GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/02/2021 1:11 pm  #21

Re: Reference to GW MBB Budget

School has several outside revenue streams -- booster support, ticket sales and advertising. Not sure why they would want to compromise one stream by continuing to give away the product for free in the long-standing futile effort to generate more ticket sales and donations. BTW, women's tickets are no longer continued as freebies for men's season ticket holders. Based on the number of NEW faces I'd see at women's games who were also men's season ticket holders, I suspect that few people opted to receive the tickets and definitely fewer chose to use them. It's easy to complain about the product but those of us who regularly attend the women's games are hardly strained or discouraged in having to once again pay for greatly reduced prices for WBB season tickets. GW clearly has institutional restraints in trying to meet the expectations of the dedicated but limited fan base represented here. Dr. Mike has touched on several of these. What hurts is that they are typically self-imposed limitations from above and the school's perceived self image of itself as an elite academic institution that merely tolerates intercollegiate athletics in its midst. Thought the LeBlanc era would change that but internal and external events in addition to his own missteps and miscalculations sent that ship sailing (not rowing, ask the men's crew). We wondered what would happen when Chernak (not Trachtenburg) left and we got a university President who owned a GW letter jacket and came to a game a year. LeBlanc was the big sports fan from a big athletic school but that too has fallen short. I have no illusions or delusions about what GW will become with a new President. I can only hope for the best. But I also have no doubts that everyone in the Athletic Department from Tanya on down are fully committed to being successful on and off the athletic fields. We'll see how well they can all do with one hand tied behind their back. Too bad we don't have a fencing team.

9/02/2021 3:26 pm  #22

Poog, there's no other way to say it....

Please start posting here more often.  

9/03/2021 3:40 pm  #23

Thanks Poog. Makes me reassess  the rehashing of old topics and grievances because it really does come down to “one arm behind the back.”  And if nothing really change or improve  why not go bezerk about 5 years ago? Which leads me in hotter moments to think what am I supporting?

9/03/2021 5:37 pm  #24

Yes who would want GW when .....Utah St is calling!

Board footera