GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2023 9:52 am  #41

Re: Updates on GW/EEOC Lawsuit

Sorry you are upset-I simply disagree.I’m not upset with you.Also I’m not a kid.Wish I was!

2/08/2023 10:04 am  #42

By the way-To be clear-I’m not condoning anyone’s behavior in the past.I’m suggesting moving on from the
sturm and drang that this issue seems to elicit.Shit happens guys.Mayhem I’m not criticizing the Hatchet 
for the story-it’s the reaction to the story that’s predictable by some of you.I’m probably in the minority here.
I just don’t care enough about Nero or ML.-and how their tenure may have effected our present day 
situation.Time to move on.

2/08/2023 10:32 am  #43

Skittles wrote:

GW69 wrote:

Skittles-Time to move on.

Way to back a predator. Take a good look in that mirror kid

Tell me Skittles, from your perspective, Mike Lonergan did absolutely nothing wrong and deserved absolutely none of the negative repercussions?  Just want to get you on the record about your perspective.

My perspective is that BOTH acted inappropriately in some ways - though we don't know the full story - but I'm not sure you agree with my perspective.

Trying to be civil here.  Please answer civilly.

Keith

2/08/2023 10:44 am  #44

Keith as someone who is in the know with both that era of GW basketball and the PN/ML saga itself, and who has proven to have insider info during that time on multiple occasions, I can say WHOLEHEARTEDLY that ML did not do anything wrong. He saw that PN was acting inappropriately with the players, having private unsanctioned meet ups and meetings with them, and was openly breaking rules by giving them money, inviting them to his home for dinner, etc. He decided to go to the President about it. They REMOVED Nero from team activities that same season (look it up!) and that is when accusations started popping up against ML. MULTIPLE players have taken to social media or made statements to the effect that absolutely none of that was true by the way. The TITLE IX investigation CLEARED ML of any wrongdoing earlier that year. Forest refused to release that paperwork (I believe deadspin article mentioned this). Then "anonymous" players and staff went to the post immediately following this. I would name these players (one of whom never set foot on the GW hardwood) but I don't want to get banned. ML is not this abusive monster you are lead to believe he is. He is not homophobic, racist, abusive, any of that. Nero played all of his hands after realizing that the next president wouldn't be the bag of useless dust the sitting one was at the time. I wish I could give you more. I unfortunately have to be vague cause I don't want to out the athletic department employees (at the time) and players I knew when this was going on. But yes I can say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG cause I know it to be true. Per multiple sources, multiple times, without any wavering. 

2/08/2023 10:46 am  #45

keithgreene wrote:

Skittles wrote:

GW69 wrote:

Skittles-Time to move on.

Way to back a predator. Take a good look in that mirror kid

Tell me Skittles, from your perspective, Mike Lonergan did absolutely nothing wrong and deserved absolutely none of the negative repercussions?  Just want to get you on the record about your perspective.

My perspective is that BOTH acted inappropriately in some ways - though we don't know the full story - but I'm not sure you agree with my perspective.

Trying to be civil here.  Please answer civilly.

Keith

And fair. I could have worded that better. I just get tired of people spreading around the "move on" rhetoric when they have no idea how insane and wrong things were under PN. 

2/08/2023 11:22 am  #46

Skittles wrote:

Keith as someone who is in the know with both that era of GW basketball and the PN/ML saga itself, and who has proven to have insider info during that time on multiple occasions, I can say WHOLEHEARTEDLY that ML did not do anything wrong. He saw that PN was acting inappropriately with the players, having private unsanctioned meet ups and meetings with them, and was openly breaking rules by giving them money, inviting them to his home for dinner, etc. He decided to go to the President about it. They REMOVED Nero from team activities that same season (look it up!) and that is when accusations started popping up against ML. MULTIPLE players have taken to social media or made statements to the effect that absolutely none of that was true by the way. The TITLE IX investigation CLEARED ML of any wrongdoing earlier that year. Forest refused to release that paperwork (I believe deadspin article mentioned this). Then "anonymous" players and staff went to the post immediately following this. I would name these players (one of whom never set foot on the GW hardwood) but I don't want to get banned. ML is not this abusive monster you are lead to believe he is. He is not homophobic, racist, abusive, any of that. Nero played all of his hands after realizing that the next president wouldn't be the bag of useless dust the sitting one was at the time. I wish I could give you more. I unfortunately have to be vague cause I don't want to out the athletic department employees (at the time) and players I knew when this was going on. But yes I can say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG cause I know it to be true. Per multiple sources, multiple times, without any wavering. 

i back this post 100%

signed,
used to be on the inside

2/08/2023 11:30 am  #47

Keith, I realize that you're addressing Skittles but wanted to remind you of various quotes from the Deadspin article.  Pato tweeted that he was shocked by the allegations against Ml.  Mo Creek said, "I have never felt he crossed the line."  Zeke said, "This is 100% bullshit.  Verbal and emotional abuse.  Are you serious?  Players are soft."

But the words that arguably should carry the most weight, based on his being around the sport for 60 years give or take, belong to Bob Tallent.  And this quote is rather telling:

"If you wanted to play for Adolph Rupp, you put up with things.  I think people are naive if they think (the alleged verbal abuse) is something you don't hear at basketball at any level.  Things are said sometimes that don't make people happy.  There's obviously an edge, a line you can't cross, but I don't think that was crossed."

This is a man who attended practices, is a long-time season ticket holder, and a one time player and head coach of this program.   Frankly, when he says that a line was not crossed, it is more meaningful than if you or I were to say this.  

The players who went to the Post were disgruntled players who likely were the targets of a disproportinate share of ML comments.  They were joined by a former asiistant coach who likely made "the masturbation comment" which had been falsely attributed to ML, and who resigned abruptly just weeks before the start of practice.  And this entire effort, was conceived and orchestrated by PN.

I fully understand that we live today in a world where certain things that once could be publicly said simply can not be today.  However, Coach Tallent's point seemed to be that the basketball court, and the locker room, ought to carry a different standard regarding what should and should not be deemed acceptable.  My sense is that ML said the types of things that dozens if not practically all coaches might find themselves saying.  This is what is meant when saying that the line was not crossed.

2/08/2023 11:46 am  #48

Interesting. After we won the NIT I thought we had a stable ship here at GW. Then this mess started. Being so far away I only get info about the situation from y'all. From my perspective ML was a an 'Old School' coach who didn't change fast enough to meet the new challenges of being a 'Modern Era" coach. This new way of coaching has driven many old time coaches away from the profession. Like Mik K at Duke.  ML was good at CU and Vermont, and GW. But trying to coach a team and trying to deal with an incompetent administration can cause anyone to have a nervous breakdown. This Colonials is evil shit is a case in point.
;

2/08/2023 11:52 am  #49

Skittles wrote:

+1. Skittles, I've been around dozens of coaches at all levels - college, pro, high school, AAU. There is zero chance that ML would have progressed to the point in his career that he did if he was any of the things that have been falsely ascribed to him. When the allegations were first leveled, I spoke to several players and folks in the athletic department. Your understanding aligns with mine. The whole thing has stunk from day one and no amount of deodorant will cover it up.

2/08/2023 12:27 pm  #50

One day we all need to sit down over drinks and hash through this.  The author of the Deadspin article is a friend of mine and we have had SEVERAL discussions about the article itself, not the facts or circumstances. I find it incredulous that Mike Lonergan brought NOTHING on himself through his behaviors and his ideologies.

I loved him as a coach.  

2/08/2023 12:45 pm  #51

The past effects the present if we let it.We have to know how the past effects us in the present-and then decide if our understanding of the past leads to present dysfunction.I don’t think CC has to burdened by 
the past.

2/08/2023 12:49 pm  #52

Keith, appreciate you modulating your stance.
If the author of the article is a friend of yours and you trust him, find it hard to understand that
you don't see the things that happened, that GW paid for, in addition to literally a video that people
knew about even before it was published by Deadspin. If the publishers of Deadspin did not believe that your friend's account been true, both he and the author would have faced extreme liability.
   Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the situation points to the extreme goading and set-up of ML.
The article yells you well-documented things, insiders are telling you things, the huge,roughly $3 million
settlement tells you things, the court papers right now tell you things.
     Those insiders would also point you toward things that look even worse that haven't come out.
  Today, as this is right now in the news, and the full story has yet to emerge, we are still paying the price as
GW fans.

2/08/2023 1:00 pm  #53

What ML did was REACT.  He reacted to his boss having secretive meetings with his players.  He reacted to one of his players receiving payments by this same individual.  And most of all, he reacted when the school refused to do anything about his boss's actions or behavior.

An alleged report:  he bitched about PN to his players.  If true, you can make a case that this was inappropriate.  You should also be able to readily understand how frustrated ML was by having a boss who was so inappropriate, and whose behavior was often fueled by alcohol.  Just try to imagine you being in the right about all of this and having the school refuse to take any action.

Other alleged remarks...the transgender league, the food stamps.  I'd contend that if these remarks were actually said by ML, they were said within the context of sarcastic humor.  Probably not cool today but a fireable offense?  I certainly would not think so.

This is all to say that ML may not have conducted himself perfectly throughout this ordeal.  But given what was happening around him, and given the failed response by GW, I am not sure I know anyone who would have.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (2/08/2023 1:02 pm)

2/08/2023 1:16 pm  #54

keithgreene wrote:

One day we all need to sit down over drinks and hash through this.  The author of the Deadspin article is a friend of mine and we have had SEVERAL discussions about the article itself, not the facts or circumstances. I find it incredulous that Mike Lonergan brought NOTHING on himself through his behaviors and his ideologies.

I loved him as a coach.  

I don't think ML himself would say he is perfect or that he never said anything he didn't regret. But that's an impossible standard Keith. The idea that he suddenly became this homophobic abusive coach is coincidentally correlated with corroborated reports about PN's own egregious behavior. You mean ML suddenly only became that way when PN's behavior came to light? Recall that he had coached here and elsewhere for years without such allegations. Also, how did this get fed to the Washington Post? You know, the paper who covers GW basketball in-depth daily? In my opinion, this was a set-up from the beginning designed to deflect.

What better way than to take the spotlight off your own actions than to make your accuser look like a bigot? It's a tried and true strategy done all the time in this town to discredit the accuser. Probably would have completely succeeded at least to the general public until the Deadspin article put things in a different realm.

2/08/2023 2:29 pm  #55

Mike and his wife and family are very religious people.  Sometimes your religious beliefs can paint your behaviors.  I'm not saying that is the case, just saying it is possible.  I've heard from others over the years that Mike had a tendency to press his religious beliefs onto others.  He never did it with me, so I can't say that is factual.

2/08/2023 2:41 pm  #56

I have never heard of this whether in person (spoken to the guy dozens of times) or from other peoples' encounters. This sounds like projecting. Also none of the accusations had a damn thing to do about religion. Just admit you don't know what you are talking about and like you said "move on", making stuff up isn't gonna back you out of this corner you put yourself in man...

2/08/2023 2:46 pm  #57

Nobody is perfect. I definitely fall under the not perfect category myself. But my point was he NEVER did the things that WaPo article accused him of. That was baseless bullshit cooked up by a man who knew his time at GW was going to come to a close and had to take the heat off of himself. You guys would literally laugh out loud if you knew the fun group those "anonymous players" were, all of whom played maybe a combined 5 minutes a game altogether as a career and who had beef with ML and the staff for completely unrelated matters. A juicy story about a school tablet comes to mind...

2/08/2023 4:22 pm  #58

Keith Greene now brings religion into the discussion. Give me a break. 

Greene, this thread is about 1 person - Nero, and his wrongdoing over the Williams case. Leave ML and his religion out of it.

Not sure what religion Nero is (Jewish, Protestant?) but nobody gives a shit. His pecker does all the thinking and that's what keeps getting him in trouble - lap dances with young male co-eds, paying a young inexperienced male twice the salary of an experienced deartment veteran, etc, etc, etc.

Just like we called your BS last year when you claimed to have been corresponding to ML directly, now you want us to believe how tight the 2 of you are. 

Time for you to move on and stop obsessing about ML. He is enjoying his comfortable retirement thanks to GW and busy running around the country supporting the activities of his kids too numerous to count!
You should follow his lead.

2/08/2023 5:40 pm  #59

As remembered anyway from years ago, those said to be the names, let's generously say, won't wind up in the Hall of Fame.
Would like to hear the tablet story. Don't remember it in the tidal wave of bizarre things, if 
heard before.

2/08/2023 9:10 pm  #60

jf wrote:

As remembered anyway from years ago, those said to be the names, let's generously say, won't wind up in the Hall of Fame.
Would like to hear the tablet story. Don't remember it in the tidal wave of bizarre things, if 
heard before.

Check DM

Board footera