GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2024 11:51 am  #1

2024 schedule

MTE is set: Paradise Jam in Virgin Islands- Nov 21-26

UAB, Kansas State, McNeese, Illinois State, Liberty among the teams 

https://twitter.com/RothsteinAbe/status/1780623301821321357

4/17/2024 2:10 pm  #2

Re: 2024 schedule

A tournament we've heard of!
My standards are is the tournament in a middle school gym and on Flo Hoops or
not? This one may at least be on ESPN+

4/17/2024 2:52 pm  #3

Based on what's available on the website, games were on ESPN+ last year, and the gym is at least a HS, if not a low major college gym, so an upgrade all around https://basketballtravelers.com/mens-paradise-jam/

4/17/2024 2:53 pm  #4

jf wrote:

Laughed out loud at the Flo Hoops reference.

4/18/2024 1:12 pm  #5

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

jf wrote:

Laughed out loud at the Flo Hoops reference.

Times really have changed. Used to be a "good" schedule was one that included a game or two on TV. Now a "good" schedule is one that allows us to stream all games without having to deal with FloSports! Actually, I have no problem with "zero games on FloSports" as a baseline metric.

4/30/2024 10:56 am  #6

Rocco Miller
@RoccoMiller8
·
12m
Davidson will host VMI as part of its 24-25 non-conference schedule, per sources.  The date is set for Friday, November 22nd inside Belk Arena.  

Additionally, George Washington will host VMI on Friday, November 29th inside the Smith Center.  

4/30/2024 2:16 pm  #7

Florida Colonial wrote:

Rocco Miller
@RoccoMiller8
·
12m
Davidson will host VMI as part of its 24-25 non-conference schedule, per sources.  The date is set for Friday, November 22nd inside Belk Arena.  

Additionally, George Washington will host VMI on Friday, November 29th inside the Smith Center.  

Hard to imagine a huge crowd for that one that Friday after Thanksgiving...

4/30/2024 2:51 pm  #8

Please let us have an improved schedule over the last 3 years.
I can't stomach all the NCAA at-large bid talk after running through our D-2 and low D-1 schedule only to come in dead last in our conference!

5/01/2024 9:58 am  #9

Joel Joseph wrote:

I can't stomach all the NCAA at-large bid talk after running through our D-2 and low D-1 schedule only to come in dead last in our conference!

Other than the Dude (who you can't take seriously), who was talking at-large bid here this past season?

5/01/2024 10:49 am  #10

GWRising wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

Other than the Dude (who you can't take seriously), who was talking at-large bid here this past season?

Doesn't really matter what our noncon schedule looks like until we can win our league road games (and our home games, too!). 

After the last few seasons, I would be just fine having the pundits all saying in March that our non-league schedule wasn't tough enough to be considered for the NCAA Tourney.  You know why?  Because that would mean we've been a top 4 A-10 team and we're ready to take the next step.

You have to walk before you run.  And right now we're talented but we've got a proverbial bum knee in one leg and a sprained ankle in the other.  We can heal from those injuries, right? 

And then...let's go.

5/01/2024 11:07 am  #11

The Ross-Man! wrote:

Florida Colonial wrote:

Rocco Miller
@RoccoMiller8
·
12m

Hard to imagine a huge crowd for that one that Friday after Thanksgiving...

Hard to imagine a huge crowd for this one if you gave away the tickets, two free hot dogs, two beers and LeBron James was signing autographs for one and all.   

VMI was one of ten worst teams in the country. More of the same.

5/01/2024 11:20 am  #12

GWRising wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

I think a lot of people got unrealistically hyped after that one DeCourcy tweet that had us in his first four out in November or December. 

5/01/2024 11:28 am  #13

I'm fine with a game here and there that's a bit easier as long as there isn't a repeat of the December slate from this past year.

VMI is one of the worst D1 jobs out there, the kind of job where the head coach would leave to take an assistant job at a high major. It doesn't help that they play in the SoCon so they are at a disadvantage compared to their peers with all the military requirements. Their team gets gutted year after year as no one wants to stay there (I think JC said in a previous interview that he was recruited there but wasn't interested due to the policies at the school), and I don't think the school allows many transfers if at all.

Sure enough they have lost all their double figure scorers to the portal again this year and their top guy returning that faced D1 competition as of now averaged 4 ppg. One of the Keydets still on the roster, Maurice Wright from California, was recruited by GW in the JC era.

5/01/2024 11:52 am  #14

If they're not playing more Q1 or Q2 games, I at least wish they'd schedule more home-and-home games in major metros to get in front of more GW Alumni. One from each of the following pods (in order of the largest number of alumni according to LinkedIn) if you can't get one of the Power conference schools to agree, and then promote the crap out of them to the local alumni groups:

"Virginia" (which I assume is mostly NoVa, but fine...)
James Madison
Norfolk State
Old Dominion

Maryland
Towson
UMBC
Mount St. Mary's
Loyola MD
Navy

New York
Manhattan
Columbia
Marist
Stony Brook
Iona
Hofstra
LIU

South Florida
USF
FAU
FIU

Boston
Boston U. 
Harvard

Los Angeles
LMU
Cal State Fullerton
UC Irvine
Pepperdine

San Francisco
USF
San Jose State
UC Davis

"Texas" (which is kinda big!)
Rice
North Texas
UT San Antonio

5/10/2024 10:34 am  #15

The 2024-25 D1 Docket Sheet is now available for the A10: The D1 Docket: 2024-25 Dockets: East Coast Leagues.

Right now, it just shows us playing in the USVI tournament and our buy game vs. VMI.  Should get updated as more news filters out.

5/10/2024 8:49 pm  #16

We will be playing North Carolina A&T at home

https://x.com/JonRothstein/status/1789107634512998448

5/10/2024 9:17 pm  #17

NC A&T had a NET ranking of 343 last year. Oof.

5/13/2024 8:56 am  #18

Trying to look at the positives from this matchup. Unlike VMI I guess A&T is returning most of their team from last year, including Landon Glasper (20.9 ppg).

Unfortunately, this isn't a game that will test whether GW's perimeter defense is any better, as A&T shot a dismal 28.7% from distance, which was 12th worst in the country. Their additions don't really signal an improvement in that department either outside of maybe Bryson Ogletree, who comes from a good South Plains JUCO team that went 32-3. Ogletree shot 40% from deep, which was best on the team but barely made more than one a game. The Aggies were pretty brutal defensively as well.

The other two transfer additions are Ryan Forrest, who averaged 11.8 ppg at Northwestern State (shoutout Mike Brey!) but is another non-shooter at 23% from deep, and Jahnathan Lamothe, a guy whose game I did like coming out of HS but as more of a scorer/slasher than outright shooter. Maryland wasn't exactly lighting it up from deep either. Funnily enough, Lamothe will be going from the 13th worst three point shooting to now the 12th worst.

I guess our CAA transfer additions should be able to have success in the matchup given Trey Moss scored 35 points in two games against A&T and Gerald Drumgoole had 44 in two contests against the Aggies.

Hopefully, a home-and-home series against a good mid-major is announced at some point. I get that we don't have VCU's brand and can't get New Mexico to play one against us right now but hopefully we can get a decent opponent. Hofstra was definitely a step up from Radford in the seasons before, but we need to look at a conference closer to the A10 in competition.

5/13/2024 9:41 am  #19

There has been much discussion here regarding the need and importance of crafting an OOC schedule that is commensurate with the team's experience level and expectations.  Last season, the consensus seemed to feel that the lowly-rated schedule was justified for two reasons.  First, we had so many players essentially competing for the first time at the collegiate level (in addition to the true freshmen, you would have to include Jun, Garrret, Benny and Stretch who each played sparingly if at all against college competition).  And second, there was little if any expectation of last year's team reaching the NCAA or NIT tournaments, so a cupcake OOC schedule was not going to likely bite them in the ass come March.

So are we in a different boat this year?  I tend to think we are.  It's hard to fathom that less was expected from a team with a returning first team all A10 player and the A10 rookie of the year than a team without these players.  Nevertheless, the hope has to be that the departures of JB and Max will result in addition by subtraction.  This is not to undermine the scoring abilities of either of these players or the need to somehow make up this scoring.  However, it is safe to say that both of these players "needed their shots" and were guilty at times of taking more than their share of ill-advised ones as a result.  There's little question that Jun should and will often have the ball in his hands and his ability to score while simultaneously setting up others will be a key on offense.  The expectation, at least my own, ought to be a much more favorable shot selection by the team as a whole.  On defense, the competence level ought to be greater though we may be lacking Stretch's shot blocking prowess.  Still, our bigs may do a better job of defensive positioning which would be a nice trade-ff for a few less blocked shots.  The rest of the defense strikes me as more than competent defenders as long as they truly buy-in to play solid individual and team defense.      There were too many times where I felt that JB and Max were either unwilling defenders, unable defenders, or at times, both.  The 2024-25 Revs will need to be more proactive on defense, looking to aggressively force turnovers more often than in past years under AC.  This assumes that added depth has arrived which will likely be answered by whether a number of transfers can play solid defense.

Bringing this full circle to the OOC schedule, the team can easily take the stance that they're starting all over again without JB, Max and Stretch (theoretically, Antoine and Benny as well) so it should schedule a ton of home games against subpar opponents and hope that 11-2 this time helps translate to a better conference season.  However, I for one am hoping this is not the case.  The VI tournament is a nice start against a better field when compared to last season's MTE. The 2024-25 Revs deserve a more balanced OOC schedule, one whose SOS is not in the 300's but is instead in the 150-200 range.  

5/13/2024 11:49 am  #20

i suspect this is a buy game for an "expected" easy win

Board footera