams that lose like GW has lost get a bone deep problem. GW needs more talent anyway they can get it. If we’d lost 4 seniors off a good/great team and were reloading I’d be open minded.

11/14/2019 7:16 pm  #69

There is no question Amir can and should play now and Jamion clearly wants him this year. I hear he is out until December with an injury.

11/14/2019 9:52 pm  #70

It sure would be nice to have Harris now, but let's just hope he is healthy for conference games.

11/19/2019 7:30 am  #71

Any word on his rumored injury?

11/19/2019 4:07 pm  #72

Meniscus injury.  Timeframe was "about two weeks" as of LAST Saturday.

11/19/2019 10:57 pm  #73

Figured it was something like that.
Pops took about two weeks, as one recalls. Though NCAAs may have prompted an early return (and he seemed wiped out against Duke)
South Carolina may be wishful thinking, but would be glad to see it.

11/19/2019 11:38 pm  #74

Is this the same knee/meniscus that caused Amir Harris to miss games last year at Nebraska?

11/20/2019 12:32 am  #75

Given his questionable health status, the number of games he has already missed and will continue to miss and how this team has performed to date, are you still sure that you wish to burn a year of his eligibility?

11/20/2019 2:29 pm  #76

If he wants to play, and he's physically capable to play, he should play.  We are 1-3 and the season is quite young.

11/20/2019 3:01 pm  #77

keithgreene wrote:

If he wants to play, and he's physically capable to play, he should play.  We are 1-3 and the season is quite young.

Agree with Keith.

2/20/2020 8:43 pm  #78

Did I miss any new word on Harris’ health?

2/21/2020 9:17 am  #79

also is there any info on the status of Justin Williams? Javi too, but I assume the cast he still has on his wrist/hand means he's done for the season.

2/21/2020 10:43 am  #80

FredD wrote:

Did I miss any new word on Harris’ health?

Absent a minor miracle, I would not count on seeing Amir Harris play again this season.

Board footera