GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2022 9:45 pm  #81

Re: GW vs SLU Game Thread

Isn´t the jump ball called a foul the time for JC to get a T?

1/26/2022 9:46 pm  #82

Free Quebec wrote:

MG14 wrote:

When ws sthe last time we had a guy with double-digit assists?

February 26, 2020. Armel Potter had 12 vs Richmond.

To be fair, I would guess 90% of D1 programs have not had a double digit assist game in the last 5 years.

I stand corrected.  There have been 154 double digit assist games this year, representing somewhere around 20% of NCAA teams.

1/26/2022 9:48 pm  #83

Well, we lost by less than 18 which is better than I thought we'd do!

1/26/2022 9:49 pm  #84

We covered!!!

1/26/2022 9:49 pm  #85

We get some average padding in last seconds.

1/26/2022 9:49 pm  #86

We have never won at SLU.  The loss in 2016 was basically the dagger for that team's NCAA hopes.

In positives, GW covered the spread.

Also, it pains me to say this but I just realized that JC kind of looks like the Billiken.

1/26/2022 9:49 pm  #87

At least we covered. Beats losing by 20 to a Big West team.

1/26/2022 9:49 pm  #88

GW covers!
#RaiseAndCover

1/26/2022 9:51 pm  #89

What happened to Samuels?  After starting, did he get back in the game?  Was he injured?

1/26/2022 9:52 pm  #90

Was anyone else surprised to see that we basically shot the same % from the field and had a better 3pt FG%? Really did come down to TOs and 2nd chance points (offensive rebounds) as I said earlier.

We all know what the negatives were/are so some positives based solely on the box score (I couldn't watch):
- Bishop had a great offensive game
- Bamasile had a nice offensive game as well
- Dean continues to rebound (though perhaps not enough to mitigate the damage from offensive boards)
- As a whole, the team shot pretty well
- They covered

1/26/2022 9:53 pm  #91

Bishop played an excellent game.  Very efficient, with 30 points on 19 shots (2 assists, 2 tos). 

Joe Bam shot it well, too.  8-14 from the floor.

It never felt like we were in the game, but those guys helped keep the deficit in the teens.

1/26/2022 9:53 pm  #92

Well that was such a forgetable performance that I am going to forget it.

1/26/2022 10:03 pm  #93

Overall not the worst performance (obviously not the best either). Good shooting kept us in the game but I think the game was lost in the middle of the second half when we were scoring with relative ease but couldn't get stops. As has been mentioned, offensive rebounding and turnovers really hurt tonight.

Need to get a win against Fordham at home on Sunday.

1/26/2022 10:13 pm  #94

Free Quebec wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

I am not sensing a repeat of the "Kingston Magic" tonight. When was the last time GW won a game outside of the Eastern time zone?

It’s a really good question. We don’t play a lot of games outside the eastern time zone, but the answer is depressing:

December 25, 2014 in Hawaii over then-top 10 Wichita St.
Mike Lonergan was coach.

The furthest west we've won a game since then was the next year @ South Florida.

Last edited by GW0509 (1/26/2022 10:14 pm)

1/26/2022 10:32 pm  #95

GW0509 wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

I am not sensing a repeat of the "Kingston Magic" tonight. When was the last time GW won a game outside of the Eastern time zone?

It’s a really good question. We don’t play a lot of games outside the eastern time zone, but the answer is depressing:

Mike Lonergan was coach.

The furthest west we've won a game since then was the next year @ South Florida.

We won in the Bahamas over Evansville and Milwaukee in JC’s first year.

1/26/2022 10:56 pm  #96

SLU’s win probability never dropped below 95% at any time during the game…

1/27/2022 12:34 am  #97

Free Quebec wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Mike Lonergan was coach.

Last A-10 win outside the eastern time zone was a win at Xavier on February 13, 2006. (Obviously that needs to be taken with a grain of salt since Xavier, Dayton and SLU are the only teams in the A-10 outside of the eastern time zone and Xavier hasn't been in the conference since 2013)

1/27/2022 12:52 am  #98

I really appreciate the kind words 22ndandF!! That means a lot to me. As of right now, I'm not looking to monetize anything - I truly enjoy doing it as a hobby. I wrote all the previews before the season started (while making some edits along the way to reflect how the other team has actually performed during the season) and was planning on making them more visible online this season. Unfortunately, other work pulled me away from doing so but hopefully it's something I can do next season. Sadly, I'm not sure GW basketball has a large following outside this board, but perhaps opposing fans would enjoy it I guess.

As for the game itself, not much to say. Result was expected. SLU was a bad matchup for us. Happy to see the team continue to fight despite the expected early deficit. The game wasn't particularly interesting, and I kinda zoned out during the second half and started watching The Amazing Race instead...

It was nice to see us make some shots on offense, although too many of the shots remain overly reliant on one guy making a shot in isolation at any point. That minute that Warner was in during the second half (I think out of a timeout) the team did seem to pass the ball better. A possession ended with a number of nice passes and a made Bishop layup. When things start to break down, Joe still needs to work on making the extra pass.

Defensively, I did like that we took a few charges. I think this might be the first game in several years where we drew multiple charges in the same game between Brendan and Bishop. We haven't had too many this season, but I think Bishop may be leading the team in charges taken on the year. I certainly wouldn't have predicted that coming into the year. He has improved defensively/tried more.

I was disappointed in our defense along the perimeter. Collins got into the paint at will and we lost Jimerson from the perimeter countless times. Inside, it was pretty obvious that we weren't going to be able to handle Okoro. Unlike the Mitchells, he's actually decent from the FT line so we weren't going to be able to hack him all game. Okoro was poised to dunk the ball time after time. As has been the case all season, we did well to alter the initial shot as much as we could but would give up an offensive rebound for an easy stick back. SLU could go back to that play anytime the game got within 15. There were also periods where we didn't get back on defense which were bad.

Thankfully, Ford decided to show mercy (or rest his guys for the next game?) and sat Collins with a few minutes left in the game to allow us to cover the spread.

The highlight of the game (apart from the obvious Freeman to Bamisile dunk) was Knapp yelling from the bench when we lost Jimerson for the 100th time in the first half. It has to be tough watching that from the bench.

Nice to see Ricky back. He looked a bit rusty but hopefully he's closer to 100% for Sunday's game. We still weren't finding him consistently on offense. We still need to get more from him on offense. Seems like Qwanzi hardly played once Ricky checked in.

I thought Hunter did an admirable job tonight (10 rebounds!), but man, it's been tough to see the opposing team be more productive than us down low pretty much all season. I thought after the URI game we would maybe look his way a bit more.

The next couple games against Fordham and La Salle at home are winnable. Looking to come out on top in both (hopefully) although of course both games will be tough regardless.

At least the team fared better than WBB. It seems that we're going to have to turn over most of the roster this offseason. The offense has been really rough for WBB during conference play and unfortunately the defense has slipped a bit too recently.

1/27/2022 6:28 am  #99

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Last A-10 win outside the eastern time zone was a win at Xavier on February 13, 2006. (Obviously that needs to be taken with a grain of salt since Xavier, Dayton and SLU are the only teams in the A-10 outside of the eastern time zone and Xavier hasn't been in the conference since 2013)

Dayton and Xavier are in the Eastern Time Zone

Free Quebec wrote:

We won in the Bahamas over Evansville and Milwaukee in JC’s first year.

What kind of map are you looking at that has the Bahamas further west than Tampa Florida?

1/27/2022 7:13 am  #100

I always go back to that thrilling win over Sacramento State in the KH era. 
https://www.espn.com.au/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/283580016

Last edited by Mentzinger (1/27/2022 7:13 am)

Board footera