GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/13/2022 9:07 am  #21

Re: Caputo in the Media

GW picked 12th in the preseason poll

10/13/2022 9:10 am  #22

Fordham and the bonnies should not be above us at the very least

10/13/2022 10:28 am  #23

CC didn't say anything of substance on the ESPN broadcast.  It was mostly a backslapping contest between him, Grant, and Martin.

One thing Martin said is he spent the summer travelling to rival campuses to recruit kids off the transfer portal. Scummy move if you ask me.

Hopefully the Field of 68 live podcast can ask CC 1-2 questions about the actual team INTRODUCING THE ATLANTIC 10 INSIDER PODCAST! Join the Field of 68 crew LIVE from A-10 media day! - YouTube

10/13/2022 11:13 am  #24

Caputo is on the Field of 68 podcast now

10/13/2022 11:26 am  #25

Is Lurch going to other campuses to recruit players who have not announced their transfer?
Isn't that interference (not that Frank would do anything like that), or is that allowed now?

10/13/2022 12:04 pm  #26

With the complete understanding that this is definitely the time of year to drink all of the Kool-Aid, there's a lot to like about CC.  Thought he did very well today.  He has a sneaky-good sense of humor and seems clearly ready to take on the role of a head coach.  What was very impressive is that he appears to know exactly how to sell GW on recruits.  He's selling the city campus, the city, the academics viewed within the prism of his program (how many top 60 academic institutions play in multi-bid leagues?  Maybe 15?)  He often mentions 5 Maryland players starting for the Final 4 team at George Mason.

Enjoyed him saying that he doesn't know how to win but he does know how to eliminate losing.  Great philosophy that reinforces the notion that too many turnovers and mental mistakes will almost always result in losing.  Unlike Jamion who assembled a staff based largely on coaches he knew and had worked with before, CC has assembled his staff based on coaches who knew the A10, the DMV, or both, without worrying that he hadn't coached with them in the past.  I think this is going to make a big difference.

Also said that the team he has for the most part inherited has been great to work with.  Great to hear.  Interesting analysis on Max.  Because he hardly played last year, he views him as a true freshman, based on experience even though this is not really the case.  But on that basis, he feels that Max would be an outstanding true freshman to have.

My biggest concern has to do with how he handles himself and his team once they face adversity.  Unlike Coach L. who was everyone's favorite uncle (at least when the cameras were rolling), will CC keep his cool, lose his temper, or a bit of both?  Will his players love playing for him even when things aren't going their way?  Not at all expecting him to be a perfect gentleman under any and all circumstances (in reality, no coach truly is) but the one thing that nobody has seen out of CC is how he will comport himself as a head coach.  Will he be tolerant and patient?  Will he blow a quick fuse?  Will he effectively read his players and know that the best ways to motivate will likely vary from player to player?  

Am certainly excited to watch him begin his journey.

10/13/2022 4:17 pm  #27

I agree Coach Caputo spoke very well in his interview today. He really underscored how much Bishop and Adams love the game and how hard they work. We actually have a very experienced team: besides Bishop and Lindo, Harris, Dean, Brown and the incoming point guard all have played at least two years of college hoops and several of them are post graduates.

10/28/2022 3:58 pm  #28

10/28/2022 4:06 pm  #29

Injury bug and COVID bug recently

10/28/2022 6:23 pm  #30

Thank you for posting this FC.  Yeah, "injury bug and Covid bug" jumped out at me.  Mentioned Hunter being out and clearly others are also.   Ugh.

10/28/2022 7:43 pm  #31

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Thank you for posting this FC.  Yeah, "injury bug and Covid bug" jumped out at me.  Mentioned Hunter being out and clearly others are also.   Ugh.

Ugh indeed. But perhaps better now than in February? (Despite what people want to believe, the virus is still out there and still killing people, you can stay vaxxed and boosted and wear a mask if you want to contribute to that no longer being the case...)

11/03/2022 1:40 pm  #32

First, WaPo wrote an honest to goodness positive article about Caputo and GW.  When was the last time that happened?  https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/03/chris-caputo-george-washington

Second, Caputo was on the Atlantic 10 Insider Podcast, recorded live from Tonic (starts at 15:00): The Atlantic 10 Insider | Podcast on Spotify

Third, on DC News Now tonight: https://www.dcnewsnow.com/sports/local-sports/dc-sports/george-washington-university/1-on-1-with-gw-mens-basketball-coach-chris-caputo/

Last edited by GW0509 (11/04/2022 6:23 am)

11/03/2022 4:40 pm  #33

Half-listened to this interview while working and I have to say that I really enjoy listening to CC.  He clearly has taken the time to learn about GW's program history and you can really sense how appreciative he is for this opportunity.  He also has a very good sense of humor.  To illustrate, he was asked something along the lines of what he will do if guys aren't playing the way he wants or something like this, and was asked whether he would just send them to the bench.  Alluding to the team's depth, he commented that he didn't feel he had the luxury of sending anyone to the bench, right now.  Good stuff.

12/03/2022 10:14 am  #34

1/23/2023 7:29 pm  #35

https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1617673664761151488

.@coach_c_caputo will join @JunksRadio LIVE tomorrow at 7 a.m. on @1067theFan and @NBCSWashington. #RaiseHigh

Last edited by trops_fc (1/23/2023 7:30 pm)

1/23/2023 8:22 pm  #36

Thanks for the heads up

1/23/2023 10:13 pm  #37

Nice podcast. Thanks.

1/23/2023 10:21 pm  #38

The Washington Post is so out of line to summarize our big win v Dayton in ONE SENTENCE. That's all they did Sunday and didn't even show the game box score. I sent an LTE blasting the lack of coverage for GW and Mason.

1/23/2023 10:32 pm  #39

The Post can't afford the space to give us a decent writeup. They need an entire page to cover girls high school basketball. Talk about being politically correct. 

1/24/2023 7:11 am  #40

AT Hiker wrote:

The Washington Post is so out of line to summarize our big win v Dayton in ONE SENTENCE. That's all they did Sunday and didn't even show the game box score. I sent an LTE blasting the lack of coverage for GW and Mason.

They have the numbers. They cover what draws clicks and eyes. Are they pushing women’s sports? Yes, but it’s not at the expense of any mens cbb coverage. Better to encourage the Hatchet and hunt the internet.

Board footera