GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2022 9:33 am  #1

Let's Get Small?

(Hopefully, there are some 1970's Steve Martin fans out there.)

It's certainly been done before.  Jay Wright's rise to success at Villanova was largely predicated on playing 4 guards at the same time.  La Salle's trip this century to the Sweet 16 also saw them playing small ball for much of the time (though they also had two bigs who played together at times too).  Looking at our roster, these are the guys who I feel confident will effectively contribute based on what they've already accomplished at the college level:

5' 11" EJ  Clark (like Alex Mitola, he did not come for one season to ride the bench)
6' 2" James Bishop
6' 4" Brendan Adams
6' 8" Ricky Lindo Jr.
IF FULLY HEALTHY: 6' 5" Amir Harris (Big if)

I'll also add:

6' 5" Max Edwards (based on limiterd Kenner play and K-State pedigree)

To summarize, this is essentially Ricky (who enjoys rebounding and then bringing the ball across half court himself) and 4 guards no matter how you slice it.

You can make a case that 6' 10" Hunter Dean belongs in this group as well but with a brand new coaching staff in place, I am less confident about Hunter's role than I am the aforementioned players (exception: Amir).  In addition to Dean, there is:

6' 11' Keegan Harvey
6' 10" Noel Brown
6' 9" Qwanzi Samuels
6' 7" Daniel Nixon
6' 8" Jabari West

The obvious hope is that at least one and hopefully more than one from this group becomes the real deal and garners the same level of playing time as an Adams for example.  However, this group, in my mind, has many more unanswered questions at this point.

The questiion becomes this:  if I am correct in my assumption (admittedly being made without complete information) that group 1 is a clear cut above group 2, would you rather see GW go small and play what will look like 4 guards + Lindo (not on occasion but most of the time), or do you feel it's imperative that we add size to the most frequently used lineups even if this means a sacrifice in overall talent?  

By the way, nothing would be more gratifying than to see any of these Group 2 players take a big step forward and become an emerging player on this team.  Maybe Dean, Brown or Samuels takes a giant step forward?  Maybe Harvey, West or Nixon, whose games we are basically unfamiliar with, turn out to be major contributors?  I realize all of these things are possible.  However, my question deals with what if these things do not happen.  Are we better off playing the best talent with a glaring deficiency in size, or better to have more balance (in size) on the court most of the time, even if this means less talent?

8/17/2022 10:29 am  #2

Re: Let's Get Small?

Given that "Colonials" is being put out to pasture, are you suggesting we replace tri-cornered hats with arrows through the head?

8/17/2022 10:35 am  #3

Based on what we have, I would prefer we add size even if it means a sacrifice in overall talent. Not sure if that's a hot take or not. I would not mind a 4 guards + Lindo lineup for stretches (and hope we do see that at times) but I'm just not fully sold on the shooting from the guards to want to see it most of the time. Adams and Harris are bad shooters. Bishop an okay one, but largely hot and cold. I know CC tried his hardest to add shooting to the backcourt and he did a decent job on that front although Max hasn't played a minute in college and EJ wasn't a high usage guy. Hopefully those additions force opponents to get out of a zone. Even though EJ is taking a big step up in competition, I liked the fact that his FT rate was high. Definitely refreshing after watching last year's squad seem afraid to take the ball to the hoop consistently and get to the line.

If we are going to go out and try to get as many wins as possible this year (which feels like the case given we didn't start the rebuild this year) we need Ricky to stay healthy and more importantly need to give him some help in the rebounding department. I'm sure Ricky wants to showcase his offensive game a bit more without having to sell his body on defense/rebounding all the time. That would mean playing another player from group 2, as I get the sense Max is the only real above average rebounder for his size from the guard rotation. Brendan can maybe help out a bit as well.

I hope Edwards and Harvey (maybe Noel as well) get a good number of minutes partly based off the fact that they may have the chance to return beyond next season. I know Keegan is far from a finished product, but I just look and see what Miami/CC did with Sam Waardenburg as a stretch big to create interesting looks on offense and hope to see Keegan do something similar (maybe on a smaller scale initially).

We lose Joe and Brayon and bring in Max and EJ. I think everyone here realizes that a dip in production is inevitable based off that, so where can we make up the difference? Of the main guys returning from last year, it definitely feels like Ricky is the guy who can take a step forward in scoring, but I wouldn't necessarily count out the post guys being more productive because I'm still of the belief they can do more than what they showed last season. Does the guard rotation have more talent? Perhaps, but imagine us actually trying to run plays for our bigs on offense instead of just telling them to screen all the time and watch the guards launch jumper after jumper.

8/17/2022 11:40 am  #4

dmvpiranha wrote:

If we are going to go out and try to get as many wins as possible this year (which feels like the case given we didn't start the rebuild this year) we need Ricky to stay healthy and more importantly need to give him some help in the rebounding department. I'm sure Ricky wants to showcase his offensive game a bit more without having to sell his body on defense/rebounding all the time. 

This is what I was going to highlight as my concern about the small lineup.  Ricky was used more down low last year, sometimes as the only "big," and his offensive game really suffered.  While I trust Ricky more than either Dean, Brown, or Harvey at this point, he really can't be out there on a island going up against the likes of DaRon Holmes.  

8/17/2022 12:32 pm  #5

Ricky was often the only one really scrapping for rebounds. He needs to do that this year, too, but he also needs real help.
However, Amir is a big guard and has the inclination to help rebound down low at times, so that would
help a guard-focused lineup.
    It's an intriguing idea, but until we see what we get from Max and EJ, we're not exactly rich in fully
productive guards, as pointed out above. Qanzi sees himself as a very big guard shooting-wise, but we need him on the boards possibly more.
   While all the big men are not the ones who CC chose, we should be able to get some help out of the combination of those who are not Ricky. Noel and Hunter can be productive at times, and hopefully, at least may make a leap this year under CC. No idea what Jabari and Keegan will bring to the table, but at this point, there certainly is a possibility they could help in some way--or more, if we get really lucky.

8/17/2022 1:32 pm  #6

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Given that "Colonials" is being put out to pasture, are you suggesting we replace tri-cornered hats with arrows through the head?

This post warrants our imaginary "like" button. 

8/17/2022 10:16 pm  #7

I expect we will see a lot more of Daniel Nixon this year. 

8/17/2022 10:36 pm  #8

AT Hiker wrote:

I expect we will see a lot more of Daniel Nixon this year. 

Totally agree. I’d also add freshman Jabari West Jr. to that list of overlooked contributors for the coming year. I’m actually more focused on how the team plays and Caputo’s November signings than the W-L record in his first year.

8/18/2022 7:14 am  #9

One possible exception to this theory: Noel Brown has been playing very well in the Kenner League, scoring 21 points in his last outing. There is no substitute for good size!

8/18/2022 8:57 am  #10

Noel's emergence would be a pleasant surprise.  He did have good size...at Kenner.  When the games count for real, he often goes up against guys right around his size.  Big difference.  One point I brought up earlier is that I saw improvement in the way Noel positioned himself on offense and took the entry pass.  Even the move that followed was also frequently a good one.  He just wasn't finishing nearly as often as he should.  I saw him play three times, maybe I just picked the wrong days.

In my summary, I would take exception to the word "overlooked" when referring to players like Nixon or West.  They are simply unknowns at this point.  I can at least look at an EJ Clark, see what he achieved in college, see what our team needs are, and project that he's going to play quite a bit.  Nixon and/or West may also go on to play quite a bit (and it would be a big + for this team if either or both did), but because there's really nothing to go on for the time being (including no appearnces at Kenner), they made my Group 2 for the time being.

8/19/2022 6:50 am  #11

Big minutes for Adams, which is a big problem.

8/19/2022 9:15 am  #12

Call me I wide eyed optimist, but I am still hopefull that the Brown/Dean duo, with some tweaking of each of their games by a new coach, could be a solid combination down low.   My concern is with their defense, especially their ability to guard faster opponants,   Same with Adams...I see skills there which hopefully the coaching change will bring out.

8/19/2022 10:41 am  #13

I think that Brendan Adams is a pretty solid two-way players whose perception suffers here for a few reasons.  First, he's a former UCONN Huskie who was not given much of an opportunity to flourish.  Now, you can easily say that the reason for this is that there were players in front of him who were deemed to be better players and that's fair.  The one stretch where Brendan performed well was when James Bouknight was lost for about 6 games or so to an injury.  Adams was of course no Bouknight but more than held his own during this stretch.  So, the faulty logic is that if he was good enough to play for UCONN, he ought to dominate in the A10.  Keep in mind though that when you are playing alongside several players who also were recruited, and in many cases, played for major programs, it becomes that much more difficult to become a dominant player.

The other big issue concerns Brendan's three point shooting.  For some unbeknownst reason, GW promoted Brendan's arrival to as a long last three point sniper.  Fine if this were true, but there was nothing in Brendan's past shooting numbers at UCONN to suggest that he would become some kind of three point shooting savior at GW.  Nevertheless, he was very much given the green light early on in the season, and to his credit, became more selective regarding his three point shooting selection as the season progressed.

So if we're willing to overlook the disappointment that he's not the outside shooter that was advertised, there is still plenty to like.  He is a consummate team player with a very high basketball IQ.  He's a good rebounder for his size.  He often makes the right play.  He has enough lateral quickness to defend virtually any wing player.  He keeps his body between his man and the basket as well as anyone on the team.  He drives well, and is also one of those guys who consistently scores based on being at the right place at the right time.  Guys who do this are not relying upon sheer luck; there are usually good reasons why they atre in the right spot at the right time.

Therefore, I think that most of Brendan's skills were brought out last season.  If he can become a reliable perimeter shooter, that would be a huge plus.  Nevertheless, there's still a lot to appreciate about his game.

8/19/2022 12:05 pm  #14

GWMayhem nails it in that Brendan was advertised, not his fault, as being a great shooter on a team that desperately needed one-- and he hasn't been. And his shot selection did greatly improve in the latter part of the season, which made his play more productive.
     Don't know if he's ever going to be a real pure point, which is where we often need him or
have the impact on the game that we are seeking for the future. Or whether he should have major minutes or not, depending on the others.
    But if he continues and improves his shot selection and outside shooting threat, as noted, Brendan can indeed harness his other skills, basketball experience and IQ to help the team in this transitional (and possibly better) year.

8/19/2022 12:38 pm  #15

"For some unbeknownst reason"...the reason is JC sold us a bill of goods (plus, he couldn't coach very well.).

Well, it is not Brandon's fault, he is not that good of a deep threat.  They could advertise me as a deep threat, but you would see me throw up an air ball or two, its not my fault, I just plain old suck.

Gwmayhem wrote:

I think that Brendan Adams is a pretty solid two-way players whose perception suffers here for a few reasons.  First, he's a former UCONN Huskie who was not given much of an opportunity to flourish.  Now, you can easily say that the reason for this is that there were players in front of him who were deemed to be better players and that's fair.  The one stretch where Brendan performed well was when James Bouknight was lost for about 6 games or so to an injury.  Adams was of course no Bouknight but more than held his own during this stretch.  So, the faulty logic is that if he was good enough to play for UCONN, he ought to dominate in the A10.  Keep in mind though that when you are playing alongside several players who also were recruited, and in many cases, played for major programs, it becomes that much more difficult to become a dominant player.

The other big issue concerns Brendan's three point shooting.  For some unbeknownst reason, GW promoted Brendan's arrival to as a long last three point sniper.  Fine if this were true, but there was nothing in Brendan's past shooting numbers at UCONN to suggest that he would become some kind of three point shooting savior at GW.  Nevertheless, he was very much given the green light early on in the season, and to his credit, became more selective regarding his three point shooting selection as the season progressed.

So if we're willing to overlook the disappointment that he's not the outside shooter that was advertised, there is still plenty to like.  He is a consummate team player with a very high basketball IQ.  He's a good rebounder for his size.  He often makes the right play.  He has enough lateral quickness to defend virtually any wing player.  He keeps his body between his man and the basket as well as anyone on the team.  He drives well, and is also one of those guys who consistently scores based on being at the right place at the right time.  Guys who do this are not relying upon sheer luck; there are usually good reasons why they atre in the right spot at the right time.

Therefore, I think that most of Brendan's skills were brought out last season.  If he can become a reliable perimeter shooter, that would be a huge plus.  Nevertheless, there's still a lot to appreciate about his game.

Board footera