GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2021 9:59 am  #1

Starting Five By Coach...Part 3

Time to name the all-Penders and all-Hobbs teams.  Each is challenging for vastly different reasons.

To Tommy's defense, he only coached GW for three seasons, resulting in a severely limited player pool.  TJ Thompson was a Penders recruit but he becomes Hobbs property since he played his freshman season for KH.  Too bad because a 5 guard team was not out of the question.  (And yes, Albert Roma was considered and subsequently passed over.) 

TP did make the tournament during his first season with practically all Jarvis recruits which included Shawnta, Yegor, and Mike King  The TP recruits who played on that team were Andry Sola who would transfer to Drake where he put up back-to-back double figure scoring averages,  Dorien Brown, Jason Smith, and Mr. Roma, to give you an idea of what we're working with when it comes to TP recruits.

Without hesitation, let's name three guards to the team...Chris Monroe, SirValient Brown, and Bernard Barrow.  Of course, Chris might be playing power forward for this team by the time we're done.  Who is left to consider for the two spots?

Attila Cosby...This not only isn't a popularity contest but nobody ever said anything about disqualifying anyone with a criminal record.  True, Attila played for GW just one season, and had less productive numbers than his two seasons at Pitt.  Nevertheless, the pickings are slim.

Marquin Chandler..Developed his long distance game first by repeatedly using TP Jr's phone card  (an NCAA violation) and then at San Jose State where he nearly averaged 20 per game during his senior year.

Darnell Miller..Pretty sure he was a phone card guy too but I apologize if I'm wrong about that.  Darnell was an above-average defender whose offensive game was just that...offensive.  Nevertheless, I recall an NBA team looking at him and am pretty sure he was a participant in the then D League.  I'm going to select him as the 4th guy based on his defense.

Jason Smith..Had by far and away his best season in KH's first year but given how bare TP had left that cupboard, it stands to reason that somebody had to score and rebound.

Greg Collucci..I really don't want a 5 guard team, and Greg's overall game just wasn't good enough to convince me otherwise.

So, here's my TP team:

PG     Bernard Barrow
SG     SirValient Brown
SF     Darnell Miller
PF     Chris Monroe (you thought I was kidding?)
C        Attila Cosby

You could make a case for Chandler over Cosby but I went with height and boards.  Besides, is Chandler really going to average nearly 20 per game playing alongside SirValient and Chris?

Karl Hobbs Team:

Alphabetically by last name, here are 12 KH recruits who all bear consideration:

Diggs
Elliott
Hall
Hollis
Koundjia
Kromah
Mensah-Bonsu
Pinnock
Rice
Taylor
Thompson
Williams

Yes, this is a very formidable team.  Tough decisions need to be made.  Omar was very heralded coming in and his story which included his graduating on time given his high school's lack of emphasis on academics is an inspirational one.  Unfortunately, despite his abilities to showcase a complete set of skills, he does not make my top 5.  Regis was a menace on defense but just did not turn into the offensive force that he was advertised as (by KH).  Damian had the misfortune of playing on some bad teams.  Had Damian played on those NCAA tournament teams instead of say Mike Hall, it would have been interesting to see if he could have made this team because he did have this type of talent.  Rob also did his best work on subpar teams.  He went dancing a couple of times, as a limited role player as a freshman and as a key contributor as a sophomore.  Lasan had a terrific freshman season but I never felt he was the same player post-injury.  At least he gets to refer to himself as a national champion for the rest of his life.  TJ had a great career for GW but I have both Carl Elliott and Tony Taylor ahead of him on the pecking order.

This leaves me with 6 players for 5 spots.  Let's put Pops, Mike and JR on the team right away.  Am not sure I can leave Carl off given his clutch play, leadership and what often goes unsaid, how he elevated his game during his final season (once Pops/Mike/JR/Omar had left).  This leaves me with Tony and Maureece.  Am giving the nod to Tony here for having the more complete game.  This is tough for me because Mo is my answer to the question "what GW player would you want to see shoot when two points were absolutely needed?"  (Another Mo should also be considered for this question.)  So the all Hobbs team is:

PG  Taylor
SG   Elliott (or co-PG)
SF    Pinnock
PF    Hall
C      Pops

Let everyone know your thoughts.  

8/04/2021 10:12 am  #2

Re: Starting Five By Coach...Part 3

First, since we are judging recruits, TJ should be on Penders. 

That would knock Darnell Miller off, who is almost certainly the worst player mentioned so far for any coach.  I’d even put Andry Sola ahead of him (though he may have been a Jarvis recruit inherited by Penders).

For Hobbs, no knock on Tony Taylor but he’s well behind Elliot and even Maurice rice on my list.

I’d just have it as Elliot, Pinnock. hall, Omar, and Pops anyway.

8/04/2021 10:16 am  #3

Also, that Carl Elliot, who willed GW to an a10 tourney championship after Mike/pops/Omar/JR all graduated, made the ncaas 3 times, was the PG on the 16-0 season (and hit the putback to seal the undefeated season), was a GREAT defensive PG and a clutch shooter - that Carl wasn’t an automatic pick for you is why I believes he is probably the most underrated Colonial of the modern era.

Oh, and no player has more wins in a GW uniform than 4 year starter Carl Elliot.

8/04/2021 10:35 am  #4

Since we are judging by Starting 5 and not who recruited ....
TP
PG   SirVal
SG   Monroe
SF   Iturbe (Jarvis)
PF   Jaason Smith
C     DeMiranda 

KH
PG Carl Elliott
SG Maureece Rice
C Pops Mensah-Bonsu
SF JR Pinnock
PF Mike Hall

8/04/2021 3:42 pm  #5

FQ, not surprised by the Elliott reaction.  You have overrated him in my mind in the past and obviously, the reverse is also true.  In Pops, Mike and JR, you have two players who reached the NBA and a third who was drafted.  Not automatically including Carl in this group seems very fair to me.  He was a clutch performer but truth be told, his two biggest game winners was a nearly half court shot and a layup off of an air ball.  He was very turnover prone really throughout his career though he improved on this during his sophomore and junior seasons and his high total as a senior was more indicative of his minutes played and high usage than anything else.  I struggled with Tony over Mo Rice  but feel it's the right call by a hair due to Tony being a more complete player.  IMO, you are badly overrating Omar if he's on your top 5.

For the Penders team, Iturbe and DeMiranda each began their careers playing for Jarvis so based on my guidelines, each was ineligible to make the TP team even though both eventually played for him.  Similarly, TJ may have been recruited by the Penders regime but he never actually played for anyone other than Hobbs. 

Interesting question:  regarding the Marfo/C. Cmith/Bolden/Toro class, where should they be placed?  They never played an official game for ML but because the coaching change was made in September, they did receive some coaching from him, from the summer to the few games in Japan.  This is a bit different than TJ who really was never coached at all by TP.  

8/04/2021 4:42 pm  #6

Gwmayhem wrote:

FQ, not surprised by the Elliott reaction.  You have overrated him in my mind in the past and obviously, the reverse is also true. 

Totally agree w FQ. Carl Elliott is the winningest Colonial of all time and played in (I believe) 3 NCAA Tournaments (Ga Tech, UNCW/Duke, Vandy), including the only NCAA Tournament win for GW this millenium (UNCW). His steal and half-court heave at Dayton will rank as one of the best buzzer beaters in A-10 history, and his tip-in on the Wilmore miss sealed the 16-0 A-10 season and unleashed one of the best Smith Center celebrations ever. Not only is he a KH starting 5, he'd make my 2nd team all-time PG.
High school graduate? That's another story entirely. 

Last edited by Mentzinger (8/04/2021 4:42 pm)

8/04/2021 5:06 pm  #7

So (FQ and Mentzinger), is Carl in the same class (caliber) as Pops, Mike and JR?

Because I am certainly not saying that he wasn't a great player.  I just have him a notch below these three.

8/05/2021 6:09 pm  #8

As a college player?  Yes.  He’s in the same class. 

Let me ask you this, if on the 2017 team, you took off Car and replaced him with Mike or Pops or JR, do we make the ncaas?  I’d argue no.  Carl’s versatility, defense at the point of attack, ability to rebound from the guard spot, and clutch play pretty much willed us to an A10 tittle.  I’m not sure any of those other guys could have done that

Also, if you are talking about clutch shots, let’s not forget his NCAA tourney three that, IIRC, competed the comeback and got us to OT vs Wilmington for our only win since the Jarvis era.

Last edited by Free Quebec (8/05/2021 6:11 pm)

8/05/2021 7:49 pm  #9

Think as Carl was a big guard,good in many cases,but not necessarily as speedy as some.
So he made his outstanding contributions in different ways,including but not limited to tough,strong defense and the famed big shots.

8/05/2021 7:50 pm  #10

And basically being a winner,playing with a winner's mentality and basketball sense.

Board footera