GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2023 1:55 pm  #341

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal Szn

keithgreene wrote:

GWAlum2001 wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

As a parent/family member giving advice to a student athlete:
1. Georgetown, with it's outstanding academics, alumni base, job opportunities once bball is over, location, conference, coach (Cooley), etc.

or

2. GW - only thing that can match is location. All other factors fail to match up.

Not a difficult decision.

While your point is relevant, for a 1 year rental I don't think this matters as much.  Keithgreene has it right, Georgetown cut a bigger check for his services.

Let's give Cooley some credit for out-recruiting CC.  I wonder how Maximus feels about this.

They were seen hanging out the day after Massoud’s visit to Georgetown

5/05/2023 2:05 pm  #342

Well, he'll blossom over there, or he'll be Joe Bamisile. We'll see, but don't particularly care unless we play him. Can clearly shoot the 3, but we need rebounders and his 1.7 average last year doesn't inspire confidence along those lines. Since we need someone who can hit the boards 9or grab rebounds any way they can), we may do better
 For a big man, especially, feel there's a lot more opportunity to shine here--and that can be worth more to any potential grad transfer or rental than $40,000 if they want a professional career somewhere.
See Tyler Cavanaugh who came from Wake Forest and went to the NBA and Euroleague.
  Or James Bishop from LSU to GW greatness. Or Brendan Adams from UConn to GW stardom his senior year. Or Max Edwards from never appearing at K-State to rookie greatness at GW.
   Or consider the cautionary tale of Mr. Bamisile, whose big role at GW was sandwiched in between bench ones at Virginia Tech and Oklahoma. Only to come back to the A-10, where he has the possibility to star again.

5/05/2023 2:19 pm  #343

dmvpiranha wrote:

One guy I don't think has been mentioned here is Steve Settle from Howard. He tweeted yesterday that his recruitment is still open and I think three years of D1 experience can translate up to the A10. Settle had a 15-5-5 stat line against us last year, scored 13 against Kansas in the NCAA tournament, and also did well against other A10 teams (10 against La Salle, 18 against VCU). He's a little skinny and doesn't have a consistent three point shot yet, but he's local and has averaged double figures all three years of college (to go with 6 boards last season). Howard wasn't outright terrible either as they finished right below GW in KenPom.

The Portal Report @ThePortalReport 3m
Howard (D1) transfer Steve Settle III told @ThePortalReport that he will commit "sometime within the next week."
Settle has visited George Washington and Towson and has a visit to Temple scheduled for next Wednesday, May 10.

5/05/2023 2:26 pm  #344

Maybe Settle is the guard Rising was referring to.  

5/05/2023 2:35 pm  #345

Joel Joseph wrote:

1. Georgetown, with it's outstanding academics, alumni base, job opportunities once bball is over, location, conference, coach (Cooley), etc.

or

2. GW - only thing that can match is location. All other factors fail to match up.

Georgetown 89-127 the last 7 years. Yeah it's a difficult decision for one year. Georgetown also isn't the school it once was except for those looking in the rearview mirror. NIL probably made the difference.

Last edited by GWRising (5/05/2023 2:37 pm)

5/05/2023 2:36 pm  #346

Mike K wrote:

Maybe Settle is the guard Rising was referring to.  

Settle is a 6-10 forward.

5/05/2023 2:38 pm  #347

Well, that "settles" that, I am corrected  - no pun intended.

5/05/2023 2:51 pm  #348

Hard to argue with a kid for cashing in if he can. Good for him. Would I have loved for him to be at GW--of course! So let's hope GW's NIL gets off the ground so we can start to compete when it comes down to cash.

5/05/2023 3:58 pm  #349

GWRising wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

or

Georgetown 89-127 the last 7 years. Yeah it's a difficult decision for one year. Georgetown also isn't the school it once was except for those looking in the rearview mirror. NIL probably made the difference.

Not only NIL.    Everything else being equal, Ge**getown is in the Big East with its Big East schedule and its Big East TV contract, and GW and the A-10 generally can't compete with that.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (5/05/2023 3:59 pm)

5/05/2023 4:21 pm  #350

jf wrote:

Well, he'll blossom over there, or he'll be Joe Bamisile. We'll see, but don't particularly care unless we play him. Can clearly shoot the 3, but we need rebounders and his 1.7 average last year doesn't inspire confidence along those lines. Since we need someone who can hit the boards 9or grab rebounds any way they can), we may do better
 For a big man, especially, feel there's a lot more opportunity to shine here--and that can be worth more to any potential grad transfer or rental than $40,000 if they want a professional career somewhere.
See Tyler Cavanaugh who came from Wake Forest and went to the NBA and Euroleague.
  Or James Bishop from LSU to GW greatness. Or Brendan Adams from UConn to GW stardom his senior year. Or Max Edwards from never appearing at K-State to rookie greatness at GW.
   Or consider the cautionary tale of Mr. Bamisile, whose big role at GW was sandwiched in between bench ones at Virginia Tech and Oklahoma. Only to come back to the A-10, where he has the possibility to star again.

Max didn’t play at K St because he was injured.  He didn’t even get to practice.

5/05/2023 4:50 pm  #351

No blame on CC here.

CC is the Kia car salesman while Cooley is the BMW car salesman.

What car do you think a college kid is going to buy if he had his choice?

Some here just refuse to believe we aren't in the same class as GTown - not even on the same planet.

As for Settle's, we hopefully can and should be able to compete with the Towson's of the world.

5/05/2023 4:56 pm  #352

Yes, needless to say, I'm aware Max didn't play at K-State due to injury. Said "never appearing."
But he indicated he was told (doesn't say by who) to transfer.
Quote from his Twitter: ."I had 2 surgeries and wasn’t able to play in a single college game…I was told to put myself in the portal with a no film..2023 I’m A10 Rookie of the year + all rookie team !I’m truly blessed and grateful to be in this position… I can’t thank this staff at GW enough!!"
  And in any case, wouldn't have had the opportunity, he has enjoyed and made the most of here.

And Max is in a great position for a pro future right here at GW.
     Which was the point. 

5/05/2023 8:09 pm  #353

Joel Joseph wrote:

No blame on CC here.

Some here just refuse to believe we aren't in the same class as GTown - not even on the same planet.

As for Settle's, we hopefully can and should be able to compete with the Towson's of the world.

Hard Agree on Each Point!

5/07/2023 8:01 pm  #354

Any updates

5/08/2023 9:55 am  #355

FredD wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

No blame on CC here.

So with Weluche-Ume, who can play wing or small ball 5, signed, correct me if I’m wrong but the roster is now:

Bishop
Jacoi
Autry
Jones
Maximus
Schroder
Buchanan
Garrett Johnson
Weluch-Ume
Keegan Harvey

So that leaves 3 scholarships available.  Hopefully 1-2 bigs (a true big like Favour Aire or both Aire and Settles would be nice) and 1 more guard to give us some experienced hall handling and shooting. 

Did I get it right?

5/08/2023 10:47 am  #356

Free Quebec wrote:

FredD wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

No blame on CC here.

So with Weluche-Ume, who can play wing or small ball 5, signed, correct me if I’m wrong but the roster is now:

Bishop
Jacoi
Autry
Jones
Maximus
Schroder
Buchanan
Garrett Johnson
Weluch-Ume
Keegan Harvey

So that leaves 3 scholarships available. Hopefully 1-2 bigs (a true big like Favour Aire or both Aire and Settles would be nice) and 1 more guard to give us some experienced hall handling and shooting.

Did I get it right?

Looks good to me.

5/08/2023 11:13 am  #357

Roster shaping up with a lot of potential amongst guys who have not yet played or played VERY little.... now lets scoop up some transfers!!

5/08/2023 11:22 am  #358

PKGW wrote:

Any updates

You have one answer this morning. Hopefully, there will be more good news later in the week but not definite yet.

5/08/2023 11:22 am  #359

Here is a question for those who are much more informed than me. When recruits are considering a school, they know who is on the team and who have committed. Do coaches say something to the effect, we are close to getting player A or a player with this type of game?  This may entice or turn off the recruit? I imagine it must be said at times, but how frequently is this done?  Is it generally effective?  Some recruits may see this as being recruited over in the very same class.

Last edited by Mike K (5/08/2023 11:22 am)

5/08/2023 12:14 pm  #360

Hunter Dean to LSU.. That should tell you a few things about the market for post players. Not a slight on Hunter but who would have thought this would be his destination

Board footera