GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/27/2019 1:09 pm  #1

Top coaches under 40

If you are of a mind wander over to NBC Sports. Our guy is #7 FWIW.

8/27/2019 2:51 pm  #2

Re: Top coaches under 40

Love the guy, but at this point I think the hype exceeds the results.

8/27/2019 3:00 pm  #3

Based upon...?

8/27/2019 3:52 pm  #4

I can understand BM's sentiment.  His W-L records have not been great but that needs to viewed in the proper context.  MSM and Siena likely lost more than they won in out-of-conference games which should be expected.  At this point, I am happy to chalk this up to good publicity that GW can really use rather than hype.  

8/27/2019 9:08 pm  #5

Actually our guy is No. 3. Also, check out mention of MoJo in discussion of Oklahoma State coach. https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/08/27/which-college-coaches-under-40-are-the-most-likely-to-be-stars-in-the-next-decade/

8/27/2019 11:42 pm  #6

GW73 thanks for the link!! Those are some VERY interesting comments(even a racial component) about the circumstances of Mojo's hiring being  similar to how Oklahoma State hired Mike Boynton. I had to copy and paste the comments here for everyone to see:

Personally, I’m rooting for Boynton to figure it out. If you’ve forgotten, Boynton joined the Oklahoma State staff when Underwood was hired to replace Travis Ford, but Underwood left after just one season. Boynton interviewed his way into the job, which on the surface is a great thing, but part of the reason he got the job is because Oklahoma State didn’t want to pay what was required to get a big name, not when they still had to deal with Travis Ford’s buyout.

OK State was not set up to win when Boynton got there. It is already a middle-of-the-pack Big 12 job, one where the fanbase has been siphoned off by the Oklahoma City Thunder, and he had just lost Jawun Evans and Phil Forte. Boynton, who is black, was hired at the same time that Cal did the same thing with Wyking Jones and just six months after George Washington did the same with Maurice Joseph.

Jones and Joseph are both black. Both have already been fired. Their struggles are going to make it more difficult for the next young, black coach to get a high-major opening despite the fact that their struggles had as much to do with the situation they were put into as their coaching chops. As one industry source put it at the time, “this set young black coaches back another 10 years.”

Those are some eye-opening comments about the circumstances and possible consequences of the MoJo, Mike Boynton and Wyking Jones hires. Oklahoma State and Cal have a lot bigger budgets than GW, so I'm surprised they took the same cheap/"coupon-clipping" route that GW did. Also, I'm not sure how much the struggles of those 3 coaches will affect young black coaches in the future because the 3 hires seemed to be made out of desperation, so they MAY get passes for their lack of success. But I understand the mindset of the industry source because a certain segment of the population will use anything they can to discredit a black coach.  

It's good to see Memphis assistant Mike Miller on that list because he's a guy who only played 2 years in college, was an NBA lottery pick and had a long career in the NBA. I respect the fact that he still got his college degree and is now a college coach. A lot of people like to bash the NCAA for being unfair because they don't pay the players, which is a fair criticism, but in my opinion, these people overlook how important attending college/getting a degree can be to players when they can no longer play basketball. I'm sure M.Miller(and Penny Hardaway) are instilling that to the guys they recruit because the "F@#K The NCAA, It Isn't Fair" may seem cool when a player is a teenager/early 20's and feels like they'll be young and athletic forever, but what about when that player gets in their early to mid 30's, and the end of their career is fast approaching?? The college degree/experiences/connections can be very beneficial at that point. 

About Jamion Christian, it's looking more and more as if GW will be a somewhat brief stepping stone to a long, successful coaching career at 1 or more BCS schools, but I wouldn't be too concerned when he leaves, because GW will always be a great destination for a coach because of the academics, the city and the elite talent in the D.C.area.  Look at the great play of local high school recruits in the Core 4/5 class(who were considered 2nd or 3rd tier recruits, but ended up being just as good as a number of the higher rated BCS recruits in their class), and local BCS transfers Mo Creek, Isiah Armwood and most likely Amir Harris to see how easy it can be to get real good players at GW.  

8/28/2019 8:31 am  #7

Thomas-I agree we are a bus stop for JC. My question is (to torture an analogy) are we a bus to LA or a ride on the Circulator? 3 or 4 years has the potential to bring us success and give us something that can be built on. The Siena treatment does no more than give us a rufi (sp?).

8/28/2019 9:27 am  #8

The things working in favor of JC staying for a while at GW are: 1) He grew up in Virginia and claims to have followed the GW program by watching their televised games; 2) His brother is now an Assistant Coach with the Wizards; 3) He may not want to leave DC so quickly and 4) He may not want the reputation of a coach constantly chasing his next job (after leaving Siena after one season.)  Buzz Willliams just left Virginia Tech after 5 seasons and was replaced by the former Wofford coach who grew up fairly close to Blacksburg.  The school made a point of saying that it was important to hire someone who they believed would want to be at VA Tech for a while.  Am not saying this will be JC's final coaching job but I can easily foresee him coaching at GW for the next 7-10 years at least.

8/28/2019 11:02 am  #9

Fred D,  I think GW is a luxury bus ride more than the free bus Circulator that goes through Wisconsin Avenue!! But seriously, as long as GW doesn't have some sort of scandal when a coach leaves, it should always be a good destination for any coach, especially a coach with ties to this area. The fact that Jamion Christian is a local guy with an assistant who has local/AAU ties is huge for GW's prospects and could result in a quick turnaround.

Gwmahem,  good points!!  Maybe Jamion Christian loves the area, wants to raise his family here and won't bolt for the first BCS school that makes him an offer. It's just that the successful A10 coaches are a prime target for BCS schools, and they will offer so much money that J.Christian will have no other choice but to take the money, especially since he's 37 and in the process of climbing up the coaching ladder. 

8/28/2019 4:14 pm  #10

JC seems an obvious choice for the list.
The day before he was hired at GW, if you were amassing a list he'd be on it.

8/28/2019 7:34 pm  #11

I think the thing that helps us he won’t go for power 5 career enders like Northwestern. I just hope he is: A)!Successful and B) likes GW.

Board footera