GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/02/2023 12:07 pm  #301

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal Szn

When they take him to the Capital One Arena and put his name in lights in an empty arena, he'll see the same amount of fans as he will during the season.

5/03/2023 11:06 am  #302

It may not be exactly what we all hope but we should have at least one post (possibly two) by end of next week. Fingers crossed.

Also interesting to note that the transfer portal cut-off is coming. There will likely be a few new names in the mix by next week. So if we swing and miss here or there, there might be a plan B. But hoping that the hard work of the staff results in dividends soon.

5/03/2023 11:07 am  #303

Just to elaborate there are multiple posts that we are in the mix for - some mentioned here and some not.

5/03/2023 11:18 am  #304

Thanks for the update and keep the news flowing.....

5/03/2023 12:40 pm  #305

Rising -- You mentioned in another thread:
"Plus staff may be working on a sleeper pick-up from a lower division (as in All-American) - we see about that one. "

Could it possibly be Miles Mallory from Randolph-Macon?  He's a D3 All America first teamer and is a local kid from Beltsville, MD (played at St. Vincent Pallotti).

Looks like he averages 18 points
 and 11 Reb per 40.  Would have 1 year of eligibility remaining. Only knock I see is he's a little bit on the short side for a 4 at 6'6".  

Miles Mallory - Randolph-Macon (rmcathletics.com)

5/03/2023 12:50 pm  #306

GW0509 wrote:

Rising -- You mentioned in another thread:
"Plus staff may be working on a sleeper pick-up from a lower division (as in All-American) - we see about that one. "

Could it possibly be Miles Mallory from Randolph-Macon?  He's a D3 All America first teamer and is a local kid from Beltsville, MD (played at St. Vincent Pallotti).

Looks like he averages 18 points
 and 11 Reb per 40.  Would have 1 year of eligibility remaining. Only knock I see is he's a little bit on the short side for a 4 at 6'6".  

Miles Mallory - Randolph-Macon (rmcathletics.com)

Not that I know of - it's a guard that I am talking about.

5/03/2023 12:54 pm  #307

Transfer deadline is May 11.

5/03/2023 12:59 pm  #308

This would be sweet….though I see the likes of Kentucky are eyeing him

https://247sports.com/Article/college-basketball-transfer-portal-North-Dakota-State-Grant-Nelson--209335064/

5/03/2023 1:30 pm  #309

Imagine we can do one more guard with great promise, but like everyone else, including the staff which seems to have an excellent eye for talent, would rather have a trio of big men to replace Dean, Brown and Lindo. Yes, that's an obvious observation, but worth being concerned about until it happens. Especially until we have some more promising new players to talk about.
   Seems like it would also be obvious to any big men transferring that great playing time is available here under a coach that has sent numerous players to the NBA and no doubt many more to professional basketball careers.

5/03/2023 2:07 pm  #310

jf wrote:

Imagine we can do one more guard with great promise, but like everyone else, including the staff which seems to have an excellent eye for talent, would rather have a trio of big men to replace Dean, Brown and Lindo. Yes, that's an obvious observation, but worth being concerned about until it happens. Especially until we have some more promising new players to talk about.
   Seems like it would also be obvious to any big men transferring that great playing time is available here under a coach that has sent numerous players to the NBA and no doubt many more to professional basketball careers.

If I had to predict, I don't think the guard would be one with "great promise" but instead one like the role EJ Clark was supposed to fill.  Or another comp would be like an Alex Mitola. 

Co-sign everything else.  Need to have some bodies in the paint this season that aren't foul machines like Dean and Brown.

5/03/2023 3:05 pm  #311

The deadline is to enter, not to make a decision, correct? Can players withdraw after the deadline?

5/03/2023 3:28 pm  #312

gwstudent2024 wrote:

The deadline is to enter, not to make a decision, correct? Can players withdraw after the deadline?

Correct

5/03/2023 3:33 pm  #313

5/03/2023 4:25 pm  #314

5/03/2023 6:05 pm  #315

Fingers crossed on Foster.

One name that’s stayed really quiet is Favour Aire from Miami. He played high school ball up here and is followed by Caputo, Franklin, and DBJ on Twitter.

Played on New World AAU. I don’t think we have any New World guys on the team though.

5/03/2023 9:57 pm  #316

Did Foster even visit GW? People are saying he's picking Illinois State.

If CC is planning on replicating the Miami four guard-one big system next year, I'm less worried about the number of bigs on the roster. Obviously we'll need to sign a couple forwards and I'm expecting at least one will at least be somewhat of a proven commodity. We lose a lot of rebounding from Ricky and Hunter but I think we'll find a way. I was definitely surprised by Max's rebounding this year.

I'm more interested in who we pursue in the backcourt next to Bishop. There is without a doubt a heck of a lot more versatility on this roster with guys who can play many positions compared to last year already (which will definitely upgrade the defense) but Max is the only somewhat proven commodity shooting the 3. One of the unproven commodities will hopefully emerge (Trey's stroke translates, and if Christian can put on a bit more strength I think he has a nice shot as well) but I don't think CC will go into the year without another proven shooter especially if we're going to be playing so many guards at once.

Something I've been noticing the past week or so is that the good shooters are coming off the board quickly regardless of their scoring output compared to players that put up big numbers on subpar efficiency. We don't need a big scorer at that spot (especially with Bishop returning) but a good shooter would be ideal - like our version of Calcaterra.

5/04/2023 7:45 am  #317

Size matters! Maybe Villanova can pull off that 4-guard stuff but we can't. It would appear to me that starting 4 guards would be an admission that we can't bring in big men-- admittedly a historical problem for GW.

5/04/2023 10:25 am  #318

Foster just tweeted "Friday" so I guess we'll find out tomorrow!

5/04/2023 10:26 am  #319

Kentucky forward Lance Ware in the portal.  From Camden NJ.  Avg 10mpg in three years.  Miami was in his final five.

https://twitter.com/lanceware55/status/1158120577229611008?s=20

5/04/2023 11:06 pm  #320

Board footera