GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2023 12:19 am  #221

Re: Other Games Thread

The GW Trio of Rutgers won a Big 10 game tonight 90-53.
What the 3 guys from GW are doing in New Jersey is nothing short of remarkable, and doing it in the loaded Big 10

Rutgers is in 2nd place in The Big 10  #14 team in the country in KenPom 

2/04/2023 7:05 pm  #222

Rutgers takes down  Michigan St at The Garden!

The GW troika do it again

2/04/2023 10:15 pm  #223

You guys mentioning Lonergan and Patsos sitting together at a recent Maryland home game reminded me that Patsos and Lonergan are close friends, I wonder if there was any issue between them when Patsos joined GW's media team? 

The Dude,  this Rutgers team could actually be as high as a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament which gives them a decent chance to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. It also looks like Rutgers is now signing and competing for 5-star recruits. They signed a guy for next season (Gavin Griffiths) who could be their highest rated recruit in school history and they are in the running for 1 or 2 top 15 guys in the 2024 class. I agree with you on Duke, they probably should have gone for the big name instead of an assistant with little experience like Scheyer. Hubert Davis is also having problems at North Carolina. I assume UNC can make a deep run regardless of seeding because of the talent level, but underachieving during the regular season for 2 straight years is not a good sign

Maryland is pounding Minnesota/Battle right now on the Big 10 Network, Maryland leads 55-24 early in the 2nd half. Minnesota is 1-10 in Big 10 play

2/04/2023 11:34 pm  #224

Agreed, what do you make of the what's happened to the ACC in general?  

2/05/2023 11:24 am  #225

Pepperdine ended an 11 game losing streak yesterday (their last win was against us in Hawaii) in one of the strangest ways possible. I believe the same thing happened at the end of the New Mexico-Nevada game a couple weeks back. More teams apparently need to prepare for when they are trapped after securing a rebound. Can't bank on the refs calling a foul on the defender. Once the offensive player starts swinging his arms a flagrant will likely be called. If the team doesn't have a timeout, another player has to help out and give the player an outlet to get the ball out.

2/05/2023 2:33 pm  #226

11 points, 1 rebound, 1 block and 1 steal and of course no assists for Joe Bamisile on Saturday in 19 minutes of presumably garbage time as 2-8 (in the Big 12) Oklahoma loses by 32 to the 3-7 West Virginia Mountaineers.   How is that transfer working out for you Joe?  

2/05/2023 2:39 pm  #227

dmvpiranha wrote:

Pepperdine ended an 11 game losing streak yesterday (their last win was against us in Hawaii) in one of the strangest ways possible. I believe the same thing happened at the end of the New Mexico-Nevada game a couple weeks back. More teams apparently need to prepare for when they are trapped after securing a rebound. Can't bank on the refs calling a foul on the defender. Once the offensive player starts swinging his arms a flagrant will likely be called. If the team doesn't have a timeout, another player has to help out and give the player an outlet to get the ball out.

Absolutely incredible finish.  And thanks for the reminder that Pepperdine's last win was against GW.in Hawaii, roughly 6 weeks ago.

2/06/2023 7:41 pm  #228

19th ranked Miami is blowing Duke out of the building in this first half

Elite 8 last year, great year this year, for a Miami roster CC had a lot to do with

A legit pasting of Duke by Miami.    81-59 Miami beats Duke

Last edited by The Dude (2/06/2023 10:25 pm)

2/07/2023 7:40 pm  #229

UCONN shredding Marquette  46-27

2/08/2023 12:52 am  #230

Wire to wire blowout win for UCONN over Marquette,  UCONN #6 KenPom team in the nation

Triple double for Newton, rare air in college these days, how many triple doubles have there been this year??

2/08/2023 9:34 am  #231

Pretty stunning win for UCONN, recent losers of 5 out of 6 and 6 out of 8.  Included in this stretch was an away loss to Marquette.  Shaka's team had won 9 out of 10 before last night's loss.  With this win, UCONN (7-6 in the Big East) pulls to within 4 games of Marquette (11-2 in the BE).  Imagine how good Marquette would be if Shaka knew how to coach.  LOL.

2/09/2023 1:58 am  #232

Fordham won again they are 19-5

Vandy took down Tennessee, they had been #2 in KenPom, now #5 1 spot ahead of UCONN 

2/10/2023 8:48 am  #233

Oklahoma played #14 Baylor very close for most of the game. Joe Bamisile played 18 minutes and recorded 10 points, 2 assists, 7 rebounds (led the team), and 1 block.

2/11/2023 4:19 pm  #234

Sounds like the school down the road is having some issues of their own:

https://twitter.com/CasualHoya/status/1624474172872134656

2/12/2023 12:50 am  #235

Duke lost again.
As did Kentucky to Georgia, and Arizona to Stanford, Wisconsin to Nebraska.  
Kentucky hanging on to the bubble, Duke heading there, Wisconsin looks off of it.

How about Nate Oats? What a job at Buffalo and now Alabama 

Fordham won at Davidson.  Fordham is 20-5

Last edited by The Dude (2/12/2023 3:10 am)

2/13/2023 12:54 pm  #236

2/13/2023 1:04 pm  #237

Not feeling so bad now about losing Freeman in the off season.  Add my wow also.  Wonder how that effects his eligibility for next season, specifically if he voluntarily transferred a second time he would have to sit for a year.  Is that also the case if you have been thrown off of the team?  I had no idea when he was on GW that there were so many issues surrounding Brayon.  It appears that Christian may have been willing to tolerate a lot more than Miller.  The hypothetical I would propose is that if he was willing to return to GW, would we still want him here?   I would think not.  He is a very talented point guard who appears to also be a cancer. 

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (2/13/2023 1:13 pm)

2/13/2023 1:27 pm  #238

If I'm not mistaken he's been on 6 different teams with 6 different HCs in 6 years, right?

2/13/2023 1:50 pm  #239

I watched URI for the first time this season a couple weeks back and wasn't impressed by the offense Miller was running. While I thought they were overrated coming into the year, there was enough talent to be somewhat efficient offensively but they've looked like a mess. It's only year 1 so a bigger sample size is needed to see what the offense looks like with Miller's guys in the system but it appeared Bray not only regressed (though he was a bit better on D) but just did not fit URI's offense at all. Freeman has always been more of a "scoring PG" but I saw just him and Leggett (who I still wish we landed out of HS) taking turns hoisting shots. I was someone who thought the loss of Freeman was bigger than Bamisile, but I think this confirms that he was better served as a #3 option than a #1 or even #2. Didn't URI also have that UNC transfer who ended up being ineligible to play this year?

On top of all that, Miller/Freeman never seemed to be on the same page. It takes a certain coach to rein Bray in and use his talent for the betterment of the team. Still thought it was weird when he posted that IG story that said something along the lines of "GW fans know who the real #2 is". Almost felt like he hadn't moved on but most GW fans had.

Talent is a double-edged sword. We may have less depth this year, but I've never had the opinion that guys on this year's team were never on the same page. Team chemistry seems to be better in some ways with Bamisile/Freeman not looking for their shots. I think that will be something to watch next year with Jacoi/Trey/Christian coming in along with some additional guards I assume. More depth solves some problems but creates others.

MG14 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken he's been on 6 different teams with 6 different HCs in 6 years, right?

It's true, but there's a little bit of an explanation at least with the last two high schools he was at. Can't blame him for wanting to play a national schedule and be the starting PG on a talented Huntington Prep team. He ended up at NCA his senior year partly because HP shut down the following season due to COVID if I remember correctly.

This is unrelated to the Bray news, but Portland State-Northern Arizona from a couple days ago had one of the most outrageous endings that I've seen in a while:

2/13/2023 2:00 pm  #240

Good find by MG14 on what at least seems like a sad basketball journey in search of something that doesn't ever materialize.
   No on wanting him here again from a loyalty standpoint and other factors.
Still on the Rhode Island roster, but his Twitter, if it is correct, has a goodbye to Rhode Island.
Reserving judgment slightly until the whole story emerges/is confirmed, but it doesn't sound great.
    What were the issues?
Had an idea about him, based on his team-hopping, which may also be partially a system thing.
  Archie Miller has some experience as a coach, including handling egos at a higher level than the A-10.
Statwise, Freeman seemed like a real contributor a coach wouldn't want to lose (but we know a bit about that and winning).
  And Rhode Island traditionally hasn't been let's say, a paragon of virtuous standard, so this dismissal, if
correct, is quite intriguing.

Board footera