GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2022 9:58 am  #101

Re: Colonials in the Portal

Brayon's departure is a tough one to absorb, more difficult in certain respects than even Joe's decision to leave.  Simply put, Brayon was much further along on the learning curve than Joe.  He reunites with one of his earlier coaches (Kenny Johnson?) and it's important to note that he established a relationship with JC since he was in the 8th grade.  Yes, this sort of thing will happen when coaching changes are made.

It is a different day and age in this sport.  Brayon played for four different high schools/prep schools so this will be his 6th head coach in the past 6 years.  Change is pretty much all he's known.  As for how he handled things on social media, honestly, good for him.  He did not disparage GW.  He instead celebrated his decision to play for URI.  Sure, I think he will be reserving some great games for when he goes up against GW.

We should not lose sight of the following point:  firing a coach and his staff just three seasons into his first 5 year contract is practically unheard of.  The players, particularly those who felt loyalty to JC, had to have felt blindsided by this.  CC may turn out to be great but that's unknown today.  What we know that players with options, Joe, Brayon, technically Ira (though he left during the season), and presumably Ricky, will be playing for another school next season.  This leaves James, Brendan, and Hunter as the only players of real consequence to potentially return.  (Not willing to put Qwanzi or Noel in this category yet and am pretty sure Amir is finished playing.)

It of course will be unfair to judge CC based on his 2022-23 team, and therefore, I won't.  Nevertheless, who he is able to sign up is starting to look more and more like the difference between a 10-12 win Year 1 team and a 3-6 win Year 1 team.

4/18/2022 9:59 am  #102

URI is a party with a beach and an NCAA basketball team.

4/18/2022 10:02 am  #103

URI is a party with a beach  and an NCAA Basketball program.

4/18/2022 11:32 am  #104

Not good at all.  But everyone does what they want to do anymore anyway. Nothing is stable anymore.
The whole College basketball scene is now a joke. Even High School players change teams every year. No wonder all the old coaches are quitting.  And what do people mean by the term kid? When does the age of reason begin?  14, 18, 21, 50?  Too much turbulence.  

4/18/2022 2:31 pm  #105

Glass half full: JC came in Year 1 and within a few days of his hiring we were getting the likes of Shawn Walker Jr., Sloan Seymour and Ace Stalling.  Just because we haven't had any commits yet doesn't mean CC won't be bringing in talent shortly.  Unfortunately we dont have an equivalent GWRising for CC yet.

Glass half empty: At least JC brought people and was able to convince JNJ to commit to GW after he decommitted from SJU.  I just read an article from the Hatchet that quoted Caputo as saying he wasn't bringing any players with him from Miami.

Last edited by GW0509 (4/18/2022 2:32 pm)

4/18/2022 10:18 pm  #106

Gwmayhem wrote:

It of course will be unfair to judge CC based on his 2022-23 team, and therefore, I won't.  Nevertheless, who he is able to sign up is starting to look more and more like the difference between a 10-12 win Year 1 team and a 3-6 win Year 1 team.

I agree with not judging CC after just one year coaching, but if the team only wins 3-6 games total in his first year I would find that to be a very disappointing campaign unless half the season was scrapped because of COVID. (If you're talking about wins in conference play that makes more sense, but 10-12 would definitely seem optimistic). The cupboard is somewhat bare right now but the transfer portal should hopefully prevent us from having that poor of a season.

There are currently 5 spots open for next year (counting Amir not returning) so the team will certainly look a lot different a month or two from now. Not too worried about the lack of recruiting news yet as there is a lot of transfer talent still available, but I do hope we hear about the rest of Caputo's staff soon.

Regardless, it does seem like an uphill battle to get out of the PIG with the way things stand currently + the fact that most teams in the league have improved. With Loyola joining, we would have to avoid the bottom 5. It's interesting that the depth on this team is now in the frontcourt. I'm a little surprised Jorge Diaz is visiting when there is a current logjam up front (Harvey, Dean, Brown, West, Samuels) but perhaps CC hasn't wrapped up the player interviews yet and there may be more departures. We definitely need at least two guards (one at the point) and two wings (not surprised we've looked at a number of SFs so far with Ricky gone). Bishop will continue to start but will hopefully still play off the ball. I think Adams proved to be good at handling pressure bringing the ball up, but is probably best served coming off the bench and we need someone to start at PG. We lost three significant players in our rotation so playing time is certainly available.

4/19/2022 7:18 am  #107

Gwmayhem wrote:

If there was clear path to 10-12 wins in 2023-2024 I'd sign up for that. I'd love to say wins don't matter instead how they play does. Sadly, playing better, esp defensively will be a HUGE lift. Even signing an anchor Big or Serious point guard seems like Easter Bunny territory, especially with transferring being so easy. I don't have the vision to see a strategy for gaining traction without some serious luck or shenanigans.

4/19/2022 2:15 pm  #108

From the Hatchet:

“I will develop in a good way, definitely,” Freeman said in an interview Tuesday. “They love basketball there and they love the basketball culture so the basketball environment is constantly developing.”

Freeman said there was no specific reason he left GW but he was looking for coaches he could rely on for his next season. Freeman said he would miss being close to his family and having them attend his games but sees this opportunity as a way to continue developing his game.

“They made me feel like family when I went on my visit and I really liked the campus,” Freeman said.

4/19/2022 6:47 pm  #109

Find it laughable that some posters here are talking about the "class" of the players who are leaving. Perhaps if GW had shown a little more "class" to Coach Christian and given him more than three years just when things were starting to turn, you wouldn't have to worry about the players leaving. You also wouldn't have to worry about how current black players and potential players see the change. The word is out on GW ... all the #BLM written on the court don't fool us. 

4/19/2022 7:08 pm  #110

Stuff like this is laughable.Jarvis?Hobbs?Christian?The real problem is where are the Jews?There are “real “
issues to address for minorities-this isn’t one of them.Until we get a Jewish coach I advise young Jewish men
to move on from GW.I'm a progressive and I find Virginia Ave message disturbing because it's thoughtless and 
gives ammo to the "right".JC was a terrible in game coach.I forgot Coach Joseph!

Last edited by GW69 (4/19/2022 7:38 pm)

4/19/2022 7:28 pm  #111

Verbal Commits@VerbalCommits 
George Washington C Tyler Warner has entered the transfer portal. verbalcommits.com/players/tyler-…

4/19/2022 7:30 pm  #112

Virginia Ave wrote:

Find it laughable that some posters here are talking about the "class" of the players who are leaving. Perhaps if GW had shown a little more "class" to Coach Christian and given him more than three years just when things were starting to turn, you wouldn't have to worry about the players leaving. You also wouldn't have to worry about how current black players and potential players see the change. The word is out on GW ... all the #BLM written on the court don't fool us. 

Are you seriously calling GW bigoted because they fired a black coach with a 3 year record of 29-50, including too many embarassing losses to recount.  Or how about the fact that 3 of the prior 4 coaches were black.    I could not disagree with your statement more.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (4/19/2022 7:34 pm)

4/19/2022 7:36 pm  #113

GW0509 wrote:

George Washington C Tyler Warner has entered the transfer portal. verbalcommits.com/players/tyler-…

Did we have a Tyler Warner on the team?

4/19/2022 7:44 pm  #114

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Did we have a Tyler Warner on the team?

Walk on big. Actually provided us some ok minutes and 2 pts in our road win against URI.

If he can get his college paid for somewhere else more power to him.

4/19/2022 7:51 pm  #115

We probably had Tyler penciled in for 30 minutes a game next season.  

4/19/2022 7:54 pm  #116

Freeman's loss really stings...in a way more than Bamisile,   It is one thing for GW being a minor league team for Oklahoma, but to be a stepping stone for URI?   

4/19/2022 9:50 pm  #117

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

We probably had Tyler penciled in for 30 minutes a game next season.  

I can't tell if you're joking or not but from the limited minutes we saw Warner he did not seem like a 30 mpg type of guy even on a bad team haha. Always looked a little bit lost on the court to me.

4/19/2022 10:00 pm  #118

GW0509 wrote:

From the Hatchet:

“I will develop in a good way, definitely,” Freeman said in an interview Tuesday. “They love basketball there and they love the basketball culture so the basketball environment is constantly developing.”

Freeman said there was no specific reason he left GW but he was looking for coaches he could rely on for his next season. Freeman said he would miss being close to his family and having them attend his games but sees this opportunity as a way to continue developing his game.

“They made me feel like family when I went on my visit and I really liked the campus,” Freeman said.

"Freeman said there was no specific reason he left GW but he was looking for coaches he could rely on for his next season."  I guess that answers the question that was posed in one of the threads asking whether the lack of asst coaches is effecting recruiting. 

4/20/2022 9:16 am  #119

Twice a day I check Verbal Commits to see what talent CC and staff have brought in. So far nothing. We certainly have a ton of PT to offer but I'm not sure what else. I'm pretty confident that Bishop and Adams are exploring their options. Lindo is gone. Nixon is an unknown. Is he eligible? I wish I could see an upside. Time will tell but it sure leaves a bad taste regarding the future of the program.

4/20/2022 10:56 am  #120

Lindo was gone, anyway (which may be a mistake for him giving our open playing time). Supposedly, the word in the JC era was he leaving anyway to turn pro.
Maybe just exploring options, but turns out, he is now in the transfer portal.

Board footera