GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/25/2022 11:11 pm  #21

Re: A10 tourney and seeding

LA Colonial wrote:

10) UMASS 5-9 (VCU, @Fordham, Fordham, @GMU). We own the tie-break over them so one more win for us or a loss for UMASS means they can’t catch us.  The two games vs a Fordham loom large.

FQ, how does a potential tiebreaker with UMASS work when we play 17 games and they play 18?

Good point.  I was just looking at the loss column.

2/25/2022 11:34 pm  #22

Update after Friday.  Richmond beat StL to get to 10-6.

Also, I’m removing Rhode Island since they can’t pass us, just as I’m leaving Bona off since we can’t pass them.  We could tie either of those teams, but we own tie break over URI and Bona owns it over us (by virtue of their win over VCU) so those teams are irrelevant to us.

5)  Richmond 10-6 (Dayton, @Bona).  Big win over StL today technically vaults then to 5th on strange tie-break, though they have a tough remaining schedule and are underdogs in both.   If they lose their last two and we win out, we would overtake them, but that’s an extremely long shot.

6) St Louis 10-6 (@URI, VCU). Adding them because for now it’s technically possible we pass SLU should they lose their last two and we somehow win out - though they are favored in both. Also, while Richmond currently holds the tiebreaker (because SLU is 0-1 vs Dayton and UR hasn’t played them yet) if the two teams remain tied after Dayton beats Richmond, SLU would actually take over the tie break edge.

7) GW 7-7 ( @Mason, Duquesne, @Fordham). Mason game Sunday is more like the battle for Night Time than the battle for the Orange line since the winner will have the inside track for the 7 seed and a night game in the tourney, instead of a noon game.  Should we lose to Mason, we can still get to 7th by beating Duq and Fordham unless multiple upsets happen.

8) Mason 6-7 (GW, @Davidson, @UMASS). Assuming they lose at Davidson, the best they can do is 8-8, which means two wins and we clinch the 7 seed at worst.

9)  Fordham 6-8 (@Davidson, UMASS, @UMASS, GW).  Took care of business over LaSalle.  Assuming they lose at Davidson and we best Duq (no guarantees for either), they would need to sweep UMASS to have a chance to move ahead of us.

10) UMASS 5-9 (VCU, @Fordham, Fordham, @GMU). The two games vs a Fordham loom large.  Going to be tour for them to pass us.

2/26/2022 3:13 pm  #23

Fordham playing well against Davidson.  They are defending Davidson similar to the way teams defend us.  Lay off The players who are not offensive threats and double thh high scorers.  Tie game right now

2/26/2022 9:22 pm  #24

Terrible loss for Dayton at LaSalle.  They really couldn’t afford another Q4 loss when their whole case was to ignore the bad losses in the first two weeks.

5)  Richmond 10-6 (Dayton, @Bona).  Big win over StL yesterday technically vaults then to 5th on strange tie-break, though they have a tough remaining schedule and are underdogs in both.   If they lose their last two and we win out, we would overtake them, but that’s an extremely long shot.

6) St Louis 10-6 (@URI, VCU). Adding them because for now it’s technically possible we pass SLU should they lose their last two and we somehow win out - though they are favored in both. Also, while Richmond currently holds the tiebreaker (because SLU is 0-1 vs Dayton and UR hasn’t played them yet) if the two teams remain tied after Dayton beats Richmond, SLU would actually take over the tie break edge.

7) GW 7-7 ( @Mason, Duquesne, @Fordham). Mason game Sunday is more like the battle for Night Time than the battle for the Orange line since the winner will have the inside track for the 7 seed and a night game in the tourney, instead of a noon game.  Should we lose to Mason, we can still get to 7th by beating Duq and Fordham unless multiple upsets happen.

8) Mason 6-7 (GW, @Davidson, @UMASS). Assuming they lose at Davidson, the best they can do is 8-8, which means two wins and we clinch the 7 seed at worst. I know we are the underdogs, but finding a way to win tomorrow would come close to sealing a spot in the top half.

9)  Fordham 6-8 (@Davidson, UMASS, @UMASS, GW).  Took care of business over LaSalle.  Assuming they lose at Davidson and we best Duq (no guarantees for either), they would need to sweep UMASS to have a chance to move ahead of us.

10) UMASS 5-10 (@Fordham, Fordham, @GMU). Loss to VCU means the magic number for us to lock up a single digit seed is 1 - either a win by us or any loss by UMASS and they can’t catch us.  They are also tied with URI now.

2/28/2022 12:00 am  #25

Update heading into the final week:

With our loss to Mason, no one new can break into the top 6.  I’ll take Richmond and SLU off because they don’t matter to our seed any longer.

7) Mason 7-7 ( @Davidson, @UMASS). Unless they upset Davidson, we still control our destiny for finishing in the top half.

8) GW 7-8 (Duquesne, @Fordham). Don’t want anyone on our team looking past Duq because anything can happen in the A10.  Beat Duq and the Fordham game could be a big one for us.

9)  Fordham 6-9 (UMASS, @UMASS, GW).  They play UMASS both Monday and Wednesday.  If Fordham finished tied with us, we would probably wind up with the tiebreak over them anyway as long as Dayton doesn’t pass Davidson in the standings. Wouldn’t really matter because in that scenario, it’s most likely in an 8-9 game.

10) UMASS 5-10 (@Fordham, Fordham, @GMU). If they lose either game to Fordham or we win one more, I believe we secure a single digit seed. 

I’ll also add, someone else may find a scenario, but the only I can see is dropping to the 10 seed is:
- we lose both games to finish 7-10
-UMASS wins its 3 games to finish 8-10
- Fordham losses both to Umass, beats us to finish 7-10
- Davidson loses to both George Mason and Dayton to finish 14-4
- Dayton wins as Richmond and beats Davidson to finish 14-4.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if all of those things happened, GMU would be 7th at 8-8, UMASS would be the 8 seed at 8-10, we would tie with Fordham at 7-10 - and we’d have split head to head, so the next tire break would be record vs top teams in the league.  Since they lost to Davidson twice and we lost to Dayton twice, they would need Dayton to finish ahead of Davidson, which they would if they tie at 14-4. 

All that to say it’s extremely unlikely we could fall to 10, but theoretically possible, at least until Monday’s games.

2/28/2022 12:30 am  #26

There will be no tiebreak with Fordham because they play 18 games and we play 17.

2/28/2022 8:52 am  #27

LA Colonial wrote:

There will be no tiebreak with Fordham because they play 18 games and we play 17.

You are right again.  Turns out I suck at this.  Damn unbalanced schedules keep tripping me up. 

So I guess that means we can’t be any worse than 9 seed because either Umass or Fordham has to have two losses.  If Umass wins both, Fordham would have 11 losses.  If they split or Fordham sweeps, UMASS would have 11 or 12 losses.  And the worst we could finish is 7-10.

2/28/2022 8:59 am  #28

Trying again because I keep mixing up 17 vs 18 total games.

We can finish no worse than the 9 seed. 

7) Mason 7-7 ( @Davidson, @UMASS). Unless they upset Davidson, we still control our destiny for finishing in the top half.

8) GW 7-8 (Duquesne, @Fordham). Don’t want anyone on our team looking past Duq because anything can happen in the A10.  Beat Duq and the Fordham game could be a big one for us.

9)  Fordham 6-9 (UMASS, @UMASS, GW).  If we beat Duq, the only way Fordham finishes ahead of us is to sweep Umass and beat us to finish 9-9.

10) UMASS 5-10 (@Fordham, Fordham, @GMU). Either Fordham or UMASS will finish with at least 11 losses. 

At this point, we are either the 7, 8, or 9 seed.  We get the 7 by winning one more remaining game than George Mason.  Our opponent will be largely determined by the UMASS-Fordham home and home, though Rhode Island and George Mason are both possible as our first round opponent.

2/28/2022 9:55 am  #29

The best scenario for us is a win over Duquesne and UMass and Fordham split. If that happens we can finish no worse than 8th regardless of outcome of Fordham game. Now if we win both and Mason loses to Davidson we get 7th.

2/28/2022 3:31 pm  #30

If things hold, we have a 8 vs 9 Fordham path, the winner to play Davidson which looks like the best case scenario for us.

Worst case I think would be the 7-10 line vs George Mason and then VCU.  

2/28/2022 4:10 pm  #31

No Dude.  The worst case for GW is the 9, not the 10.  UMASS and Fordham play each other twice this week.  GW can not finish below both of them.  As much as you would like to shove GW's finish as close to your predicted 13th place as possible, I'm afraid the actual wins and losses do not lie.  

2/28/2022 8:49 pm  #32

Free Quebec wrote:

LA Colonial wrote:

You are right again. Turns out I suck at this. Damn unbalanced schedules keep tripping me up.

So I guess that means we can’t be any worse than 9 seed because either Umass or Fordham has to have two losses. If Umass wins both, Fordham would have 11 losses. If they split or Fordham sweeps, UMASS would have 11 or 12 losses. And the worst we could finish is 7-10.

you don't suck at this....I am sure you did much better than most of us could.  

2/28/2022 10:40 pm  #33

Fordham beats UMASS at home so Umass can not pass us in the standings. We are now jockeying with only two other teams for our seed/place in the standings.

8) GW 7-8 (Duquesne, @Fordham). Don’t want anyone on our team looking past Duq because anything can happen in the A10.  Our magic number to finish ahead of Fordham is 2 (if we win and they lose, they wouldn’t even be able to pass us if they beat us). But let’s beat Duquesne and set our sights on finishing in the top half.

9)  Fordham 7-9 ( @UMASS, GW).  After beating them handily, they travel to UMASS on Wednesday.

3/01/2022 9:28 am  #34

It would be nice if some day we can again talk about magic numbers for finishing in the top 4 rather than the 7, 8 or 9 seed.   

3/01/2022 11:06 am  #35

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

It would be nice if some day we can again talk about magic numbers for finishing in the top 4 rather than the 7, 8 or 9 seed.   

That’s only happened 4 times in the last 17 years.  The 6-8 seeds is probably where we realistically should aspire to end up based on our history. It’s where ML’s best teams finished in the conference.

If we are talking about finishing in the top 4, we are probably witnessing one of the historically great teams of the last two decades (06, 07, 11*, 14).

* The last Hobbs year was definitely not an all time team but we were a tie breaker away from finishing in the top 4).

3/01/2022 2:47 pm  #36

Doesn't really matter where we finish as long as we get to the NCAAs or NIT with some regularity, as we
did under Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan.
   Barring a very miracle A-10 run to win the tournament, that is not going to happen this year.

3/01/2022 3:04 pm  #37

jf wrote:

Doesn't really matter where we finish as long as we get to the NCAAs or NIT with some regularity, as we
did under Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan.
   Barring a very miracle A-10 run to win the tournament, that is not going to happen this year.

Uh hello ...We've made the NCAA tournament exactly one time in the last 15 years under 4 different coaches. Are you sure you aren't on the wrong message board?.

Last edited by GWRising (3/01/2022 3:05 pm)

3/01/2022 3:43 pm  #38

Was going to write a longer response to this tiresome taunting of posters here who don't think that everything is always done right all the time, despite our record.
  But I'll make it simple: try more reading and less mocking.
  It's not a good look and not good for this board.

3/01/2022 3:57 pm  #39

What's tiresome is the wild speculation, the constant snark and an inability to get the facts right. Try getting your facts in order, stop speculating about things you have no idea about (such as why players left) and lose the snark. Maybe then there wouldn't be a need for a response. 

3/01/2022 3:59 pm  #40

If I've done the math right, 9 ncaa's in 26 years under Jarvis, Penders, Hobbs and Lonergan, or about 1/3 of the time.  Add in 5 NIT appearances over that period and you have an NCAA or NIT appearance in slightly above 50% of the seasons over this period.  Am pretty sure this is what should be considered our aspirational goals, and it's certainly not a wild-ass hope for this program after considering that this program has already accomplished this in the past.

Board footera