GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/04/2023 9:12 am  #81

Re: Caputo in the Media

In case you thought for a moment that this guy was just happy to land a head coaching job, you should know by now that this isn't Coach Caputo.  I get the sense that he was offered the job and he answered by saying that he would love it but...   Then he proceeded to list all the things that the program needed to do so that he and the school could have long-term success.  And, the school's board has finally listened.

CC is a great spokesman for the program, the school, and for the DMV.  And he seems to know a thing or two about recruiting and coaching as well.  Really impressive guy.

10/10/2023 11:18 am  #82

10/30/2023 2:55 pm  #83

GW just announced that 4 men's games, 5 women's games and the Caputo coach's show will be on Monumental Sports Network which is the rebranded effort that the Leonsis's have undertaken after purchase what was NBC Sports Washington (and Comcast SportsNet before that, and Home Team Sports before that).  To note, Monumental is already making noises that they will be leaving Verizon Fios on Nov. 27th unless a new agreement is reached.  These carrier/network disputes are commonplace; however, what has changed is that Monumental is going direct to consumer for $20/month which is another way of saying "cut the cord" and you may still be able to watch the Wizards, Caps, and whatever else they'll be showing.  Have to imagine that the same problem will exist with Comcast, Cox, RSN, and any other cable provider in the region, once their contracts with Monumental are up for renewal.

The four men's games being shown are all home games (I believe) so I am unlikely to be impacted this season since I'll be attending the games, but what will be interesting to note is if this dispute is long-term, will Monumental's rights, including streaming rights, supersede ESPN+ on games where Monumental has broadcast rights or will the league deal with ESPN+ override this? 

11/15/2023 9:20 am  #84

11/15/2023 4:36 pm  #85

I could not find the Caputo interview

11/15/2023 5:16 pm  #86

11/18/2023 8:30 am  #87

1/18/2024 9:36 am  #88

Gave a listen to The Three Bid League podcast which was both informative and entertaining.  GW has been dubbed "The Cocaine Team" because everything about them provides a rush.  All of the scoring, the fast pace, the close games, etc. 

Fully agree that the advanced metrics hate this team because of all of the games that they should (on paper) have won by 20+ points which ended up going down to the wire.  Nevertheless, a strong endorsement was made for knowing how to win all of these close games.  Not as easy as it looks (see 2016-17 through 2022-23 GW teams).

The hosts agreed that the next two on the road, at UMASS and at Richmond, will likely result in GW being obliterated in one game and narrowly winning the other.  Hard to disagree though who knows which will be which.

I'll just also add that to the extent any of you take a certain poster who constantly lobbies for JB as POY seriously, DaRon Holmes would win the award unanimously if the vote were taken right now.  This is not at all meant as a slight to JB who is also having a great season, but Holmes is the leader of a nationally ranked team and is presently first in the league in scoring (despite playing around 3.5 fewer minutes per game than JB who is second), 3rd in rebounding, 4th in blocked shots and 9th in field goal percentage.  Plus, he should have won last year but the award went to Ace Baldwin instead.

1/18/2024 3:39 pm  #89

1/18/2024 5:14 pm  #90

Thanks for sharing. Just listen to the podcast for the first time. I have added it to my subscriptions now. These guys seem very knowledgeable.

Do you know? Are they specifically affiliated or rooted with any any specific team in the conference?  They spoke about GW as if they were long time fans/followers, but I sense that is not the case.

1/18/2024 6:05 pm  #91

BGF wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Just listen to the podcast for the first time. I have added it to my subscriptions now. These guys seem very knowledgeable.

Do you know? Are they specifically affiliated or rooted with any any specific team in the conference?  They spoke about GW as if they were long time fans/followers, but I sense that is not the case.

I believe they both went to Dayton. One of them is from Pittsburgh so he also has an affinity for Duquesne.

I’ve never gotten the sense they’re particularly homerish.

Last edited by GW0509 (1/18/2024 6:06 pm)

1/18/2024 6:56 pm  #92

1/26/2024 6:39 pm  #93

ABC7 in D.C. did a feature on GW, they interviewed Caputo, Darren Buchanan and Garrett Johnson. You can catch the replay in about 11 minutes (6:50pm eastern) on News Channel 8, If I find a link of it I'll post it here. 

Board footera