GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2022 8:59 am  #41

Re: Joe Bamisile

Hopefully whomever comes next can change his mind

3/16/2022 9:03 am  #42

Florida Colonial wrote:

Hopefully whomever comes next can change his mind

Sadly Not A Chance He Returns. Has the rule changed? Does a coaching change negate the 1 year rule?

3/16/2022 9:06 am  #43

Always a chance however slim. Josh Oduro entered the transfer portal and Kim English convinced him otherwise 

3/16/2022 9:17 am  #44

No one can be shocked at this and expect a large exodus. More to follow. This is what happens when you remove the coach. 

FredD, as I posted elsewhere a coaching change will negate the rule but usually through a waiver. However, I am sure that GW will not fight it given that these kids came here to play for JC.

3/16/2022 10:05 am  #45

Once I learned that the coaching change would allow for an immediate transfer, I would have been shocked if he stayed.  Bamisile had his year in the majors, was sent down for  to the minors for seasoning, and is now ready to return to the majors, where he will undoubtedly be wanted and where he undoubtedly wants to be.   Christian leaving merely opened the door for the return.  I truly doubt that if Christian stayed and he was allowed to tranfer, he would have been gone.    JoeB is a gamer and a showman (which I don't mean in a derogatory sense).  He wants the ball at the end of the game.   He needs to play before big, loud  crowds in meaningful games.    He had some obvioius flaws in his game in terms of shakey defense and questionable judgment on offense, but by the end of the season I was seeing improvement, at least in the defense,   He also signficantly improved his 3 point shooting.   I believed that he could have been first team all conference  calibre by next season and losing him is a real kick in the head, and in the end, Joe had to do what was best for him, and does anybody really think that staying here rather than moving up would have been best?

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (3/16/2022 10:08 am)

3/16/2022 10:23 am  #46

I paraphrase—-Grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things
I can-and the wisdom to know the difference-taking the world as it is,not as I would have it.
That being said I’m bummed.Not that JC is leaving-but that Joe is.

3/16/2022 10:27 am  #47

Best case scenario is that Joe (and likely others) will enter the portal because you have to do this in order to transfer but remain open towards staying.  Am torn between making sure we hire someone quickly so a new coach at least has an opportunity to retain our better players and the athletic department taking their time to make sure that they get this (hiring a new coach) right.

For those of us not getting any younger (and having that phrase really mean something), things look just awful right now.  We talked about a 5 year plan once ML departed.  Looks like we're now doubling this. 

3/16/2022 10:54 am  #48

I'm really sad Joe is leaving. He's such a fun player and is awesome off the court as well. As has been mentioned, this is what happens when you fire the coach...

3/16/2022 11:57 am  #49

We'll see what happens. A new coach could change his mind, once one is in place for those who lament
his loss.
   A cautionary tale is that he had the same skill set in the ACC. Somehow, Virginia Tech beat Duke and North Carolina to win the ACC championship without Bamisile.
   Joe has a starring role here that he wouldn't get at Tech. He has a good thing going and that's uncertain elsewhere. Also became a real member of the GW community it seems like. Up to him if he wishes to throw that away for uncertainty.

3/16/2022 12:12 pm  #50

jf wrote:

We'll see what happens. A new coach could change his mind, once one is in place for those who lament
his loss.
   A cautionary tale is that he had the same skill set in the ACC. Somehow, Virginia Tech beat Duke and North Carolina to win the ACC championship without Bamisile.
   Joe has a starring role here that he wouldn't get at Tech. He has a good thing going and that's uncertain elsewhere. Also became a real member of the GW community it seems like. Up to him if he wishes to throw that away for uncertainty.

I don't think you understand very well how this all works. Players come to a school because they like the coach (or think they like the coach). Joe came here to play for JC based on a relationship. GW just figuratively killed his coach.  He is undoubtedly hurt and angry at GW for doing this as he should be. The fact he went into the portal so quickly tells you he is out of here. You can hope and dream but there is about a 1% chance he returns. 

The idea that we can get rid of JC and retain all or even most of the players we want to retain is near laughable in this era of transferring. That was the price you paid to get rid of JC. Loyalty is always a two-way street.

Last edited by GWRising (3/16/2022 12:13 pm)

3/16/2022 12:15 pm  #51

jf wrote:

his loss.

Joe is better than Virginia Tech’s current guards.   He was stuck behind some upperclassman there (including Tyrese Radford, who departed for Texas A&M).   Storm Murphy is an experienced solid PG so different position, and Darrius Maddox seems very talented (but has also been broken in extremely slowly, like Joe was during the covid year).  But I’d take Joe over Naheim Alleyne and Hunter Catoor in a heartbeat (both are more pure shooters, but Joe is much better all around than either).  What VT has that we didn’t is two versatile, star bigs in Aluma and Mutts.

I’m hoping Joe changes his mind, but I understand if he doesn’t and I’ll root for him wherever he goes. 

One thing that did occur to me is that if we did get the Miami Associate coach, that Bam, Brayon, and Bishop are kind of similar to Moore, Wong, and McGusty as the interchangeable aggressive guards he had at Miami.  I would think modeling out style with those three, should they be convinced to stay, after Miami’s style this year would make a lot of sense.

3/16/2022 12:41 pm  #52

We shouldn't be all that confident that Freeman, Bamisile and Bishop would have stayed if JC hadn't been dismissed.  

3/16/2022 12:55 pm  #53

GW73 wrote:

We shouldn't be all that confident that Freeman, Bamisile and Bishop would have stayed if JC hadn't been dismissed.  

Yes, you should have. Nobody was going anywhere based on meetings with the players.

3/16/2022 12:57 pm  #54

Again, had JC returned, Bishop and Bamisile would each have been forced to sit out a year.  Not out of the question considering that neither had to sit out a year as a result of their original transfers.  But, a deterrent nevertheless.   Brayon would have been free to transfer without sitting out a year.

3/16/2022 12:58 pm  #55

GWRising wrote:

No one can be shocked at this and expect a large exodus. More to follow. This is what happens when you remove the coach. 

FredD, as I posted elsewhere a coaching change will negate the rule but usually through a waiver. However, I am sure that GW will not fight it given that these kids came here to play for JC.

Agreed that players will leave when a team changes coaches. Also, players left without coaching changes (Jamison, JNJ, Maceo). That's the nature of the beast.

And I'll be sad to see Joe go (and sad to see Brayon or anybody else go if they go). But the team, with the players they had, finished 12-18 and 8-9 in A-10 play in a weak conference. And they stunk in  the A-10 tourney. While you believed there was direction, none was evident from the outside (and with no agenda because I have no inside connection). Yes, players will leave. Also, new players will come. I think we can all agree that we hope the new coach sets a good path forward.

Last edited by danjsport (3/16/2022 1:00 pm)

3/16/2022 1:31 pm  #56

danjsport wrote:

And I'll be sad to see Joe go (and sad to see Brayon or anybody else go if they go). But the team, with the players they had, finished 12-18 and 8-9 in A-10 play in a weak conference. And they stunk in  the A-10 tourney. While you believed there was direction, none was evident from the outside (and with no agenda because I have no inside connection). Yes, players will leave. Also, new players will come. I think we can all agree that we hope the new coach sets a good path forward.

Yep, if you take a step back at look at things soberly, Fordham, with a first year HC, finished with a better overall record, better KenPom, and almost as good a conference record. All this with losing their top scorer before conference play.

Meanwhile we were in year 3 and only progressed from 241 in KenPom to 225.  Same number of overall wins as a team featuring Shawn Walker Jr and Javy Langerica.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/16/2022 1:31 pm)

3/16/2022 1:32 pm  #57

Players only stay when they have no choice - like when you fire the wrong person in September, an obvious tactic deployed by GW to keep Tyler and company. We continue to be haunted by that decision and others 6 years later with many more to come. Thanks to Deadspin, the college basketball community knows. 

I'm hearing more will soon follow.

3/16/2022 2:58 pm  #58

With Joe's personality and showmanship, he can probably land a decent NIL/collective deal at multiple schools beyond anything imaginable at GW that will help him fund and support his many non-basketball talents and interests as well as still giving him an opportunity to play the minutes he craves.  

3/16/2022 3:54 pm  #59

The key to any program is the coach. If the University picks the right one this time, things will certainly work out. And it's not like guys didn't leave during Christian's three seasons: Jamison Battle, Chase Paar, Jameer Nelson, Jr., Ace Stallings, Maceo Jack, Sloan Seymour, Tyler Brelsford, Terry Nolan, Shandon Brown, 

3/16/2022 4:02 pm  #60

moneybox wrote:

The key to any program is the coach. If the University picks the right one this time, things will certainly work out. And it's not like guys didn't leave during Christian's three seasons: Jamison Battle, Chase Paar, Jameer Nelson, Jr., Ace Stallings, Maceo Jack, Sloan Seymour, Tyler Brelsford, Terry Nolan, Shandon Brown, 

Terry Nolan and Shandon Brown never played for JC. That would be like saying Joe left for the new coach.

Only two of the rest actually impacted team performance - Battle and Nelson

You forgot Mezie, Toro and Shawn Walker lol.

Last edited by GWRising (3/16/2022 4:03 pm)

Board footera