GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2022 2:31 pm  #141

Re: GW vs Fordham Game Thread

Patrick Stevens @D1scourse2m
Personnel note for GW: Coach Jamion Christian says he anticipates getting forward Noel Brown back Wednesday against La Salle. The 6-11, 270-pound sophomore is averaging 3.6 points and 2.6 rebounds. Hasn't played in the last five games.

1/30/2022 2:44 pm  #142

Curious what advice Lindo and his family are receiving concerning leaving college and going pro after this year.  I am not a scout and understand some injuries- but I do not see the skill set for success.  Not many post moves, limited accuracy outside and not a strong ball handler.  Solid player that could use another year of growth I think

1/30/2022 2:48 pm  #143

Seems to me that Freeman was on the bench when they made their run and were turning us over. No? Would love to see his plus/minus.

1/30/2022 2:53 pm  #144

Pretty funny t shirt they gave to season ticket holders today

1/30/2022 3:09 pm  #145

PKGW wrote:

Dean learning to play D without leaving his feat. Nice game by him overall. Just needs to pick up the short jumper

His defense and rebounding has really taken a step up over the past couple of weeks. Deserves to be recognized (as many of us have noticed)

1/30/2022 4:02 pm  #146

Great win today, and one that we really needed. They blew the lead but were able to battle back and seal the victory. Can't ask for much more in a GW performance.

Was great to be back at the Smith Center for some in-person basketball. College bball isn't the same without home games to attend. Was also nice for the university to have free lunch before the game in the Champions Club.

1/30/2022 4:13 pm  #147

WisconsinColonial2021 wrote:

Seems to me that Freeman was on the bench when they made their run and were turning us over. No? Would love to see his plus/minus.

+10 with 6 points on 3-13 shooting (0-2 from three). 6 boards, 2 assists and 4 turnovers. Tough matchup for him but I thought he held his own against the Fordham guards. By no means his best game tho.

1/30/2022 4:23 pm  #148

Good win, and great to be back in the Smitty. The team has improved significantly since the OOC. If they continue to play well, I can see a path for them to finish 9-9 in conference, which would be amazing considering the OOC results, although I expect they’ll have a couple bad games and finish below .500. But we should finish quite a bit better than 13th.

1/30/2022 4:34 pm  #149

Mentzinger wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Paulson: JC is great situational coach.
Result: unforced backcourt coming out of a timeout followed by a backdoor alley oop by Fordham.

And a breakaway layup for Quisenberry to cut the lead to single digits and get their star off the snide after being held scoreless all half.

And yet, thanks to Andy Ried, GW had only the second-worst end to a first half today...

1/30/2022 7:36 pm  #150

Thanks GW73!

Great play from the team down the stretch (as was the case in the other two A10 wins). Nice to see us come out on top in the games where we have been competitive. Wasn't exactly pretty to watch at times, but a win is a win!  Although our inability to handle pressure was tough to see in the second half, this team is also equally as capable of putting up a bunch of points in a short period of time when things are clicking.

Ball movement (especially in the first half) was the best I've seen all season. Not just number of passes, but actually finding the open man with guys cutting constantly. 14 assists is great to see, with 6 players with 2+ assists. That's the team ball I've been hoping to see. No need to have a single person be responsible for all the assists when there are many capable passers on the team. I think JC finally learned how to coach! (I kid, I kid). During our two four minute droughts in the first half, would have liked to see Knapp because we were getting good looks from deep but not always knocking them down.

Fordham doesn't exactly have a daunting frontcourt, but it was good to limit Ohams to just 10 rebounds (under his average) and win the rebounding battle 40-32. Fordham switched to a man-to-man after halftime which resulted in fewer rebounds (especially on the offensive end) but we did well to offset that. Better boxing out recently as well.

Agree with others on here that Fordham's defensive performance in the second half is what I thought Mayhem would look like under JC. Kyle Neptune seems like he'll be a good coach for Fordham. They have a 4-star guard coming in next year so the future is bright for them.

The last play of the first half was not a backcourt violation on Adams, but still showed such a low IQ on our part, because we didn't need to cut it that close. Why we didn't just throw it into the backcourt made no sense to me. There was more than enough time to get the ball back up for the final possession.

The times we did manage to cleanly get the ball past the halfcourt line, I didn't think Fordham's defense was as strong, especially with their rotations. The obvious scout was to take away Bishop/Bamisile, but they pretty much disrespected the rest of the GW team on the floor. There were times when we took advantage of that (especially early on) but I thought there was opportunity for others not named JB to be more assertive during the game.

Hunter has been really good the past couple weeks, but there are periods where he (and Ricky) tend to just defer to others and wait for another player to get the ball. That makes us easier to guard, and I wish they would either take the short jumper (I get why they don't, but Hunter in particular has made the ones he's taken) or drive inside. They're capable of that. There need to be other options when Bishop/Bamisile inevitably have off nights.

Tough game for Brayon today. Thought he forced it a bit too much today and left many of his shots short. He'll likely bounce back next game.

Credit JB squared for getting it done despite Fordham doing all they could to take them away. Bishop has been really good down the stretch for much of the season and it's great to see another efficient performance today. Winning the first half with Bamisile on the bench for much of that time shows growth.

Joe taking that three and making it to give us the lead again at such a pivotal point in the game is definitely ballsy but so him at the same time. It was pretty well contested by Fordham (and not a very good possession by us) but he did shoot in rhythm. I think Bamisile leads the team in win shares, and that two play sequence (with the steal and Bishop layup) that gave us back the lead and momentum is the reason why. Joe only took three threes - a step in the right direction and he did a great job of making the extra pass today.

Ricky on a couple of occasions should have just pulled up for a short jumper instead of taking it all the way to the hoop, where there was always 1-2 Fordham defenders he would just barrel into. He makes some questionable decisions at times - he also had a play during Fordham's run where he tried dribbling between like 3 Ram defenders which naturally resulted in a turnover. Fordham did well to pressure us, but we have to be a lot better at handling pressure in the future, especially at home.

With another winnable game against La Salle at home coming up, this team has a chance to get back to .500 in the A10. Hope we keep it up!

1/31/2022 10:43 am  #151

Good solid win against a much improved team.  If nothing else, Kyle Neptune has his team playing really hard.  My perception was that their guys played harder than we did throughout much of this game.  Thought they appeared to want it more than we did.  Then, we got kicked in the face one too many times (i.e. gave up the lead) and pride took over.  We started to fight the way they had been fighting.  It was great to see Joe, who had not been much of a factor up until this point, make a few pivotal plays in allowing GW to retake the lead.  Hunter is giving all he has but we should all be realistic.  Not unlike Chase Paar before him, these guys are good enough to turn in big performances against lesser competition yet it's hard to see them hold their own against the Dayton's and VCU's of the world.

Interesting that we went back to 7 guys today.  No minutes for Amir?  I'm guessing that the scouting report showed that the Fordham guards were too small and quick for him.  

Major shout-out to Brendan for playing great defense on Quisenberry during the first half.  Not sure why we moved away from that after halftime.

Ricky must still be shaking off some cobwebs.  The double double was encouraging.  (I wonder how many of those GW has had from players coming off the bench.)  The 6 turnovers were rough.  Still, nice to see him take and make a pair of three pointers as well as collect 5 offensive rebounds, a stat that was sorely lacking in his absence.

I mentioned James in another thread.  Led this team yesterday in a manner that was both magnificent at times and under control throughout.

Tough day at the office for Brayon.  Am not overly concerned.  Challenging matchup just to keep up with their Energizer bunnies.

Qwanzi had a nice early 3.  Needs to play more decisively.  He passed up a few looks that he absolutely should have taken.

1/31/2022 11:05 am  #152

A few observations:

* They were clearly keying on Brayon when he was handling the ball and it generated a bunch of turnovers for them.  Hopefully other A-10 teams will find this tape too painful to watch and will miss that tactic.

* They were daring Dean to shoot or drive when he had the ball as the defender would sag back to the basket whenever he had the ball close to the three point line.  That seemed to be good scouting as well as Dean passed the ball off 100% of the time.

* It was Ohams' first game back after an ankle injury and it showed.  He owned Dean in the first half, but had to sit a lot and was limping around when on the court.  He was ineffective in the second half though.  We did give Dean more help down the stretch, but not sure how much of the improvement was due to his injury.

1/31/2022 2:25 pm  #153

Also should note that (I think) Keegan Harvey was on the bench in street clothes.

1/31/2022 6:25 pm  #154

With wins against Rhode Island, Mason and this win, things are improving.  

1/31/2022 7:35 pm  #155

BM wrote:

Also should note that (I think) Keegan Harvey was on the bench in street clothes.

He's been on the bench for home games and is enrolled in classes this semester but he isn't traveling for away games. It's nice that he has a semester to acclimate academically and otherwise before he really has to worry about basketball.

1/31/2022 8:33 pm  #156

Good sighting, GWstudent
Doesn't he have to sit out another semester after this one, for transferring?

Board footera