GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2022 6:22 pm  #201

Re: Other Games Thread

Why would Louisville fire or part ways with Chris Mack in the middle of the season like this? I just saw that his record is 5-5 in the ACC, so it's not like they've been terrible. Did Louisville want to get rid of him now and not give him a chance to sneak into the NCAA tournament which would make it somewhat difficult to justify firing him after the season?

GWRising is right, Rutgers is still 5-4 in the Big 10, and last year's NCAA tournament bid was their first since the 90-91 season. They'll probably make the NCAA tournament again this year if they can finish around 500 in conference play because of how strong the Big 10 is.

St.Bonaventure at George Mason  7  ESPN+
VCU at #25 Davidson                    8:30  CBS SportsNetwork

1/26/2022 6:43 pm  #202

We can agree to disagree Rising. Like MD's new AD, middle of the pack (even in the B-10) doesn't cut it anymore - I'm not saying that's reasonable but just reality.

1/26/2022 7:13 pm  #203

Thomas, 

Here's best explanation of why Chris Mack is out at Louisville.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/26/chris-mack-out-louisville-basketball-future

1/28/2022 8:08 pm  #204

The A10 has 7 of the top 100 KenPom teams, a real bounce back year for the A10, 8 of the top 110
We've already played 5 of them, beating both Rhode Island and George Mason.

at 16-3 Davidson #49 is the top dog in the league. Gonzaga remains #1, Houston having another great year at #6

1/29/2022 1:56 pm  #205

Georgetown loses again.  Haven't won a game since December 15th.

1/30/2022 2:41 pm  #206

The Great Ed Cooley and Providence beat Marquette, to improve to 18-2.

18-2, wow.

2/01/2022 10:11 pm  #207

Sounding like Emoni Bates is leaving Memphis.

I know it was never going to happen but I really wonder what the team would’ve looked like had JC somehow convinced him to come here?

2/02/2022 1:45 am  #208

If Bates actually did come here, it might have been good from a publicity standpoint, but I think the team might have looked even worse. The last thing we need is another guy who wants the ball all the time and shoots inefficiently from the floor (he hasn't done much else at Memphis, although he is capable). I feel bad for Emoni, he was hyped up a lot early on and probably feels the pressure to live up to that early billing. He should probably go to the G league. I'm not sure college is the right fit for him.

Georgetown lost again. Local teams continue to underperform (outside Mason I guess). Never would have guessed Howard would have the most wins out of any team in DC (although hey we are the best defensive team in DC!).

Nebraska had a chance against Michigan tonight, but they came up short and are now 0-11 in the Big Ten. There are still some winnable games left (two chances against Northwestern, home against Maryland, maybe home against Jamison/Minnesota?) It definitely seems like anything more than 2-18 is a stretch. Hoiberg might be in trouble (Nebraska should be able to win 5-6 games at least in conference each year), but I'm not sure who can win there consistently. Tim Miles was underappreciated there.

2/02/2022 6:44 am  #209

No one wants to talk about Davidson winning at SBU and now running away with the league?

2/02/2022 7:35 am  #210

I wasn't aware that Emoni Bates may be leaving Memphis until reading GW0509's post. It looks like E. Bates father was the one who started these rumors. I think if Bates shocked the world and picked GW, his talent was so overwhelming that JC would have allowed him to do whatever he wanted, no matter what sort of flaws(lack of strength, not a good shooter, etc.) he had. Despite the disappointing record, Memphis does have a lot of talent on the roster and it's not a total surprise that E.Bates has gotten lost in the shuffle. That wasn't going to happen if he came to GW. I'm always looking at local guys who may be considering or need to transfer down, Memphis sophomore/former DeMatha star Earl Timberlake isn't exactly dominating at Memphis this year, he may need to consider transferring again.   

Georgetown was very competitive in the loss to Seton Hall but the conference is just so tough from top to bottom. Seton Hall was struggling coming into the game and was missing one of their top players, this may have been one of the few winnable games for Georgetown. I mentioned how someone on their board started an 0-20 thread, Georgetown is now 0-8, so they are not that close to 0-20 but it may becoming more realistic as they have a number of games left(Creighton twice, at Villanova, at Marquette, UConn, Providence) where they could get blown out which could damage their confidence even more!!

George Mason's loss to GW on MLK day is their only conference loss, they've won 4 straight since then, that may end up being GW's best win of the year. George Mason may be good enough to win the A-10. Maryland lost at the buzzer(the MSU player hit the shot with a little over 1 second left) to #13 Michigan State at home last night. In their previous game, Maryland lost by about 15 to unranked Indiana at home(Maryland was never in the game after halftime) which shows they are still the same highly inconsistent team under Danny Manning that they were under Turgeon.

Mentzinger,  Davidson won by 5 but they were up by as much as 16 or 17 in the 2nd half. Davidson dropped out of the top 25 after they lost to VCU but they are 8-1 in the A-10, George Mason is "second" at 4-1. I don't think Davidson was in any big-time OOC tournaments like Dayton and VCU, because they'd be ranked in the top 15 if they played in one of those tournaments and knocked off a couple of BCS teams like Dayton and VCU did.  

2/02/2022 7:52 am  #211

dmvpiranha wrote:

If Bates actually did come here, it might have been good from a publicity standpoint, but I think the team might have looked even worse. The last thing we need is another guy who wants the ball all the time and shoots inefficiently from the floor (he hasn't done much else at Memphis, although he is capable).

I actually agree with this. Probably wouldn’t have been good for team morale either.  Still would’ve been a sight to see just how much national coverage we’d get.

Probably would’ve ended the same way it looks like it’s ending at Memphis.

2/02/2022 8:37 am  #212

2/02/2022 9:39 am  #213

Davidson was picked to finish in 6th place in the A10.  Wow, how could that have possibly happened?

If the season were to end now, with all due respect to Kim English, there is little question that Bob McKillop is the conference's coach of the year.

Interesting to see what happens to schools who migrate to stronger leagues.  In the A10, both VCU and Davidson remain prominent programs.  (Mason was already on a downward trend prior to entering the A10 and have stayed about the same for the most part.)  No reason to expect Loyola-Chicago to take a dip once they join. Outside of the A10, schools like Temple, Butler and Wichita State have fallen quite a bit from where they once were. 

2/02/2022 1:58 pm  #214

Gwmayhem wrote:

Interesting to see what happens to schools who migrate to stronger leagues.

Well, one thing that happens ... the league you're leaving immediately bans you from postseason play, a dick move exceeded only perhaps by firing a coach right after the winningest season ever under false pretenses to protect a high ranking predator.
https://twitter.com/SBAthletics/status/1488909294464647176/photo/1

2/02/2022 2:02 pm  #215

Mentzinger wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Interesting to see what happens to schools who migrate to stronger leagues.

Well, one thing that happens ... the league you're leaving immediately bans you from postseason play, a dick move exceeded only perhaps by firing a coach right after the winningest season ever under false pretenses to protect a high ranking predator.
https://twitter.com/SBAthletics/status/1488909294464647176/photo/1

Wow.  Yeah, a first-class dick move by the American East.  The folks who made this decision ought to feel ashamed of themselves.

2/02/2022 2:16 pm  #216

The same thing happened with James Madison and the CAA after they said they were leaving for the Sun Belt. It's so unfair to punish the athletes for a decision they had nothing to do with

2/03/2022 7:37 am  #217

Wild finish in that SLU win over GMU in 2OT

2/03/2022 11:11 am  #218

I didn't see the game, but I read some of the comments on George Mason's board and it looks like guard play and lack of depth is what doomed them in the double OT home loss to St. Louis and will probably cost them for the entire season. Last night saw some eye-opening conference results last night was Fordham beating Rhode Island by 6 at home, I don't think Rhode Island has won a game since GW beat them. Dayton also won by 30 at VCU last night, VCU was playing without their leading scorer Vince Williams, but you'd expect them to be more competitive than that, especially at home.  

Drexel at Delaware  6  CBS SportsNetwork  - Jameer Nelson Jr is 2nd in scoring, assists and rebounds for Delaware

St. John's at Georgetown  6  FS1 - this game will be played on campus at McDonough Gym. Georgetown is not that big of an underdog in this one because St. John's is just 3-6 in the Big East. St. John's won the first matchup by 19 and are probably playing below expectations at this point. I'm interesting to see what the student turnout will be for this game and how energetic will they be considering that Georgetown is currently on a 9-game losing streak

2/03/2022 6:54 pm  #219

Watching a part of the GU game. Really like to see the inside of McDonough Gym again. The last time I was there  was in 1972 where we beat GU to end the season. After the 88-83 victory it was a nice walk back to the GW campus. Funny the announcer said McDonough was in Foggy Bottom?! I thought it was in Georgetown.

2/03/2022 8:51 pm  #220

Georgetown got pounded tonight by St. John's, the final score was 90-77 but they were down by about 26 midway through the 2nd half. The announcers mentioned that the game was played at McDonough(after Donny Marshall thought he was in Foggy Bottom!! HA!) because country singer Kacey Musgraves is having a concert at the MCI-Verizon-Capitol Arena tonight/right now, this game was originally scheduled to be played on New Year's Day. Georgetown has now lost 10 straight games which is a program record!! If the losing streak reaches 15 or 16 games, will they just let Ewing out of his misery before the season ends? 

Board footera