GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2022 1:12 pm  #121

Re: Colonials in the Portal

What a surprise - the GW Basketball board has now turned into a pissing contest about race and religion.

I don't agree with Virginia Ave about race being a factor in the removal of JC. However, I do agree with him about how it's funny a bunch of "basketball experts" on this site are condemning young men for exercising their right to play elsewhere. I would have left this sunken ship long ago. In fact, I never would have come to GW to play in the 1st place after the 2016-2017 season. We have lost on numerous quality recruits because of the state of our program these last few years. Lets not rag on the ones who decided to give it a try and were then disappointed.

To top it all off GW69 now has to remind everyone he and half this board are Jewish. What's that got to do with anything? Spend your time canvassing the gyms for the talented "Jewish" HS players that are D-1 talented and have them come to GW. We can certainly use the help. 

Lets leave religion and politics off this board. We have enough problems here attracting interest as it is.

4/20/2022 1:17 pm  #122

Joel-I was making fun of Virginia Ave nonsense.How ridiculous it is.Sorry you didn’t get it.

4/20/2022 2:09 pm  #123

Racism may end up being the unintended consequence from a perception standpoint.  So, I don't believe that JC's termination had a single thing to do with his race.  Am fairly convinced that nepotism, if this definition extends to friends or colleagues, was the cause.  The CFO came from Miami, wanted Caputo, we wasted money on a national search firm, and then Caputo was hired.

But to the outside world who might be paying attention:

a) Hobbs was released after his final two seasons were appreciably better than his two preceding seasons.  Even though these last two teams paled greatly in comparison to KH's best seasons, one can argue that KH was fired as he was in the process of turning the program back in the right direction.

b) MoJo's interim season was good enough that the school (really, Nero) extended his contract and removed the interim tag, an indication that the school was putting its faith in MoJo over the long term..  MoJo was eventually fired, after Nero was gone, with either 2 or 3 years remaining on his contract. 

c) JC arrived with a five year contract only to be fired after Year 3.  His player turnover was substantial but nevertheless, he hadn't received the opportunity of turning a full recruiting class (4 years), a fairly standard guideline.  Plus, a case could be made that the team was making progress under JC, with most key players scheduled to return in 2022-23.

I don't believe that any of these coaches were relieved of their duties due to any racist concerns or views.  However, the school can not control what the perception might be among the black community.  The reality is that firing a coach with multiple years remaining on his contract is a terrible look.  The early returns (and they are early) is that we haven't attracted many players to play here yet despite an inordinate amount of playing time to offer.  Plus, the coaching staff has not come together as quickly as many would hope.  All of this may have absolutely nothing to do with racist concerns, or it may have quite a lot to do with this.  I can only hope this (racist concerns) is not the case.

4/20/2022 2:19 pm  #124

Can any coach have a full recruiting class of 4 yrs in the new transfer era?  I doubt it, so I think it makes that criteria meaningless.

4/20/2022 2:55 pm  #125

This conversation is veering ugly.
Isn't this supposed to be about Colonials in the portal? 
To try and steer it back. Disappointed with Brayon's decision and didn't he have
a history from high school on of switching schools? Not sure if it is a great idea for him, but
that's certainly his and his family's decision to make.
  And though painful, worth it for a new coach. We weren't going anywhere
good.
But thought Brayon's rationale was mature. While it seemed odd to go to Rhode Island at first, the fact that he had a comfort level of a coach from one of his schools is understandable and his Hatchet comments ultimately allowed him to leave with some grace.

4/20/2022 3:31 pm  #126

CAM wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

We probably had Tyler penciled in for 30 minutes a game next season.  

I can't tell if you're joking or not but from the limited minutes we saw Warner he did not seem like a 30 mpg type of guy even on a bad team haha. Always looked a little bit lost on the court to me.

It was satire

4/20/2022 5:04 pm  #127

It’s fairly clear LSF that satire is not appreciated or even understood here.Will someone come out and play with us?I think not.

4/21/2022 9:36 am  #128

I should've known. But some people have some strange ideas here so you can never be too sure...

4/21/2022 10:55 am  #129

Good point CAM!

4/21/2022 9:26 pm  #130

GW69 - Gimelstob was Jewish.  We had our quota.

4/23/2022 6:22 am  #131

Old friend Mezie Offurum is going to James Madison

Shane Mettlen @Shane_DNRSports 7h 
JMU secured a commitment from Mount St. Mary's forward Mezie Offurum, according to his Instagram. 6-8 Grad transfer who played two years at The Mount and two for GW.

4/27/2022 12:00 pm  #132

Ricky Lindo Returning per twittersphere 

4/27/2022 12:07 pm  #133

I don't think Ricky worked well in our system last year, and I was very frustrated with his turnover rate for much of the season. Hopefully CC has a better plan for him besides being an occasional three-point shooter.

4/27/2022 12:15 pm  #134

Not portal per se but James Bishop is listed as an NBA Draft early entrant with a few other A-10 folks.

As far as I know he still has the option to return to GW

https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/46/2022/04/2022-Early-Entry-Candidates.pdf

4/27/2022 12:18 pm  #135

CAM wrote:

I don't think Ricky worked well in our system last year, and I was very frustrated with his turnover rate for much of the season. Hopefully CC has a better plan for him besides being an occasional three-point shooter.

Ricky returning would be good news, especially with a new coach.  As for his not working well in our system last season, please refresh me…what was our system?

4/27/2022 3:05 pm  #136

I guess this is CC’s first recruit….and a good one.

4/27/2022 3:15 pm  #137

You are indeed right, Mike K.
Just posted exactly on that thought in the recruit/transfer thread without seeing this.

6/16/2022 11:08 am  #138

jf wrote:

How does this make sense from Brayon's perspective?
Rhode Island not a step or down. No challenge or promotion/opportunity to shine more.
Academics worse.
Kingston,Rhode Island not a big city. Not the easiest way for let's say, very involved family, to visit,except drive,compared to other location by flights/train.
Outside of living away from home in general,what would make this attractive?

Granted I'm biased and love URI, but I think there was a lot for him to find attractive in this move. Pairing with your old high school coach as an assistant under a head coach who has been successful in the A10. Beautiful, modern arena. Beautiful campus. Fantastic beaches 10-15 minutes away. Obviously not world class food like DC but definitely good restaurants in our own right.

I also don't think it's as difficult to get to Kingston as portrayed. It's a 35 minute drive from the airport to the Ryan Center, which can be comparable to bigger city schools depending on where their city's airport is and city traffic and it's only a mile and a half to the local Amtrak station.

6/17/2022 10:36 am  #139

RhowdyRam02 wrote:

jf wrote:

How does this make sense from Brayon's perspective?
Rhode Island not a step or down. No challenge or promotion/opportunity to shine more.
Academics worse.
Kingston,Rhode Island not a big city. Not the easiest way for let's say, very involved family, to visit,except drive,compared to other location by flights/train.
Outside of living away from home in general,what would make this attractive?

Granted I'm biased and love URI, but I think there was a lot for him to find attractive in this move. Pairing with your old high school coach as an assistant under a head coach who has been successful in the A10. Beautiful, modern arena. Beautiful campus. Fantastic beaches 10-15 minutes away. Obviously not world class food like DC but definitely good restaurants in our own right.

I also don't think it's as difficult to get to Kingston as portrayed. It's a 35 minute drive from the airport to the Ryan Center, which can be comparable to bigger city schools depending on where their city's airport is and city traffic and it's only a mile and a half to the local Amtrak station.

If Brayon doesn't care about his education quality then yeah sure. His playing time will be sacrificed by a lot, and he is has no home fans close to him. Dumb move by his part and we will see him in the portal next year.

7/07/2022 11:44 am  #140

Not really portal, but RI natives Justin Mazzula and ML-era GW target Andrew Chrabascz joining URI as grad assistants.

https://gorhody.com/news/2022/7/7/mens-basketball-chrabascz-mazzulla-join-rams-as-graduate-assistants.aspx

Board footera