GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2022 5:44 pm  #81

Re: GW vs Mason Game Thread

GW0509 wrote:

A part of me feels like a whiner for saying this but the Mason was getting allllll the homecooking from the refs today.

100%.

I just got home from the game. It was brutal.  The killer sequence came with 4 minutes to go and GW up 4 when Bamisile got clearly hit on a follow through on a three with no call, Mason comes down and the guy CLEARLY kicks his leg out but they call a three shot foul on Ricky.  They made 2 of the 3 FTs, it gave Ricky his 4th, and instead of being up 7 with 4 to go, they cut it to 2.   I also thought they was a lot of contact being let go on James and Joe’s drives, but they just have to get tougher at finishing through contact. 

Obviously we have no answer for a high scoring all league big, but we still should have won.  Tough shooting day for Bishop and some unlucky officiating were the difference.

After seeing us play them twice, if we somehow matched up on a neutral court in the conference tourney, I would expect us to win. I think they needed a hell of a lot of luck to beat us today.

2/27/2022 5:46 pm  #82

FredD wrote:

“A part of me feels like a whiner for saying this but the Mason was getting allllll the homecooking from the refs today.”

Absolutely but home jobs have been the A10 way since the Eastern Eight. Looks like our conference record will be 8-9, which is a ton better than they looked early January. Still this stings

I’m not conceding the game at Fordham.  I don’t see any reason why shouldn’t go to their place and get a win, let alone already count it as a loss.

2/27/2022 6:01 pm  #83

LSF noted that early in the game Bishop was regressing. I thought he was just chucking up shots whenever he got the ball, and missing. He was benched for a while.  I left the game with us up 47-40 hoping we would win. However, Bishop apparently kept chucking up the ball to the tune of 3-17.  That regression killed us.   

2/27/2022 6:22 pm  #84

Bishop now 19-71 over the past 5 games.  That is 26.8% folks...  When you are going that poorly over an extended period of time, you have to come up with a different end of game scoring option.   With what I believe was still a 3 point game in the final 2 minutes, he launched what had to be a shot from 27-30 feet out.  

2/27/2022 6:38 pm  #85

Actually think it’s pretty remarkable that we’re playing as well as we are with virtually no inside presence on offense or defense. We need our 2 big guys to take more than 3 shots in 30 minutes. Impossible to keep the defense honest if our bigs aren’t any kind of threat. Even if they miss most of their shots, at least the defense has to pay some attention to them. Like I said, we’re playing well without any offensive production from our big guys and no rim protection on defense. Think JC gets some credit for that.

2/27/2022 7:28 pm  #86

Tough loss. We've been pretty good in close games during A10 play but found ourselves on the wrong end in this one.

Mason has the more balanced team, but I think the fact they went away from Oduro in the second half was pretty questionable and they are fortunate to have come out on top despite that. Oduro could have easily put up 40+ on us if they kept going down low to him instead of launching from three.

Tough weekend for both the MBB and WBB teams. The refs called literally everything on us in both games and we struggled to put the ball in the hoop to offset that. I could live with most of the calls today, but there were a few that were pretty questionable. Whenever Oduro touched the ball, the refs seemed inclined to blow the whistle. The and-one called on Ricky late had such little contact that I don't think you call that so late in the game. Brayon was also called for a foul #4 on a steal that looked like he got all ball against Oduro. These seem like small calls, but they made a real difference in momentum.

I thought JC did a good job with rotations today, but Bishop so clearly needed more rest. He looked pretty winded during the second half which probably hurt his efficiency. By comparison, I thought Joe's minutes were handled a lot better when he rested during the second half which enabled him to come back into the game and make a number of shots. Liked Amir coming in during the second half to provide a breather for others and wouldn't have minded him getting a few of Bishop's minutes to keep JB fresh.

Compared to the Richmond game, I thought we did a great job defensively for the most part. Mason had a couple open threes, but we did a good job doubling Oduro and recovering back to the three point line (that is outside the couple of times Oduro just broke through the double team and put the ball in the hoop). Polite also burned us a few times late driving to the hoop because we didn't get back on D.

We gave ourselves a chance at a win despite JB squared going 8-33 from the field. Unfortunately with this team, it's tough to come out on top when our top guards shoot that poorly from the field. You can pretty much copy and paste the same headline from game to game that we get absolutely nothing from the frontcourt and that hurts us in a game like this one where we had a chance at a W because of good defense. As WI Colonial 2021 mentioned above, credit JC for guiding the team to a bunch of wins despite that, but we have yet to have a big who can post up and force the opposition to spend less time guarding our backcourt. That helps us win games even when JB squared inevitably have an off game shooting the ball (which happens). That's what is keeping us from being a good/above average team.

Hunter, Noel, and Qwanzi battled like hell down low, but offensively gave us 2 points in 44 combined minutes. Each had a nice play or two in the game but we simply need to find more production there this offseason. I like what I've seen from Keegan in the highlights, but both him and Jabari West will be pretty young. If the news is true that Ricky is planning on going pro we have an absolutely massive hole to patch in the frontcourt which is concerning.

Brayon was really good again today. He plays so hard defensively and seems to always make the right read. That's not to mention his ability to make shots. Something is definitely wrong if he doesn't make the all-rookie team.

Great game from Brendan as well. He gave us what we need - a few made baskets getting to the hoop, some great ball handling bringing the ball up/finding the open man, great on-ball defense, and even did a great job crashing the glass. Also only one attempted three!

Liked Ricky's aggressiveness today. I had mentioned in the last game that he settles too much and shoots a bunch of threes. In the 11 conference games he's played prior to today, he shot just 2 combined free throws. Yes, you read that correctly. He commands enough respect that he should be able to draw fouls and get to the line much more than that. If he could only stay out of trouble and avoid the silly ones, that would be really big for us. Nothing against Qwanzi, but I think JC realized today that he needs Ricky out there as much as possible by starting him today.

The only other thing to mention is our shot selection. A bit too much one-on-one today and 7 total team assists has to be one our lowest marks in quite some time. The shots we took in the final two minutes were simply not needed given the time and score of the game. I don't hate Joe shooting an off-balanced three earlier in the game because he's shown that he can make it, but I don't think that should be the primary option late in the game. After JC called a timeout down three, we ran a really good play to find Joe wide open from the top of the key. The ball ultimately rimmed out, but it was a good shot. We ended up with an offensive rebound and James launched a three a bit too early in the shot clock. I like that we are playing more uptempo this year, but in the final minutes I think we can afford to use a bit more clock to find a better shot (maybe one that isn't a three right away). That is especially true on a later play where Joe launched a three in transition with 20+ seconds left in the game. Our play in the final minutes sums up our issue on offense at times. We settle way too much on jumpers when we could easily get to the hoop and give ourselves a chance at drawing a foul. JB squared are really good at doing that but don't do it enough. I thought Bishop did well in the second half to get to the line a bit more to get him going, but it wasn't consistent. Our opponents never find themselves in foul trouble against us because we aren't always aggressive on this end. That's what I really like about Brayon's assertiveness going downhill when he's in the game. It's much needed on this team. 

We figure to be favored at home on senior day against Duquesne. We should be plenty motivated after dropping the last two games. Hope Knapp gets the start.

2/27/2022 7:34 pm  #87

Oduro must have drawn 20 fouls on us.   As I mentioned during the game, I thought our most effective defense was with both Dean and Brown sitting.  Thought Samuel’s did a decent job on him…Lindo too. Unfortunately, he was very effective kicking ball out when double teamed  but Mason got hot from the 3 midway through 2nd half, mostly on wide opened looks.

2/27/2022 7:34 pm  #88

It is very questionable that given our shooting woes, Knapp does not sniff the court.
But it would be really problematic if he doesn't start on Senior Day, though I think JC has been good about that tradition.

2/27/2022 7:37 pm  #89

Maybe if Freeman took 17 shots and Bishop 10, instead of the other way around…?

2/27/2022 7:39 pm  #90

THAT SUCKED. We led throughout, executed a great game plan, played intense team defense, and lost anyway? To THOSE fuckers? We OWN the fakking Patriot Center!!!!

2/27/2022 8:11 pm  #91

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Oduro must have drawn 20 fouls on us.

He had 13 fouls drawn and wasn't called for a single foul. It's insane that a player with his physicality didn't commit any fouls and I think he benefited from the home whistles.

2/27/2022 8:46 pm  #92

gwstudent2024 wrote:

He had 13 fouls drawn and  wasn't called for a single foul.

2/27/2022 9:34 pm  #93

jf wrote:

It is very questionable that given our shooting woes, Knapp does not sniff the court.
But it would be really problematic if he doesn't start on Senior Day, though I think JC has been good about that tradition.

So you think Knapp should play more. Great! But I think JC knows a little bit more than you do about Knapp's capabilities and where he can be successfully utilized. After all, he sees him everyday in practice. And you?

2/27/2022 9:40 pm  #94

Three things contributed to varying degrees to our loss:

1. Awful officiating
2. Inability to defend the post
3. Late second half shooting woes.

Need to be better in the last 2 areas. #1 we can't control.

2/27/2022 9:54 pm  #95

Knapp reminds me of the journeyman hitting .280 in AAA that people are demanding get called up. Sure, he could come up and give you a couple of good at bats, but if he could do more he wouldn’t be in the minors.

Last edited by GW0509 (2/27/2022 9:56 pm)

2/27/2022 10:40 pm  #96

Officiating did not cost us this game.   In fact, at least for most of the second half, the fouls were pretty even on both teams.  We are generally going to get more fouls called on us because (1) our interior defense is so bad that we are forced to foul; and (2) along those same lines, the other teams attack the basket and draw fouls and we generally settle for outside shots, with some notable exceptions of course.   We lost because of our inability to defend the post; our being outrebounded 48-30 (including 16-8 on the offensive boards and because our two leading scorers shot a combined 8-33.  Second chance points by the opponants have been hurting us all season.  It also didn't help that our centers shot combined for 2 points iand 3 rebounds and 7 fouls in 30 minutes, and those 2 points were on Brown picking up a loose ball under the basket and laying it in. Our selfish play (7 assists on 19 made baskets, to go along with 9 turnovers) certainly did not help the cause.  We did not lose because of the referees, even though I am sure we can all point to a few instances of blown calls that went againt us.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (2/27/2022 10:44 pm)

2/27/2022 10:52 pm  #97

GWRising wrote:

jf wrote:

So you think Knapp should play more. Great! But I think JC knows a little bit more than you do about Knapp's capabilities and where he can be successfully utilized. After all, he sees him everyday in practice. And you?

Have eyes and can read D1 stats and realize that doing things the same way when you are losing, sometimes losing big, is not necessarily a great strategy. Also players get tired.
    Yes, we've been great about successfully utilizing players this year and under JC.

2/28/2022 7:21 am  #98

Two thoughts after being at the game (didn't see any other GW fans but there must have been some): First, GW needs a big man that can play offense and defense. What else is new? Nobody on the current roster even comes close. Second, down the stretch in games, Christian is literally nowhere to be found. Players essentially do what they want--including taking bad shots. In games where they make their shots against lesser competition, GW may win; if they don't like yesterday, forget about it. No discipline, strategy from the coach. This is getting old. Yesterday's game was so winnable I could spit! I don't care that they've done better in the league this season. So many other games that could have been won with some coaching. Mark my words, Christian will not be taking this program to the promised land!!!

2/28/2022 7:25 am  #99

20 fouls by our bigs is actually a pretty genius strategy when you're that outgunned in the post. Worked twice against URI.

2/28/2022 7:44 am  #100

Board footera