GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2022 12:16 am  #1

NCAA Tourney Wins by Coach

Tom Penders 12  (including a Sweet 16 run at Rhode Island) 
Mike Jarvis  7 
Jamion Christian 1
Karl Hobbs   1
Mojo   0
Mike Lonergan   0

3/24/2022 6:48 am  #2

Re: NCAA Tourney Wins by Coach

Troll Post Alert

3/24/2022 7:40 am  #3

ML actually has the most wins and a championship at Catholic U. But keep trolling you roach!

3/24/2022 8:34 am  #4

Skittles wrote:

ML actually has the most wins and a championship at Catholic U. But keep trolling you roach!

Skittles, the Dude can't help himself. As someone once said, he never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

3/24/2022 9:15 am  #5

I can not believe we just fired the third most successful coach in GW history.  Sorry, didn't mean to exaggerate.  Tied for third.

3/24/2022 10:38 am  #6

Did all of us somehow miss our NCAA tourney win the past 3 years?
It all does seem like a bad dream since the NIT championship in 2016 and the fan base skews older, but wouldn't at least a few of us would have remembered GW recently playing in the NCAAs?
   Just like we remember the heydays when the young, vigorous, totally scrupulous and heavily involved Penders led GW to a dozen NCAA tourney wins. Made Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan look totally unsuccessful for sure.

3/24/2022 2:07 pm  #7

Another slow day at Kinko's for GW Laws most famous alum you never heard of!

3/24/2022 8:56 pm  #8

Joel Joseph wrote:

Another slow day at Kinko's for GW Laws most famous alum you never heard of!

An even slower day for the Dude's "America's Greatest Coach" who still has more DUIs than National Championships lol

Last edited by GWRising (3/24/2022 9:15 pm)

3/25/2022 12:40 am  #9

Tom Penders, while not ultimately successful at GW, had a heckuva career otherwise, evidenced by 12 NCAA Tourney wins, I believe the record for anyone who Coached at GW.  Did Rinehart win elsewhere?

Penders even helped begin the revival of this Houston program in his post GW days.  Kudos to Sampson on a return to the Elite 8, what a job he's done there.

JC won an NCAA Tourney game in his mid 30s, impressive, he has a bright future ahead, and Mojo with Richmond's success should be in line for a bright future too.

Finally, Karl Hobbs, has also re-positioned himself for future endeavors, what a great job at Rutgers with SP.

3/25/2022 8:40 am  #10

The more important thing is NCAA Tourney wins AT GW, which stands as follows:

Mike Jarvis: 3
Karl Hobbs: 1
Everyone Else: 0

3/25/2022 8:42 am  #11

If only these great feats by Penders and Mojo JC had been done at GW...

Last edited by jf (3/25/2022 8:45 am)

3/25/2022 8:48 am  #12

4 total NCAA wins in GW history....   makes one wonder why some place such high expectations on the next coach-- whoever that may be.

3/25/2022 9:35 am  #13

xAC wrote:

4 total NCAA wins in GW history....   makes one wonder why some place such high expectations on the next coach-- whoever that may be.

I hope I shouldn't take this to mean that we should not have low expectations.  Or even moderate ones.

Anyone who seriously thinks that the next coach has to lead us back to the Sweet 16 to be considered a success is nuts.  But, a difficult but reasonable goal would be to realistically competing for NCAA or NIT berths most years.  This season, 6 A10 schools reached one of these tournaments.  In most seasons, this number is right around 5-7.  There's no reason why we can't get to this level.  

But, we are very far away right now, arguably further back than necessary due to the coaching change.  

3/25/2022 9:44 am  #14

As one of many of us who has followed GW basketball since the late 1960's, I'd say that I approach each season with high "hopes" as opposed to expectations. I agree that if we're to compete in a conference, that we should be "competitive" in that conference, and that we've fallen on particularly hard times. But in my experience, getting to the NCAAs has been more of an aberration, and playing in the A10 makes it even more difficult when you don't win the A10 tournament. So, I'm looking for a coach who can raise my "hopes", but I'm not greedy. 

3/25/2022 9:46 am  #15

Wins, while nice, are not the be all and end all. Just getting to the NCAAs gets us a share of the tournament revenue (something like $600k).

I think playing in the NIT is like $4k per game plus travel.

3/25/2022 1:17 pm  #16

Winning NCAA Tourney games is pretty rare for GW, but playing in them not quite as much. GW has been to the NCAA Tourney 11 times. Two of those were back in the 1950s and 1960s, but the other 9 have been in the last 30 years. All 4 wins were in that timeframe. So over the last 30 years, we've got to the NCAA Tourney every 3 to 4 years and won a game about once a decade. I don't think maintaining that level of success is an unreasonable expectation. As for the NIT, I don't give a crap about it. The championship run was fun, but no one should ever have making the NIT as a goal, imho.

3/25/2022 1:47 pm  #17

DC Native wrote:

Winning NCAA Tourney games is pretty rare for GW, but playing in them not quite as much. GW has been to the NCAA Tourney 11 times. Two of those were back in the 1950s and 1960s, but the other 9 have been in the last 30 years. All 4 wins were in that timeframe. So over the last 30 years, we've got to the NCAA Tourney every 3 to 4 years and won a game about once a decade. I don't think maintaining that level of success is an unreasonable expectation. As for the NIT, I don't give a crap about it. The championship run was fun, but no one should ever have making the NIT as a goal, imho.

If you average, that is true. But averages are misleading. We've been to the NCAA once in the last 14 seasons.  Something has changed and not for the better.

3/25/2022 2:14 pm  #18

Yes, making the NCAA's is preferable to making the NIT.  Nevertheless, reaching the NIT represents the sign of a successful season IMO.  Maybe it's just me but looking back on the past 6 seasons, I would see it as a sign of great progress if this program was strong enough to qualify for the NIT field right about now.  Or, just look at the seasons that SBU, SLU, Dayton and VCU had (or are still having) this past year and let me know if GW having a season comparable to this would not be a nice achievement.

3/25/2022 2:44 pm  #19

Bonnies fans are very happy going to Madison Square Garden.
As we're we in 2016

3/26/2022 7:17 pm  #20

Only one was very successful at GW, but what great careers Jarvis and Penders had. 

Penders in his younger days was an incredible turnaround artist at ever turn

Worth noting, that it was once MUCH more difficult to make the NCAA tourney, much smaller fields.

Board footera