GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2022 2:28 pm  #81

Re: GW Next Head Coach Candidates Thread

BM wrote:

GW73 wrote:

Word on new provost is that he isn't interested in sports. It would be nice for him to prove he does care about sports.

Well at least we know he attended one GW game (a win vs GMU in 2020).

one game, minimal experience, not much "in the news"...hopefully our new HC won't have these attributes

3/17/2022 9:31 pm  #82

keithgreene wrote:

Jason Williford at UVa is also having his name connected with our job as a possible candidate.

If he can coach defense like Tony Bennett, we would be good fast.

3/17/2022 10:43 pm  #83

Archie Miller to Rhode Island looks to now be confirmed by several sources.  Miller's own twitter account (reposted by URI AD Thorr Bjorn) even lists himself as URI coach:

https://twitter.com/BillKoch25/status/1504632306002276356

https://twitter.com/thorrbjorn/status/1504656392535298051

3/18/2022 1:09 pm  #84

One name I haven’t seen posted yet is Mike Pegues. Seems like he’d be a realistic option both in terms of experience and salary.  Local guy, went to DeMatha, played for Mike Brey. HC record in conference wasn’t great at Louisville but not sure what you’d expect as an interim coach.

3/18/2022 2:13 pm  #85

For whatever it's worth, Brayon Freeman liked Mike Hall's tweet about bringing back Hobbs.

3/18/2022 3:09 pm  #86

Hugh wrote:

For whatever it's worth, Brayon Freeman liked Mike Hall's tweet about bringing back Hobbs.

I was thinking about how well Brayon could work under Hobbs/TJ. Hobbs certainly got bunches out of PGs. Brayon could just be next.

3/18/2022 3:28 pm  #87

Hugh wrote:

To me, that's a great sign. Brayon Freeman was probably born when Mike Hall was a freshman or sophomore at GW so the fact that they are connecting with each other(or Brayon listens to and likes Mike Hall's wise words) is tremendous for the program. Has Mike Hall spoken with the team at any point? Or did Brayon Freeman seek him out? 

3/18/2022 3:32 pm  #88

danjsport wrote:

Hugh wrote:

I was thinking about how well Brayon could work under Hobbs/TJ. Hobbs certainly got bunches out of PGs. Brayon could just be next.

I’m not in favor of Hobbs because I think his entire system rose and fall on being more athletic than our opponents. People forget, but in 06 we were literally the fastest team in the country (especially when montell McDonald was playing). 

It would be a great system for Joe Bam and Brayon since he would just try to create mismatches and rely on their athleticism.  Though unlike JC, he does a great job teaching his guards to pressure the ball, which would also really suit Bam and Bray.

3/18/2022 3:40 pm  #89

Just to give an idea of what some A-10 new hires are getting - 5 years at $8.5M:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1504851880182267907

Last edited by TJT85 (3/18/2022 3:40 pm)

3/18/2022 7:36 pm  #90

Love James Jones of Yale but not sure why he’d want us. Also best dressed coach in America (although that bar is very low).

3/18/2022 10:38 pm  #91

[color=inherit]Jeff Ermann[/color][/url][url=https://twitter.com/Jeff_Ermann]@Jeff_Ermann·20m I'm hearing Mike Pegues, the Maryland native/DeMatha alum who took over as Louisville's head coach last season after Chris Mack's firing, is firmly in the mix for the George Washington job.

3/18/2022 11:31 pm  #92

Florida Colonial wrote:

[color=inherit]Jeff Ermann[/color][/url][url=https://twitter.com/Jeff_Ermann]@Jeff_Ermann·20m I'm hearing Mike Pegues, the Maryland native/DeMatha alum who took over as Louisville's head coach last season after Chris Mack's firing, is firmly in the mix for the George Washington job.

Less than one year as a head coach and a losing record. Sounds about right.

3/19/2022 6:14 am  #93

Florida Colonial wrote:

Guess this means I need to start a search firm.

3/19/2022 7:49 am  #94

Mike Pegues has experience as an Asst Coach and HC at successful, bigger programs. He also  played and succeeded under Brey, and is from DC. He seems to check many boxes. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pegues

3/19/2022 7:57 am  #95

Florida Colonial wrote:

Jeff Ermann @Jeff_Ermann 20m
I'm hearing Mike Pegues, the Maryland native/DeMatha alum who took over as Louisville's head coach last season after Chris Mack's firing, is firmly in the mix for the George Washington job.

Jeff Ermann @Jeff_Ermann 7h
Also hearing Delaware's Martin Inglesby and former Georgetown coach John Thompson III are in the mix at GW.

So we canned JC for this? Inglesby has never finished higher than 4th in the CAA and has a career sub .500 record in conference. Part of the intrigue with originally hiring Jamion was that he won 60+% games in conference when coaching in the NEC/MAAC, which at least meant that we had a chance of getting hot late (something he did show when he was here as coach despite some poor starts to the season). Sure Delaware made the tournament this year but they don't do anything great on either side of the ball. Apart from the Brey connection, does Ingelsby have any local roots? Delaware does have a few DC players on their squad but I assumed that Ingelsby is more of a Philly guy who would be a better fit for the St. Joe's/La Salle job whenever they open.

JT III will alienate the fanbase and I am surprised that he is being strongly considered. He obviously won a lot but has been out of D1 coaching for 5 years when the landscape of college basketball has changed a lot.

Pegues carries some intrigue but again I don't know why we would move on from JC to take the chance on someone who only had half a year experience doing a fine enough job as an interim coach. He inherited a bad situation but 1-9 against possibly the worst ACC league in quite some time doesn't provide a lot of confidence off the bat. From watching some of his postgame conferences, I can see why TV is buying the hype because Pegues isn't afraid to speak his mind.

I originally expressed some doubt that we would make the correct hire in my last post and if Pegues, Inglesby, and JT III are the final three names that concern may hold true. I assumed we would be in the mix for James Jones, Matt Langel, etc. but perhaps that's a long shot now. Neither has local roots but they have certainly proven themselves in the Ivy/Patriot. I could live with Caputo but I thought that made more sense when LeBlanc was still at the helm. That Miami to GW connection is not as relevant now, but he does have DC connections having been an assistant at Mason. His name has been attached with many A10 jobs for a while but given he's been an assistant under Larrañaga for 20 years, I assumed at this point he was holding out to get eventually promoted in Coral Gables.

3/19/2022 8:29 am  #96

How about Lamont Paris? Certainly knows how to get the best out of the transfer portal. His team certainly knows how to run an offense other thane player  dribble and shoot. He has great experience as an assistant at Wisconsin, where they develop players through their college career as well or better than anyone in the country. And the Badgers put a premium on not turning the ball over and playing defense. 

3/19/2022 8:35 am  #97

Caputo, Pegues, JT3, are you kidding me. If this is the direction we go we are looking at 10 more years of losing seasons. I could see Williford, Wojo, Colgate guy but this CAN NOT be another weak hire. Somebody please tell me what the plan is.

3/19/2022 9:04 am  #98

Hard to tell at this point whether these are actual leaks or just idle speculation.  It would sort of fly in the face of hiring a search firm if it’s all down to names that were posted about 5 mins after the job opened up.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/19/2022 9:13 am)

3/19/2022 9:22 am  #99

By saying she would make an announcement in late March or early April, Vogel implied that the hire would come from a school still playing. I take these early rumours as more an example of people campaigning for the job (or a better deal from their current employer or just trying to get someone/anyone to pay attention to them) than anything too serious.
The guy I wanted hired last time (Kevin Nickleberry) had his season come to an end yesterday, but I don´t think GW will want to touch anyone with less than five degrees of separation from the LSU shitshow.
(for the record, I still think Lindsey Harding would be a good choice if GW can offer a higher salary than what an NBA assistant gets).

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (3/19/2022 9:28 am)

3/19/2022 11:45 am  #100

Board footera