GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2021 11:09 pm  #1

Brayon Freeman

What do you expect from Brayon Freeman year 1? Looks like the kind of player who could have an instant impact

11/19/2021 7:29 pm  #2

Re: Brayon Freeman

Brayon Freeman looked very talented but had some uneven games to start his GW career.

This guy is going to be a great GW player.  You can see it tonight.  

Highest rated recruit in GW history and you can see why,

11/19/2021 9:41 pm  #3

I thought the same thing after tonight's game. Came in after going down 0-10 in the 1st half and gave the team a real spark. Definitely some freshman kinks to work out but he'll be a good player.

11/19/2021 10:20 pm  #4

If he sticks around. Last good player we got to stick around was Yuta…

11/21/2021 5:41 pm  #5

MG14, for sure, agreed

11/21/2021 6:59 pm  #6

The Dude wrote:

Brayon Freeman looked very talented but had some uneven games to start his GW career.

This guy is going to be a great GW player.  You can see it tonight.  

Highest rated recruit in GW history and you can see why,

Dude, while I agree with the post, he’s not the highest rated recruit in GW history.  He’s not even close.

Shawnta Rogers was a top 30 HS recruit - easily our highest rated in history (and unsurprisingly, probably our best player). 

Pay Ngongba was a top 50ish recruit.  Very highly rated. 

Rickly Lucas and JR Pinnock we’re both top 60 or so - in the same year.

Omar Williams was borderline top 100 and had more hype than Freeman.  Matt Cimino was a top 150 recruit, just like Brayon (he was highly regarded and chose Gw over Indiana, which made his bust even more frustrating).  Yinka came with incredible buzz, including playing in the Capitol Classic.  He wasn’t “rated” because overseas guys/one year prep school guys weren’t rated, but if you were around the program in ‘92 you knew that at the time he was considered the best recruit in history (Kwame and Vaughn Jones also came with a lot of buzz from their Capitol Classic appearance).  Max Blank was featured in Sports Illustated as one of the nation’s top recruits. Gapare is more highly rated than Freeman was.   I’m sure I’m forgetting other top 100/top150 guys. 

Again, I think Freeman is great and JC’s failure to get him back in the game quickly when he was our best player Friday was a major reason we lost, but it’s just not accurate or fair to the others to claim he’s our highest rated recruit ever. Please retire that incorrect line.

12/09/2021 1:37 pm  #7

Hello world, here's Brayon, quite the last two games.   Points, steals, dimes, looking good.

Every good GW period the last 3 decades has begun with a Freshman recruit 4 year starter at the helm

Shawnta 
Carl Elliott 
JoeMac
Brayon Freeman the next one?

As noted before he's the highest ranked recruit per 24/7 in GW history, and has  been looking worth of it:

https://247sports.com/college/george-washington/Sport/Basketball/AllTimeRecruits/

Some obvious misses, recruits are hardly a sure thing, but while the top 15 includes Marfo and Cimino it also includes JR Pinnock, Mo Rice and Carl Elliott.  Atop the list, Brayon Freeman, pride of Arlington VA.

12/09/2021 2:13 pm  #8

You really should look at the list again.  First the earliest year I saw at a quick glance was 2003, So really all time Where's Swanta?   Second, the two players listed after Freeman are ranked better nationally than Freeman (Marfo and Cimino) , So really highest rated?  Maybe you mean position and not National but still these rating are pretty bogus.  

12/09/2021 2:29 pm  #9

Well, not too surprisingly, internet recruit sites do not pre-date the Internet. Or even start at the very dawn of it.

So if you want to see where 3 Fingered Stuff McInnis ranks also, this list wont suffice.

Either way, Brayon is #1.   I took a look at our list vs the other A10 schools, for whatever reason we've had a lot of misses (everyone has some) but check out that 11-12-13 run of JR Pinnock, Carl Elliott and Mo Rice.   
easier to evaluate HS guards, I think you do see a lot of misses on the these lists, at this level in particular, but all levels with the frontcourt players.

12/09/2021 5:29 pm  #10

Dude: you're the one who said all-time.  Put your comments in the proper context.  

12/09/2021 5:40 pm  #11

Why does it matter?
They're not in high school anymore and the transfers have already played in college, without much distinction, except maybe a bit for Knapp, who doesn't play. What would seem to be important is whether GW can win with the players we have recruited?
At our level, we need obviously both good recruits and the diamond in the rough kind.
In any case, we're beside ourselves with joy (including myself) that at home we were able to beat one of the worst (1-11) teams in college basketball.
We are 3-8, so right now, the high school rankings of our recruits and transfers don't seem to matter in our case, except perhaps to make the situation more ironic.

12/09/2021 7:46 pm  #12

Great to see such enthusiasm, as always.  

12/14/2021 12:52 am  #13

Did it again tonight, a superb recruit, a tremendous addition to GW.

2/24/2022 2:43 pm  #14

Does Brayon make the All Rookie team?

I think Bishop's recent mini slump slides him to 3rd team all league along with JoeBam who will also make 3rd team all A10

2/25/2022 11:26 am  #15

I think Brayon does make it.

I’m assuming it’s just for true freshman, not transfers or second year freshmen (otherwise Brayon probably doesn’t make it).

As for JoeBam on the third team, it’s possible but tough. I think he’s competing with Jordan Hall, D’Shawn Schwartz, Noah Fernandes, and Darius Quisenbury for the last spot on the third team, plus voters may put a Dayton guy on just because it seems hard to leave off everyone from the number 2 team despite none having standout stats.

May depend on where we finish and if voters really want to put two GW players on. 

I’m assuming he’s behind these 14 players right now (not in order): 
Brajkovic, Loyer, Lee, Vince Williams, Oduro, Yuri Collins, Grant Golden, Tyler Burton, Jacob Gilyard, Lofton, Ossunyi, Chubs Ohams, Jalen Adaway, and James Bishop.

Not impossible for him to move ahead of any of those guys and I could obviously be wrong, but as of right now, deserving or not, it’s hard for me to see voters picking him over any of those 14 for a variety of reasons.   There’s also a few guys I didn’t mention who could also move ahead or Joe in voters’ eyes (like Gibson Jimerson, best 3pt shooter in the league).

Last edited by Free Quebec (2/25/2022 11:29 am)

2/25/2022 11:40 am  #16

Free Quebec wrote:

I’m assuming it’s just for true freshman, not transfers or second year freshmen (otherwise Brayon probably doesn’t make it).

As for JoeBam on the third team, it’s possible but tough. I think he’s competing with Jordan Hall, D’Shawn Schwartz, Noah Fernandes, and Darius Quisenbury for the last spot on the third team, plus voters may put a Dayton guy on just because it seems hard to leave off everyone from the number 2 team despite none having standout stats.

May depend on where we finish and if voters really want to put two GW players on.

Brajkovic, Loyer, Lee, Vince Williams, Oduro, Yuri Collins, Grant Golden, Tyler Burton, Jacob Gilyard, Lofton, Ossunyi, Chubs Ohams, Jalen Adaway, and James Bishop.

Not impossible for him to move ahead of any of those guys and I could obviously be wrong, but as of right now, deserving or not, it’s hard for me to see voters picking him over any of those 14 for a variety of reasons. There’s also a few guys I didn’t mention who could also move ahead or Joe in voters’ eyes (like Gibson Jimerson, best 3pt shooter in the league).

If we finish top 7, I think we get two players across the three teams. If not probably just one. Brayon I believe will be all-rookie but it will be close.

2/25/2022 8:29 pm  #17

Free Quebec wrote:

Not impossible for him to move ahead of any of those guys and I could obviously be wrong, but as of right now, deserving or not, it’s hard for me to see voters picking him over any of those 14 for a variety of reasons. There’s also a few guys I didn’t mention who could also move ahead or Joe in voters’ eyes (like Gibson Jimerson, best 3pt shooter in the league).

Maybe this is recency bias, but hasn't JoeBam surpassed Bishop?  Overall stats are better I think.

2/25/2022 9:30 pm  #18

You know, defense does count in the overall evaluation of a player

2/25/2022 11:08 pm  #19

JoeBam may have passed Bishop for us, but the long history of this award says most voters start with the scoring leaders., where James is near the top. Plus, Bishop is the guy drawing double teams (which is part of why Joe has been taking over lately). 

A couple more games over 20 might be enough for Joe.

3/01/2022 9:57 am  #20

If asked who the most complete player is on this year's team, several players might be mentioned.  Brayon Freeman should most definitely be one of them.  

Among the team's guards and wings, his shooting percentage is second to Joe Bamisile.  Leads the team in three point shooting percentage  after looking past Knapp's 50% mark on 3-6 (I do not mean to upset JF over this.)  He edges out James Bishop in rebounding despite playing nearly 8 fewer minutes per game.  Leads the team in assists.  Is second to Brendan Adams in assist to turnover ratio.  Tied for the team leader in steals with Joe despite playing 4 1/2 fewer minutes per game.  Against A10 competition, he is scoring 11.4 points per game while handing out 4 assists per game.

The eye test will tell you what the numbers can't.  He plays with poise.  He makes mistakes but then does not dwell over them.  He has "blow by" abilities which is to say that he can beat his man off the dribble.  Joe McDonald and Carl Elliott were both outstanding point guards but neither owned this ability.  SirValient Brown had this but it was hard to view him as a point guard despite this being the position he played.  Tony Taylor?  Maybe I'm "misremembering" but I don't recall him beating guys with his quickness that often.  The guy who of course comes to mind is Shawnta, very (ironically) large shoes to fill.

As both a point guard and a freshman, it only makes sense to watch Brayon defer to his teammates perhaps more than he should.  Sunday's game wasn't the first time that Brayon got the team going with his scoring (he scored the team's first 7 points) only to see his game more or less fade into the background thereafter.  Am not sure whether we are going to see this for the rest of the season, but I'm convinced that a key to this team's success is to become less reliant on James and Joe's scoring, which means that players like Brayon, Ricky, Brendan and Qwanzi need more opportunities to step up their game.  In JC's first season at GW, the team was so reliant upon Armel, Jameson and JNJ for points that they became very easy to guard.  When we play like we did on Sunday, with James and Joe taking nearly 60% of the team's shots, 80% of the team's three point shots, and 75% of the team's free throw attempts, we fall back into this trap of being too easy to defend.  

Brayon has shown an innate feel for knowing what to do with the ball.  Many college point guards spend 4 years never figuring this out.  His high school and AAU experiences have prepared him so well to excel at this level.  Kevin Larsen (Montrose Christian) and Patricio Garino (Montverde Academy)   are two great examples of players who thrived in the college game largely because of the aquality of the teams they played on and the competition they went up against.  Brayon is in this same boat. 

Hoping to see a more balanced attack from here on in, with Brayon playing an instrumental role. 

Board footera