GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/09/2021 6:27 pm  #1

Other Games Thread

The season kicks off tonight, good slate.  The thread for other games...

11/09/2021 6:33 pm  #2

Re: Other Games Thread

UC San Diego 58 Cal 50 9:27 to go 2nd

11/09/2021 7:01 pm  #3

UC San Diego 80 Cal 67 FINAL.

Cal may be the worst team in the country. UC San Diego´s next game is at home against GW

11/09/2021 7:03 pm  #4

VCU is hosting St. Peter's right now on MASN 2, the game started about an hour ago, VCU leads 31-23 at the half

North Carolina Central at Richmond   right now on NBC Sports Washington..interesting that the Richmond game is on NBC Sports Washington and GW gets the lesser version of NBC Sports Washington!!

Kentucky vs Duke  9:30  I'm adding this game because some of you may want to see how former Davidson star Kellen Grady does with Kentucky. Will Grady be a star at Kentucky too or a role player?

11/09/2021 9:11 pm  #5

Pitt loses to Citadel.  Epitome of brutality.

Hope our #1 target Darren Buchanan is watching and seeing what he could come join in Foggy Bottom instead of that sinking ship Pitt.

11/09/2021 10:32 pm  #6

The A10 went 13-1 today.

La Salle lost in OT, every other team won their debut.

Navy is up 6 AT UVA... huge upset alert.  

Chet Holmgren didn't get quite there, but he flirted with a Quadruple Double in his college debut
14 pts 13 Board 7 blocks and 7 dimes.

Last edited by The Dude (11/09/2021 11:03 pm)

11/10/2021 7:30 am  #7

In addition to  the aforementioned good showing by the conference, here is how GW´s OOC opponents fared last night:
@College Park CC 83 Quinnipiac 69
UC San Diego 80 @Cal 67
@Santa Clara 84 Fullerton St 77
@UMASS Lowell 91 Rivier 55
@Wright St 86 Lake Erie College 53
@URI 71 BU 62
@UNC-C 68 Monmouth 66
@Loyola Chicago 103 Coppin St 45
@Radford 84 Emory & Henry 72
@St Joe´s 69 UMES 67

Non-conf foes went 6-4 (although two of those losses were against A10 teams GW plays this year so don´t get too worried about the RPI yet... HAH!)

11/10/2021 8:21 am  #8

That UCSD/Cal result is genuinely shocking.

Also Marfo’s stat line for Quinnipiac will satisfy everyone’s priors about him. Grabbed 9 rebounds (most for either team) but went 1-8 from the field for 2 pts in 25 minutes.

Last edited by GW0509 (11/10/2021 9:05 am)

11/10/2021 8:35 am  #9

When does Mike Hopkins get fired? Washington should not be this bad. Losing to a program that is clearly at a low point right now like Northern Illinois is a big no no. I honestly think they should have pulled the plug last year itself and was surprised they didn't.

Nebraska sports in general is at an all time low, with the basketball team losing to Western Illinois. A good night for the "directional" Illinois schools.

Jamison led Minnesota in scoring with 18 points in a 15 point win over UMKC, but also led the team with four fouls. I still fully expect Minnesota to struggle mightily in the Big Ten but nice to see Battle having success back home.

Jameer had 11 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists in Delaware's 22 point loss to Davidson and also fouled out of the game. Davidson made 14 threes, shot it at 61%, and Michigan State transfer Foster Loyer went 6-6 from deep and Lee seems more versatile than before. Mennenga also had a good game. Seems like life after Grady might be just fine for them.

11/10/2021 9:17 am  #10

Virginia ended up losing at home to Navy, 66-58!!

Mike Hopkins was supposed to be Syracuse' Coach-In-Waiting after Jim Boeheim retired but it looks like he'll be fired from Washington before Boeheim even retires!! He ran into one of the biggest pitfalls of coaching at a BCS school, signing 2 or more highly rated players(Isaiah Stewart and Jaden McDaniels) but still being a terrible team and then having those players declare for the draft. This happened in his first or second year, and they've been bad ever since.

I looked up the box score and saw that Jameer Nelson started and played 31 minutes, so it looks he's going to be a major contributor with Delaware this year.  

11/10/2021 2:40 pm  #11

Thomas, incredible upset! 

11/10/2021 6:22 pm  #12

Buffalo(Maceo Jack) is about to play at #6 Michigan in a few minutes at 6:30 on the Big 10 Network - After being part of one of the most decorated recruiting class in history with The Fab 5, Juwan Howard appears to have recruited a similar type of haul with his current group of incoming freshmen, 3 of them are ranked among the top 25.

11/10/2021 7:09 pm  #13

Maceo is starting for Buffalo and has an early 3.

Buffalo has a KenPom 130 spots ahead of ours.

11/11/2021 1:08 am  #14

I watched most of the Buffalo game.  Maceo was the same as what we saw, and despite playing 30 minutes, was off the floor in the last 4 minutes when Buffalo needed stops.  He hit that first three, but then missed his last 7 and finished 1-8 from three and 2-12 from the field.  But unlike Bishop, his defense was a major liability.  He lost his man, freshman Caleb Houstan multiple times in the first half, and got picked on by others in the second.  He contributed 4 boards and 1 assist, and played a similar stand on the perimeter role as he did for us.  He has a couple of excellent teammates in Jeenathan Williams and Joe Mballa, and Ronald Segu is an ok Pg, so he can be a 4th option shooter, but i suspect teams will attack him defensively.  I hope he has a good year and figures it out because Buffalo does have a nice team and their aggressive offense should suit his talents (and I expect him to get back to his usual 34%ish 3fg, despite the slow start).

11/11/2021 9:26 am  #15

I saw a lot of the Buffalo-Michigan game too, and Michigan star freshman Caleb Houstan(I'm assuming he'll be a lottery pick in the upcoming draft) had a complete highlight package in the first 4 or 5 minutes of the game(as FQ pointed out), with Maceo Jack being his victim for a lot of those plays. There was one sequence where C.Houstan blocked or altered a Jack 3 pointer, then converted an And-1 over Jack in transition on the other end. At least Maceo Jack got the start and looks like he'll get a lot of minutes and opportunities with Buffalo. 

The Dude,  Virginia was only ranked #25, so on paper they may not be considered an elite team, but as long as Tony Bennett is their coach, I will always expect his teams to hold every opponent to 45 points and 32% from the field, regardless of the talent level of his players. 

11/11/2021 9:33 am  #16

Wait, you mean that Maceo did not go on to have a huge game after starting out with that early 3?

I guess we would have seen dozens of more posts about this if he had.

On a serious note, am encouraged that he played 30 minutes for what looks like a quality team.  I hope he has a great season, and that we are not subjected to hundreds of posts about him whenever he makes a basket.

11/11/2021 6:22 pm  #17

Quiet slate we are actually the only top 25 game of the night.

The Bonnies looked like a legit juggernaut the other night, along with Dayton 2 years ago, among the best A10 teams of the past decade.

11/11/2021 10:59 pm  #18

UC Riverside hit a 70 foot shot at the buzzer to beat Arizona St.  Shot of the year candidate and dunk of the year candidate on the same quiet night.

11/12/2021 9:59 am  #19

PAC-12 not looking very good this year.

11/12/2021 7:18 pm  #20

Jameson Battle doing Jameson Battle things.  Hit 5 threes to carry Minnesota.  At one point he had 18 of their 25 points (before minn hit three treys late when they started throwing guys at battle).   

He has 18 points, 6 boards, 5 threes, and 2 dimes in the first half vs Western Kentucky.

It looks like a gw game from the last two years - when battle isn’t scoring, they go cold except when an average shooter can knock down some bombs (and yes, I realize we had Bishop last year, and he’s better than anyone on MN, but we still had trouble scoring when Battle wasn’t getting open shots)

Edit: Also like at GW, the defense keyed on him and he did nothing in the second half.  2 points, 0 rebounds. Minnesota hung on to win, despite Devyon McKnight going nuts in the seconf half.  Great player if you ever get to watch Western Kentucky.

Last edited by Free Quebec (11/12/2021 9:09 pm)

Board footera