GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/19/2021 10:23 am  #1

Former Seton Hall star, Myles Powell, sues school over an injury

Former Seton Hall star Myles Powell is suing the school over an undisclosed knee injury that he says ruined his chances at an NBA career. The 24-year-old Powell claims Seton Hall allowed him to play on a torn meniscus during his senior year, while telling him it was a minor injury. The torn meniscus was discovered while M.Powell was going through the draft process in 2020. Do you guys think this will open the door for other players to follow suit? Especially players who feel that the injury prevented them from making it to the NBA or NFL. 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2021/07/14/seton-hall-basketball-myles-powell-sues-injury-kevin-willard/7973515002/  

7/19/2021 10:37 am  #2

Re: Former Seton Hall star, Myles Powell, sues school over an injury

Absent some gross negligence, his case is probably weak. A torn meniscus usually does not prevent you from playing once repaired and he in fact did play in the G-League

His damages are also speculative. There is no guarantee he would have made the NBA or what his earnings would reasonably be had he done so. His best case is straight malpractice.

I doubt this ever makes it to trial. Either it is settled for a relatively small amount or it might be dismissed. 

By the way he is not the first to try this.

7/19/2021 1:11 pm  #3

Sounds like a much better case, than suing GW after they fire you for abusing your players

7/19/2021 1:40 pm  #4

Your Honor (Barry), please strike the post above for lack of relevancy, argumentative, asked and answered etc.

7/19/2021 1:52 pm  #5

Well this should be easy to determine.  Let's say the average tenure of a GW basketball coach is 6 seasons (a bit longer for Jarvis and Hobbs, a bit shorter for Penders, Lonergan and MoJo), and let's say the average annual salary for a GW men's head basketball coach is $700,000/year.  Do the math and you get $4.2 million.  Lonergan received a payout of between $2 million-$3 million, likely closer to 3 than 2 but let's say $2.1 million which represents half the amount than a GW coach should expect to make while coaching GW.

The average career earnings for an NBA player is $24.7 million dollars.  So if Myles Powell has a much better case than Mike Lonergan did, he should expect to either win a court case or receive a settlement in the amount of at least $12.35 million.  Actually, if he has a much better case, that figure should be more like in the $17 million-$20 million range.

Because if you're going to simply state that someone has a much better case than someone else, you really ought to be able to back that up with some numbers.  So let's see how Powell fares and then we should be able to see whether The Dude was correct about this or not.

7/19/2021 2:18 pm  #6

Embarrassing settlement, for ML, in which he was gagged but GW got to hammer him publically for his abusing the players in its statement.  Part of the embarrassing terms.  

Over Half a decade later, banished from the sport, tells you all you need to know.  What an embarrassment, good riddance.

7/19/2021 2:56 pm  #7

GWRising wrote:

Your Honor (Barry), please strike the post above for lack of relevancy, argumentative, asked and answered etc.

+1 and of course it started an irrellevant fight.

7/19/2021 2:57 pm  #8

Maybe he can sue his parents for making him too small for the NBA. 

That said, I don’t know the details of his case. If he has some evidence he was lied to, then maybe there’s something here. Otherwise I doubt it this is anything.

7/19/2021 3:44 pm  #9

No surprise why this board is down to about 5 active posters (from the hundreds we had on the old board) due to e-discovery being handled by $15 an hour clerks.

Lets start a GoFund me campaign for the dude so he can get some counseling and reparations before he goes "postal". I bet you ML will generously contribute. Mayhem, I heard he was paid over $4 million because the infamous Nero "straddling and dry humping the young undergrad" tapes were already in GW's possession.

Barry is either asleep at the wheel again or is turning a blind eye towards the moron who has caused the rest of us to stop using this site for relevant hoops info.

7/19/2021 4:46 pm  #10

We can and should discuss ML and the unusual athletic dept issues because they led to our team and our expectations being in the crapper for half a dozen seasons now.
  It would be seriously odd to ignore this giant elephant in the room,while our hopes veer from 13th place picks to hopefully ending up in 9th place. There's a reason why we're (so far) stuck in this basketball hell.
However,to keep bring up over and over  taunting allegations against the former coach in threads where that is not an issue under discussion is inappropriate.
   Rather than curtail or close threads that people might want to discuss at least semi-rationally, wouldn't it be better to just stop the pointless antagonizing. Or call a technical for taunting.

7/19/2021 4:56 pm  #11

I think we are way past the technical foul area. This has become a flagrant 2 with repeated instances which call for a significant suspension from the board. Almost every thread now is being interrupted with this crap.

The Court (Barry) needs to hand down a stiff sentence.

7/19/2021 5:07 pm  #12

JF, we have said pretty much all there is to be said regarding this topic for the last 5 years. Our program has been in the toilet ever since and JC is giving it a valiant effort to try and conduct business as normal. However, the poor decisions GW made 5 years ago are anything but normal. My guess is the curse will last another 5 years so buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Knapp is gone. Maltzman is gone. Nero disappeared in the middle of the night. Lonergan was paid a handsome sum in order to keep GW's dirty laundry and incompetence out of the public eye.

There's just 1 guy here (2 if you include Brian Paul Jenny) that's infatuated with ML. The dude. Maybe ML kicked him out of the locker room, wouldn't take a photo with him, wouldn't be a reference on his job application, who knows?

Read the Deadspin article - it will answer all of your questions on what happened. If that doesn't work, write a letter to Knapp or Maltzman. They made these piss poor decisions that we continue to live with 5 years later!

Let's revisit why Hobbs was fired. It was only 10 years ago. I'm going to the Terps board now. Maybe I'll start a thread on the firing of Bob Wade.

7/19/2021 5:47 pm  #13

Thank you JF and GWRising for speaking up.  I often feel as if I am in this fight without much support.

The fight is against a poster who epitomizes the very definition of a troll.  His purpose here is to annoy and antagonize.  He does this by taking positions on subjects that very few if any people would support and then repeating his takes so that myself and others will take him on.  The more outlandish his view, the more attention he will attract.  The more times he repeats the same thing, the more annoying he will become.  This is exactly what he wants.  

I can only hope that if enough people will speak out against him, if enough people express their displeasure over seemingly every thread interrupted with his crap to use GWRising's words, then Barry will take action.    

7/19/2021 10:48 pm  #14

Gwmayhem wrote:

Thank you JF and GWRising for speaking up.  I often feel as if I am in this fight without much support.

The fight is against a poster who epitomizes the very definition of a troll.  His purpose here is to annoy and antagonize.  He does this by taking positions on subjects that very few if any people would support and then repeating his takes so that myself and others will take him on.  The more outlandish his view, the more attention he will attract.  The more times he repeats the same thing, the more annoying he will become.  This is exactly what he wants.  

I can only hope that if enough people will speak out against him, if enough people express their displeasure over seemingly every thread interrupted with his crap to use GWRising's words, then Barry will take action.    

I think Barry should take action - but also against you for contributing to the bickering.  Just stop, please.

7/20/2021 11:32 am  #15

Mayhem, believe me, you are not alone in this fight. Out of the 15 people who bother to read this post, 12 of us feel exactly like you do.

Free Quebec, follow your own advice and "just stop". Keep telling us how the polls are under rating us and how we are a "top 5" A-10 team!

7/20/2021 12:04 pm  #16

GWRising wrote:

Absent some gross negligence, his case is probably weak. A torn meniscus usually does not prevent you from playing once repaired and he in fact did play in the G-League

His damages are also speculative. There is no guarantee he would have made the NBA or what his earnings would reasonably be had he done so. His best case is straight malpractice.

I doubt this ever makes it to trial. Either it is settled for a relatively small amount or it might be dismissed. 

By the way he is not the first to try this.

Who is the other player to sue their school like this? I don't recall something like this happening before especially from an all-time great player who graduated/played all 4 years. I figure someone like Myles Powell would always have a home/employment/high-end connections with Seton Hall because of how great he was, so he wouldn't want to burn that bridge by suing them. 

7/20/2021 12:15 pm  #17

Joel Joseph wrote:

Mayhem, believe me, you are not alone in this fight. Out of the 15 people who bother to read this post, 12 of us feel exactly like you do.

Free Quebec, follow your own advice and "just stop". Keep telling us how the polls are under rating us and how we are a "top 5" A-10 team!

I’ve never said we are a top 5 a10 team.

7/20/2021 12:26 pm  #18

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Max Blank allegedly have his basketball career ruined due to his being played while not yet recovered from a serious injury?     (FYI...for those not around long enough to remember Max, who played in the mid to late 1980s, his was quite a story.   A Russian who came to GW with about as much hype as any player I can remember, with the possible exception of Yinka).

7/20/2021 12:45 pm  #19

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Max Blank allegedly have his basketball career ruined due to his being played while not yet recovered from a serious injury?   

Max injured his knee in a big high school all-star game after signing with GW but before enrolling. The knee never fully recovered and rehab was NOT helped by the rubber-cum-cement floor at the Smith Center. He missed a few games due to the knee his senior year (the 1-27 season), but I never heard it was the result of his not being able to fully rehab and always assumed it was a reinjury thanks to the unsafe playing surface the team played and practiced on.

7/21/2021 3:59 pm  #20

Oh well! On a non basketball side note, Where were the Black Uniformed, White helmeted 6'3 guys with batons  with CDU on their  helmets in January. They were pictured all over the "72 Cherry Tree. They kicked the shit out of a lot of people near the GW campus in 1971.  Were they disbanded sometime ago?  I kept looking for them to come out and break up the assembly near the capital building in January. Didn't see one CDU guy,  which shocked me. . Still have nightmares of the Civil Disorder Units. I'll go and look up and see what happened to these nasty guys.  Poof!

Board footera