GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2021 11:56 am  #21

Re: Starting Five By Coach...Part 4

My recollection was that the supporting staff for Mike Brown were in the class right after him.  (i.e. Mike O'Reilly, Troy Webster, Darryl Webster, Chester Wood) .  I also thought it was a very good and talented team that underperformed.  With a comparable OOC  strength of schedule to modern days, you could probably add 3 wins and subtract 3 losses, but no question in my mind that the team disappointed.   Still, those were good times, as there was a real air of optimism about the program, we were drawing large and enthusiastic crowds (how good does that sound) and there was a real buzz around Mike Brown as a legitimate NBA prospect,   As a bonus to your entertainment dollar, we were coached by a psychotic Bobby Knight disciple.  It is when LSF first became a season ticket holder (I was getting too old to sneak into the student section).    They may have been, as Mayhem put it, pedestrian teams but in the end,  I look back on the Mike Brown years very fondly.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (8/13/2021 11:58 am)

8/13/2021 12:18 pm  #22

Re: Starting Five By Coach...Part 4

One summer day, two of my buddies and I invited several people over to my DC residence for some crabs.  There were 8 of us and we ate outdoors, on the sidewalk outside of the townhouse I was living in.  Along comes Mike Brown walking down the street and I immediately invited him to have some crabs with us.  He looked reluctant at first but then shrugged his mammoth shoulders and gave me one of those "sure, why not" expressions.  This was the first of 8 annual crab-feasts the three of us threw, growing in size to well over 100 people and often culminating in the back room of a bar that we would rent out.  

One of us has since passed away. He always got a kick out of saying that former NBA star Mike Brown attended our very first crab-feast.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (8/13/2021 12:19 pm)

Board footera