GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/04/2022 1:20 pm  #1

How bad would we crush GU this year?

SC 80, GU 67 -- OT

No wonder GU wants nothing to do with us. We'd absolutely mop the floor with them this year. Now, to be fair, 90% of D-1 teams could mop the floor with Gtown this year, but the school down the street would tee off the most.

F GU

12/04/2022 1:31 pm  #2

Re: How bad would we crush GU this year?

I would run up the score on them, just to spite them for being too chickenshit to schedule us for all those years.
They suck the big one, a thought that brings me nothing but joy.

12/04/2022 1:56 pm  #3

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

I would run up the score on them, just to spite them for being too chickenshit to schedule us for all those years.
They suck the big one, a thought that brings me nothing but joy.

Could not have said it better.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (12/04/2022 3:32 pm)

12/04/2022 1:59 pm  #4

The best part is GU is on the hook for the full $11.25 million buyout if they fire Ewing.

Last edited by GW0509 (12/04/2022 9:52 pm)

12/04/2022 5:17 pm  #5

GU is ranked 226 out of 363 teams in the D-1 RPI

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/rankings/rpi/

Somehow we're three points behind them :/

12/04/2022 5:21 pm  #6

Even worse, in Kempom, Gtown is 155. We're 195. :/

https://kenpom.com/

12/04/2022 6:37 pm  #7

So many excellent sentiments expressed in this thread.

12/05/2022 3:56 pm  #8

A few here are showing the GW inferiority complex.
In the real world, Georgetown beats GW in every category you can think of. In many categories (like academic ratings in every rating service that exists), GW is not even in the same universe. In the ones dealing with hoops (Kenpom, RPI, Sagarin, etc) GTown beats us in everyone despite their terrible team and start this year. Endowment, same. All sports, same.

Get over the fact you didn't get into GTown and lets hope we beat the teams on our schedule, starting with AU this weekend.

12/05/2022 5:08 pm  #9

Joel Joseph wrote:

In the real world, Georgetown beats GW in every category you can think of. In many categories (like academic ratings in every rating service that exists), GW is not even in the same universe. In the ones dealing with hoops (Kenpom, RPI, Sagarin, etc) GTown beats us in everyone despite their terrible team and start this year. Endowment, same. All sports, same.

Get over the fact you didn't get into GTown and lets hope we beat the teams on our schedule, starting with AU this weekend.

Too bad GW cut the sports that we owned Georgetown in
squash, sailing and men's rowing

12/05/2022 6:00 pm  #10

Joel Joseph wrote:

Given all the built-in advantage Georgetown has as a program as a result of the JT national championship and of course the league they play in, you would think they would be a much stronger program. But like a lot of things, their hubris has finally caught up with them. Several more years of this and they might be begging to get into the MAAC lol.

I didn't go to GW undergrad and I can argue I went to as good a school as Georgetown. That said, since arriving in the DC area, I've been way more impressed with GW graduates than Georgetown graduates. I once worked for Georgetown lawyer when I was in law school who claimed he finished in the top 10% of his class but literally was clueless. Not so sure I would easily cede any kind of advantage to Georgetown other than perhaps a reputation that may exceed the reality. 

12/05/2022 7:23 pm  #11

Joel Joseph wrote:

The thread is about MBB for this year, so any mention of academics, endowment and other sports is irrelevant to the current discussion (although history has shown that Georgetown vs GW is a tossup in most sports when the two teams have faced off).

Not sure why RPI is still being discussed as something that still matters when the NET rankings take a look at the same metrics plus additional ones. In the first NET rankings release this year, GW is currently 41 spots ahead of Georgetown.

Using KenPom to compare teams isn't 100% accurate, especially prior to conference play given there is a considerable weight on historical performance (in addition to Georgetown playing in a conference higher than GW). Bart Torvik has a feature that allows you to do a comparison based on team performance alone since the season started. Using that, GW is actually just ahead of Georgetown in those ratings.

As someone who has never really cared about who is better between Georgetown and GW the fact that there is evidence to suggest GW has a very good chance to beat Georgetown shows how far the Hoya program has fallen. It will likely remain that way as long as Ewing remains coach. The Hoyas have had four games this season where they have been outscored by more than 10 points in the second half which suggests poor coaching. That's nearly half the games they've played so far! Last year I was willing to say Georgetown didn't have the talent they usually have to compete, but there isn't an excuse for that this year.

Also, the fact that Georgetown refuses to play GW shows that they are the ones that have the superiority complex, not the other way around. I guess GW will continue to hold the 31-24 advantage in the series until that changes.

12/05/2022 7:26 pm  #12

Georgetown is literally giving tickets away.  Even at our lowest we had the self respect to charge for attendance.

@GeorgetownHoyas  
All D.C. residents can attend the @GeorgetownHoops game this Wednesday for free! Just show your ID at the box office. Hoyas vs. Siena Wed., Dec. 7 | 6:30pm #HoyaSaxa

Last edited by GW0509 (12/05/2022 7:38 pm)

12/05/2022 7:29 pm  #13

GW0509 wrote:

The best part is GU is on the hook for the full $11.25 million buyout if they fire Ewing.

They need to offer him $1M per year for the next 15 years and be done with him. President of the Georgetown University should also be fired for giving him the extension

Last edited by Basketball Jones (12/05/2022 7:33 pm)

12/06/2022 6:35 pm  #14

GW0509 wrote:

Georgetown is literally giving tickets away.  Even at our lowest we had the self respect to charge for attendance.

@GeorgetownHoyas  
All D.C. residents can attend the @GeorgetownHoops game this Wednesday for free! Just show your ID at the box office. Hoyas vs. Siena Wed., Dec. 7 | 6:30pm #HoyaSaxa

Georgetown had to do something because most of their home games this year appeared to have literally hundreds in attendance!! It's bad enough that Georgetown is playing terribly this year but playing in front of an empty MCI-Verizon-Capital Centre (where you can clearly hear Patrick Ewing yell MOVE and other instructions to his team since there is no crowd noise) just adds insult to injury! Tomorrow night's game against Siena will be on one of the Fox Sports channels too, I'm interested to see whether they see a spike in attendance. 

12/06/2022 7:41 pm  #15

Free admission? Rest assured that even with a "come one, come all" ticketing policy that my butt will be firmly seated somewhere other than their home game. That said, I will be cheering with all my heart for Siena (maybe the refs will have big breasts making it even more hellish for the home team).Perhaps this season financially bankrupts That School Down the Street so much that they (again) need to auction off slaves to stay afloat..

12/08/2022 9:03 am  #16

GW0509 wrote:

@GeorgetownHoyas  

Georgetown has been giving free tix away for the last 3 years
Their OOC schedule is so weak that most people dont see any value in paying for those games

Season Opener was open to anyone for free
other games are free for teachers, student, first responders, youth coaches, etc 

12/08/2022 10:02 am  #17

If I were a Hoya fan, I'd be going insane right about now.  They can't seem to win practically any game against a decent opponent, and they seem to struggle while often eeking out wins against the subpar ones.  While I understood the JT III and Ewing hirings at the time, it's time for them to start all over with a good coach without any prior ties to the university.  Whether the problem is coaching or motivating or recruiting, or all the above, there has been more than enough evidence to support making this change.  I'd like to think that if Gtown hadn't won the BE tournament a few years ago (out of nowhere), those in charge would have been intelligent enough to have already made the change.  Those few wins have only prolonged their agony.

Let's ask this question two ways, pertaining to your own personal feelings towards their program:

1) If Gtown agreed to play a home and home series, let's say 6 games with each team playing on their home court 3 times, would your ire towards them diminish in any way?

2) Same question but Gtown pulls rank a bit, agreeing to a 2 for 1 series (4 at Gtown, 2 at Smith Center)?

12/08/2022 10:27 am  #18

I think it’s over for Georgetown and they are destined to be a Big East bottom feeder for the foreseeable future.  It’s been a long time since they were relevant and other than the tradition, there is little to offer recruits compared to other big east schools.  The game atmosphere at the cap center is by far the worst in the Big East and I believe their facilities are subpar for the conference.  It’s a great academic school, but that’s not how they’ve ever recruited.

I just don’t know why a recruit would choose it unless they really want to go to Georgetown for its academics. 

Maybe if they catch lightning in a bottle with their next coach, like they did with the big chicken, but otherwise it’s hard to see them turning it around any time soon.

12/08/2022 10:49 am  #19

It seems like they have a million problems right now with very limited answers to basically all of them. I just don't see how playing games at Capital One Arena is sustainable. I understand the alternative is playing games at McDonough on campus but if they did that at least they would fill the stands. Ultimately I think they need to build an on campus arena but I have no idea whether there's space, desire or money for that within the Georgetown community.

And I think it goes without saying that they need to fire Ewing if they want to have any chance of turning it around any time soon (FWIW I'm enjoying watching them bottom out and I hope they go winless in the Big East again).

Someone posed the question of whether GW should do a home and home or a 2 for 1 with them. I would honestly be fine with a 2 for 1 with two games at Capital One Arena and one at the Smith Center. The game at GW would get a huge crowd (I know students would show up for sure) and I even think there would be a great GW turnout at Capital One Arena considering it is closer to GW than Georgetown is. Caputo discussed playing Georgetown in a WRGW interview he did a while ago (I'm pretty sure it's this one: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7sbvR6gqK81GGvHxcpQIuZ?si=b150444efe764c2b) and seemed intrigued by the idea but it doesn't seem like it will happen any time soon barring any big changes.

12/08/2022 11:27 am  #20

I think a better question is, since Abe Pollin´s Palace is too big/empty and their Kenner League gym is too rinky-dink, should GW rent them the Smith Center to play at? (So long as all the livery remains branded GW, I´d say "sure!" on nights when GW is not using the facility, so long as the hot water heater is broken on those nights).

Board footera