GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/05/2021 9:10 am  #1

The Point Guard Position

There's a brief video out on Brayon Freeman where JC has commented that everyone is going to love Brayon.  His humor and enthusiasm are infectious.  Words to this effect anyway.  Brayon says he loves GW on the video, sings a bit during what looks like drills, etc.  All is good; it's August.

Make no mistake about this.  Brayon Freeman came to GW to become its starting point guard.  If he's not handed the keys right away, it will only be because JC does not want to apply too much pressure on him early on.  In case you are unaware, Brayon has been quarterbacking the types of high school teams who find their way to nationally televised games on ESPNU.  His pedigree is not unlike Pato's at Montverde or KevLar's at Montrose Christian, only Brayon was the floor general of his teams.

There are two other players on the roster who we've seen play the point guard position.  James Bishop and Amir Harris.  Let's discuss Amir first because his situation is simple.  First,  he must be healthy enough to play again at this level.  If he's not in acceptable health, then that ends his role in this discussion.  Assuming he's physically cleared to play, Amir should see some time at the point but not as the primary option.  He can clearly create mismatches, has very solid court vision, and has a fairly good handle for a player his size (though this area can always stand improvement).  Amir is a change-of-pace option at the point, someone who should spell the primary point guard and should only be given greater opportunities at the point on a game by game basis based on whether this move provides a huge competitive advantage for GW.

Onto James which is a more complex situation.  One question that I do not fully know the answer to is whether James ran the show last year out of necessity, because JNJ was not convincing in the role and there weren't really any other plausible alternatives, or because James came to GW to become its point guard for several more years.   Given the way James ran the offense last season, coupled with the amount of playing time he received, it stood to reason that just about all of his meaningful statistics would be high...points, shots, assists, turnovers.  The question becomes whether this is how James plays in general, or is this how James played on last year's (below-average talent) team?  Another question is whether James can be as effective, if not more, while playing off the ball?  The likelihood is that we will not need James to take so many shots this season given the upgrades in talent.  However, if he is the point guard and the ball is in his hands, will he repeat the tendency to be a scorer first or will he recognize that it's more logical to get teammates involved when they frankly are better players?

If this issue gets publicly addressed, JC will correctly point out that there's nothing wrong with playing two point guards together, or that basketball has become a positionless sport, particularly in the backcourt.  And to be fair, I can envision Brayon and James on the court at the same time, each bringing the ball up and setting up the offense on different possessions.  Nevertheless, I can foresee Brayon as a natural floor leader who is very comfortable playing the point.  This is not to say that Brayon will not look to score because he absolutely will.  It is to say that he will feel very comfortable with his decision-making because he has been doing this throughout his basketball life at  a pretty high level.  As for James, I don't want to write him off as a point guard just yet.  IMO, his decision-making improved over the course of last season but in all fairness, this facet of the game began miserably for him.  If he can limit his forced/bad shots and willingly get his teammates involved, this would be what every GW fan would want to see.

In the end, I see Brayon as someone who was born to do this and James as someone who is learning to do this.  My hope is that if the coaching staff realizes that one is simply more effective than the other, they will adjust their plans accordingly.  There should clearly be a role for both players on this team...that's why the coaches get paid the big bucks as it is said.       

8/05/2021 11:23 am  #2

Re: The Point Guard Position

I agree with your analysis Mayhem that a video like this one seems intentional as a sort of introduction to Brayon as a floor leader. If that’s the case and he starts the year as PG that means that Adams would be coming off the bench as a heat check type of player.

I do think that JB was probably brought to GW as a primary ball handler, as evidenced by the sudden departure of JNJ. It seems to me though that he can probably be a far more effective scorer if he is focused on just getting open and driving.

Brayon looks like the type of guard more than happy to distribute the rock, possibly a JoeMac type with a higher offensive ceiling. Should be fun to watch how it sorts itself out.

8/05/2021 11:27 am  #3

GWmayhem -- Intersting and smart comments about the point guard position. Thanks for taking the time to write the post, I think the key is what JC expects from his point guard. I believe in the past he has said he doesn't just want a distributor. For longtime GW fans, that sounds like an Alvin Pearsall who ran the offsite with an excellent assist to turnover ratio, always looking for the open teammate before shooting himself. So if JC doesn't want a Pearsall-type point guard, it will interesting to see if he can control his point guard or has a point guard  who on his own knows when to pass and when to shoot, while holding down the turnovers.  I am not sure that Bishop is the latter. And we know he isn't the former. On Freeman, the question for next season, is whether as a freshman he is ready to be the starting point guard. Not many freshman are ready to do that. 
Finally, the point guard situation will be a good test of JC's coaching ability.

8/05/2021 2:14 pm  #4

One thing I hope is remedied regardless of who is PG was last year's annoying predilection for JB to stand at the half court line pounding the ball into the ground for the first 20 seconds of every shot clock. That needs to end, whether it was because JB is not a natural PG or else just didn't have capable offensive pieces around him.
The argument for Freeman over Bishop could be one simply of longevity: Freeman has potentially 4 years to gel the offense while Bishop has only 2. Carl Elliott and Joe McDonald, arguably the two best at the position this century, prospered by having 4 years to develop.
Also remember Bamisile and Adams probably both have some capability at the 1 as well. 

8/05/2021 2:38 pm  #5

Bishop lead the nation most of the year in assist %.

8/05/2021 2:54 pm  #6

Great discussion.  For sure, I do not anticipate James or Brayon playing a style along the lines of an Alvin Pearsall or even a Joe McDonald for that matter.  JC wants scoring from the position and I believe that each would be able to provide it.  The point is not to be a pass-first point guard OR a shoot-first point guard.  Instead, the point guard needs to effectively read how the defense is focused and find the areas to exploit. 

You don't have to look past Shawnta to replicate the type of player I am referring to.  Shawnta was a scorer and a distributor.  The great ones can easily be both because they can read defenses and subsequently make the correct decisions.  

Assist % is all well and good but it's an inflated statistic when a player is playing almost the entire game, and has possession of the ball for much of that time.  Nobody is claiming that James never passed the ball or didn't compile assists.  He is a very gifted player non offense (defense remains to be seen).  If he is to play the point, it will all boil down to his decision making.  Is he taking up too much time on the shot clock as Mentiznger correctly points out?  Is he taking forced shots while closely defended?  Is he not spotting open shooters or better options too much of the time?

Interesting point about Bamisile and Adams.  I have not seen either play very often so did not think of either as options to play the point.  If they are capable, that's a big plus for this team.  

8/05/2021 6:02 pm  #7

The Dude wrote:

Bishop lead the nation most of the year in assist %.

He finished 43rd in Division I with only one player in the top 43 with a higher assists to turnover ratio. And only two players in the top 43 with higher assists per game. So if Bishop is our point guard this season, he has plenty of room for improvement.

8/10/2021 12:28 pm  #8

A video just posted the the men’s hoop Twitter.  Quick shot of Amir working out in a “scrimmage” or drill.  May be a good sign of him being physically ready to go this year

8/10/2021 1:12 pm  #9

Now that would be good news!

8/11/2021 3:57 pm  #10

Amir is ready to go; I talked to him briefly a couple of weeks ago and he said he was near full strength.

8/11/2021 5:18 pm  #11

Great news to read.

8/11/2021 6:53 pm  #12

That is excellent, if he gets to full strength.
Good post AT.

Board footera