GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/30/2022 3:54 pm  #1

Objective 2022-2023 Atlantic Ten power ratings.

Other than ranking Fordham too high at #8, I see nothing wrong with this.

WRGW Sports official
@A10MBB preseason power rankings:
1. SLU
2. Dayton
3. UMass
4. VCU
5. GW
6. URI
7. Loy-Chi
8. Fordham
9. Davidson
10. Richmond
11. SJU
12. BONA
13. Mason
14. Duquesne
15. LaSalle
     Interesting that UMass picked at #3

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (8/30/2022 3:57 pm)

8/30/2022 10:22 pm  #2

Re: Objective 2022-2023 Atlantic Ten power ratings.

I'm glad someone likes the list! There were plenty of non-GW fans on Twitter that found it and had an issue with it

8/31/2022 6:13 am  #3

What is a power ranking and how can we be ranked 5th among 15 teams in any league category after last season?

8/31/2022 8:42 am  #4

What am I missing here?  LSF, are you being sarcastic?

Who would NOT have an issue with 5th place for GW?  Based on what exactly?  Are we sure these rankings are for men's basketball?

8/31/2022 8:47 am  #5

All jokes aside, while I would love for it to happen the talent just simply isn't there to finish that high even if CC gets the most out of this year's team. Switch GW and Mason and I think it's a fairly accurate list. I don't see how GMU can finish remotely that low unless Paulsen is back on the sidelines before conference play comes around. Oduro is a PoY candidate and English has assembled enough talent around him to compete for the 5 spot. Gaines, Cooper, Fernandez, and Dinkins. A slight concern with ball handling but Dinkins seems to be that guy long term. If GW can finish 10th I think Caputo will have exceeded expectations this year. The goal should at least be to host the opening round game. I got us in the 11-12 range finishing above the PA teams and maybe Bonaventure.

Would probably switch Dayton and SLU. Travis Ford has finished between 4th and 6th place in the league the past five seasons so SLU. They are certainly at-large caliber but Ford's teams haven't ever met their potential and cannot see them finishing at the top because of that. Dayton brings everyone back from a borderline at-large team made up of mostly underclassmen. They are a stacked squad.

UMass at #3 is a bold but reasonable take as they have a fairly high ceiling. I would switch them and VCU assuming the Rams are relatively healthy going into the season. The Minutemen are probably a year away as they are a very young squad overall and a lot of new pieces to integrate. Someone has to sit on the bench which will be an interesting decision that Martin has to make. VCU brings in a couple of Michigan transfers along with one of the top freshman classes in the league. The question with VCU has always been offense, and that's where a guy like David Shriver coming from soon to be D3 Hartford helps with his three point shooting.

I like Davidson and Richmond about three spots higher. I think even with Bob McKillop retiring there is just a strong culture there. Loyer provides a veteran presence at guard, Kochera should be a lot better now that he's not on a garbage team and Skogman is solid as well coming from Buffalo. Huffman and Mennenga seem capable of breaking out with more playing time available and Reed Bailey is an all-rookie team candidate.

Richmond red-shirted some guys who will probably play more this year. Mooney seemingly always finds great fits for his Princeton offense. Neal Quinn is moving up a level or so coming from Lafayette, but he is the kind of big the Spiders should be able to play through at the top of the key and Matt Grace had some nice moments late in the season. A slight concern at the point unless Jason Nelson is fully ready to take the reigns. Bigelow and Roche were solid fits as guys that can stroke it from deep. Roche is going to have to learn defense though since he's coming from The Citadel.

I don't actually love Rhode Island this year, but think they can make a big jump under Miller in year 2. Their bigs are actually not that strong of a group. Tchikou has potential but has struggled to stay healthy. I think Bray may be the best player on the team. Ishmael Leggett took a step back last year but I still like his game a lot as well. Upside comes from Harris/Weston but it's not enough for the first year. I might have them closer to 10th.

I don't know what to make of Loyola honestly. They got some solid transfers from mid-major land this offseason but losing a guy like Lucas Williamson (along with the rest of their senior class) is tough to recover from. Davidson proved that a new team can win the league immediately but I'm not seeing it from this Rambler squad at least immediately but long term they are a strong addition to the league. I think middle of the league is probably fair.

Fordham is indeed in fact a tad high but their ceiling is a bit higher than I'm sure most people expect even with losing Neptune to Villanova. Quisenberry is back, Khalid Moore has some upside returning home after a stint at Georgia Tech, and I think Kyle Rose took a big step forward with Neubauer no longer coach. Amazing what running an actual offensive system can do for a player's game. Really it's just the incoming freshmen class that gives Fordham some potential. They are bringing in legitimately one of the best incoming classes in the league and I'm not quite sure how they pulled it off. I think 8th is a possibility, but losing Neptune probably hurts a tad.

St. Joe's, St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, and La Salle are probably towards the bottom of the league. Brayon isn't the only inter-league transfer as the Hawks bring in Lynn Greer from Dayton along with a 3-star freshman in Christian Winborne from Baltimore. Pairing those two with Erik Reynolds is a solid guard trio, but I thought Lange was a bad hire at the beginning and still think that's the case. I could see St. Joe's finishing dead last with Hall and Funk gone.

St. Bonaventure is losing too much, but Schmidt is a good coach so I think they definitely avoid the absolute bottom of the league. They bring in a lot of low-major guys but guys who were productive at their last stop. Now might be the time for the Bonnies to actually play more guys so they don't have another mass exodus next season.

I actually do find myself liking the guys Dambrot is bringing in to Duquesne, but I just didn't like the isolation ball offense they ran last year. Tevin Brewer (Florida International) and Dae Dae Grant (Miami OH) likely play the Spears/Johnson role on the team this year. Devin Carney is a freshman whose game I do like. Matúš Hronsky can stretch the floor as well, but the Dukes need Easley and Williams to play a lot better than they did last year otherwise they aren't finishing above bottom 3.

There is a bit of intrigue on this La Salle roster. I cannot believe I'm saying that. I don't think they get out of the bottom 4 in the A10, but I think Dunphy can get more out of the guys currently on the roster. Brickus and Brantley have shown flashes, and I think Ashley Howard held them back a bit. Josh Nickelberry improved a lot as a player from his days at Louisville but had an issue with disappearing in games, especially down the stretch of last season. The Drame twins add some defense from the St. Peter's Peacocks and they also bring in some international guys. La Salle finishing at the bottom has less to do with Dunphy and more to do with the fact that it's the toughest job in the league. Fordham may have overtaken them in the past few years.

8/31/2022 9:47 am  #6

Gwmayhem wrote:

What am I missing here?  LSF, are you being sarcastic?

Who would NOT have an issue with 5th place for GW?  Based on what exactly?  Are we sure these rankings are for men's basketball?

I had thought that maybe  they were the women's ratings, but it said MBB.   There was a bit of sarcasm in my posting this, given the source of the poll, but I thought it was a feel good piece, and I also wish to demonstrate some actual substantive  discussion about the upcoming season which is barely two months off.   Although I am generally a doom and gloom, glass half empty person during the seaosn, I am the eternal optimist in the off season (which of course ends with our first lost to the likes of UMBC).   But I think there is legitimate cause for optimism, beginning with our improved conference play last season.   Yes, we collapsed at the end of the season and were spanked regularly by the better teams, but we were beating the lower half of the conference (something we could not say during the prior years) and finished 7th overall.  This year, again wearing rose colored glasses, I can see us with substantial improvement, even with the loss of arguaby 2 of our top 3 players, who were also arguably 2 of the top 25 players in the conference.  Starting with the coaching change, which I am hoping will lead to better pregame and in game coaching.   I am hoping that this will lead to significant improvements in players such as Bishop (who I am hoping will become more of a better all around player and less of a scorer), the growth and maturity of both Brown and Hunter Dean, now both juniors), better use of talented but somewhat eratic Brendan Adams, and even Samuels.   I am also hopeful that we do have some real talent coming in, in particular Edwards (even putting aside his Kenner League play, he was a power conference recruit); Jabari West and 6'11" Keegan Harvey.  Then there is also the return of a very good player, Ricky Lindo.  And maybe we will get to see what Nixon can do.   In other words, between the new coaching staff and the roster additions, the tools MAY (emphasis added) it may be there to make a leap this season.

8/31/2022 10:31 am  #7

I would love to be an optimist. But please, I need an explanation of how the additions to the roster or improvements by returnees are better than the subtractions of Freeman and Bamissle. Hope springs external, but.... Maybe we need to lower our expectations and change the trajectory by not losing to the likes of UMass-Lowell, UCSan Diego, Cal State Fullerton Hampton, UMBC etc.

8/31/2022 4:11 pm  #8

GW73 wrote:

I would love to be an optimist. But please, I need an explanation of how the additions to the roster or improvements by returnees are better than the subtractions of Freeman and Bamissle. Hope springs external, but.... Maybe we need to lower our expectations and change the trajectory by not losing to the likes of UMass-Lowell, UCSan Diego, Cal State Fullerton Hampton, UMBC etc.

Exactly. My goal for this season is no losses to teams with a KenPom of 200+.

8/31/2022 8:50 pm  #9

I cannot eally quantify it, but I can't help feeling that we are underestimating the talent that is on the team, as well as the impact of a new coach.  

8/31/2022 9:29 pm  #10

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I cannot eally quantify it, but I can't help feeling that we are underestimating the talent that is on the team, as well as the impact of a new coach.  

8/31/2022 10:07 pm  #11

GW0509 wrote:

Please let me be happy in my delusions for the next 2 months.

9/01/2022 11:00 am  #12

1) Good potential points by LSF.
Any GW fan should be delusional before the season. Now, once the season starts, disillusion
usually sets in, possibly followed by delirium.
2) It's not entirely the talent level, though for all we know Max may be very helpful, EJ Clark could contribute,
Jabari may be a player at our level, and Daniel Nixon might be able to surface this year, etc. But it's also how the talent is put together--and playing defense. Adjusting to our talent was not a strength in recent years.
   Am pretty concerned about the frenetic UMass and RI recruiting, Dayton having a huge freshman class maturing, the Bonnies, etc. But outside of some indication at Kenner for us, you never know how even good
talent will turn out at the A-10 (or even D1) level. And good talent without a team meshing on the court is to put it mildly, likely less effective.
   ML deliberately sought to cover the team's weaknesses, as well as use its strengths. So if CC does the
same, that's a start, along with getting some good recruiting classes going.
  In any case, it's only Sept. 1, and we are undefeated in the 2022-23 season.

9/01/2022 11:59 am  #13

GW0509 wrote:

Please let me be happy in my delusions for the next 2 months.

It wasn't a dig at your delusions at all LSF. Gentle Ben was proven right back in '99! 

9/01/2022 5:56 pm  #14

GW ranked #5 in the A-10 poll is like Trump being ranked #3 in the All Time Great US Presidents Poll!

9/01/2022 10:53 pm  #15

9/02/2022 5:39 pm  #16

It will be a mighty team.
We might see what Nixon can do.
CC might have a great opening campaign.
Adams might shoot better than 30% from 3.
Lindo might show us some hustle.
We might be OK without our top 2 returning scorers beyond Bishop.
Those Mighty Mighty Hippos.

9/02/2022 5:51 pm  #17

Mike King's Shoulder wrote:

Mighty Mighty Hippos.

🎵Have you ever had the odds stacked up so high
You need a strength most don't possess?
Or has it ever come down to do or die?
You've got to rise above the rest🎵

Board footera