GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2022 2:51 pm  #81

Re: 2022 Transfer Targets

Hope it was GW paying.

The only people who could/will have a gripe are GW profs.

4/11/2022 2:55 pm  #82

Gwmayhem wrote:

Let's make up our minds.  If someone posts a picture of the team boarding a chartered flight to URI, is the reaction here going to be "it's about time" or "what a waste of money"?  Or, is it cool when the team does it but far less cool when the coach and his wife charter a flight?

Group travel is not the same as individual travel. And was he coming from someplace without commercial options to DC? (right now I think that is limited to Russia and Kyiv, and I doubt he was in either)

4/11/2022 3:06 pm  #83

Gwmayhem wrote:

If you really want to question the use of university funds, start with why $70,000 was spent on a search firm when the leading candidate from the outset was already known.  That's a far more germane question than why our new coach gets to fly privately to his press conference.

The plane. The search firm fee. Fine questions if we were not in the fun house that is D1. Since we are, if Mr. Caputo wins, this all means nothing and in the pursuit of visiting the upper division of the A10 sometime soon it still means nothing, if you ask me.

My question is how the heck do they manage the NIL situation:

1) They'd better be pro-active and actually manage the situation and help all their athletes
2) Avoid onerous university restrictions.
3) NCAA sanction

4/11/2022 3:17 pm  #84

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Let's make up our minds.  If someone posts a picture of the team boarding a chartered flight to URI, is the reaction here going to be "it's about time" or "what a waste of money"?  Or, is it cool when the team does it but far less cool when the coach and his wife charter a flight?

Group travel is not the same as individual travel. And was he coming from someplace without commercial options to DC? (right now I think that is limited to Russia and Kyiv, and I doubt he was in either)

Sure, he could have flown commercial.  My flight last week was delayed two hours.  My cousin's was delayed three hours.  And, he does have a press conference this afternoon.

4/11/2022 4:05 pm  #85

Gwmayhem wrote:

Sure, he could have flown commercial.  My flight last week was delayed two hours.  My cousin's was delayed three hours.  And, he does have a press conference this afternoon.

That is what you get for flying Spirit!
Aside from The Hatchet, are any media even going to show up? 6pm on a weekday is a bad time-- it messes with deadlines.

4/11/2022 4:25 pm  #86

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

That is what you get for flying Spirit!
Aside from The Hatchet, are any media even going to show up? 6pm on a weekday is a bad time-- it messes with deadlines.

No idea who the SID is these days, but seems like that’s on them to set this thing up to generate coverage.

4/11/2022 4:27 pm  #87

NBC Sports Washington and WTOP asked questions.  SID...

4/11/2022 4:35 pm  #88

Also Patrick Stevens from the Post

4/11/2022 4:37 pm  #89

Two small things that caught my ear.

Caputo said he would be “demanding without being demeaning.”  Interesting choice of a phrase given all that transpired post NIT.

Caputo’s three keys spelled out ACC. Methinks that might’ve been his catchphrase at Miami lol.

4/11/2022 4:40 pm  #90

Also found it interesting that he said three of the five players on their final four and elite eight teams were transfers.  "We're going to make the portal work for us".

4/11/2022 5:13 pm  #91

I have to laugh when TV mentions Mike Brey among Mike Brown, Shawnta Rogers and Pops Mensah Bonsu as a player who has helped shape GW's glorious history.  Mike played here for one year, split point guard duties, and his GW team did not reach a postseason tournament.  He was a perfectly fine player but without his great coaching career, there isn't a chance in hell that he's mentioned in the same breath.  And, I say this respectfully as a friend of his. He'd be the first to agree.

4/11/2022 6:58 pm  #92

Gwmayhem wrote:

I have to laugh when TV mentions Mike Brey among Mike Brown, Shawnta Rogers and Pops Mensah Bonsu as a player who has helped shape GW's glorious history.  Mike played here for one year, split point guard duties, and his GW team did not reach a postseason tournament.  He was a perfectly fine player but without his great coaching career, there isn't a chance in hell that he's mentioned in the same breath.  And, I say this respectfully as a friend of his. He'd be the first to agree.

Brey is probably one of the best known GW college basketball people, definitely because of his coaching career, but still think it make sense to mention him.

4/11/2022 7:00 pm  #93

Here is Caputo's press conference, gets started around 15:20 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpjPPU_SgRA

To me, I like that he said GW is big for international and that international recruiting will be important.

Last edited by squid (4/11/2022 7:01 pm)

4/11/2022 7:03 pm  #94

The press conference was a bit underwhelming, but then again I came away more impressed after JC's introduction and that didn't really go anywhere. Wrighton sounded like a robot who was reading from a teleprompter and doing it badly. Caputo seemed to talk more off the cuff which made his presser a bit less engaging. When he started talking about how he wanted to build the team and his expectations for GW it picked up a bit of steam. The international recruiting talk was also encouraging.

Anyways, what matters more like he said is performance on the court and games aren't won in the press conference. There are still two open assistant spots. There's plenty of names in the transfer portal but we need to start hitting it sooner rather than later. Caputo certainly has his work cut out for him building out the roster otherwise Bishop is going to have to take 30 shots a game. I'm not sure the remaining guys on the roster should be starting outside of Bishop, although Harvey is one that intrigues me if CC can develop him like Sam Waardenburg. Both are stretch forwards from Oceania that shot over 40% from 3 and the opportunity is definitely there for Keegan to shine.

4/12/2022 5:58 am  #95

I concur about Wighton. Duhhhh. TV was also dime store. CC said all the right things, seemed affable, informed of our tradition and the state of the game, knows it will be about the wins and losses and that ultimately this is a stepping stone if he does well. 

4/12/2022 8:57 am  #96

Pretty boilerplate stuff for the most part.  I agree about CC saying all of the right things.  A pretty funny moment came when one of the student reporters started a question along the lines of "I'm not going to ask you about specific schemes but..." and was cut off by CC who acknowledged "that's good because I am not going to talk about them."  Of course, that kind of sarcastic humor comes dangerously close to "verbal abuse" at GW so I'd advise CC to watch his step.  (Lighten up folks, it's a joke.  I think.)

Hoping that CC experiences quick success at GW, and that Larranaga coaches well into his 80's.

4/12/2022 9:30 am  #97

GW0509 wrote:

Two small things that caught my ear.

Caputo said he would be “demanding without being demeaning.”  Interesting choice of a phrase given all that transpired post NIT.

Caputo’s three keys spelled out ACC. Methinks that might’ve been his catchphrase at Miami lol.

Thought of a third small thing and that was how all the GW staff in that prerecorded montage mispronounced CC’s last name. Apparently it’s Ka-pew-toe and not Ka-poo-toe. You’d think someone would’ve told them how to say CC’s last name.

4/12/2022 9:43 am  #98

Darin Green Jr. is in the portal.

If we can’t get Kwame Evans’ kid maybe Darin Green’s kid would be interested in playing where his pops did?

4/12/2022 10:25 am  #99

Virginia Tech’s Naheim Alleyne portal.  His shooting would be huge for us.

4/12/2022 11:04 am  #100

Looks like we offered Darin Jr in 2018.  He's a marginally better shooter than Alleyne.

Board footera