GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2023 10:33 am  #461

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal Szn

Can't catch a break when it comes to getting a true big man to commit.

6/06/2023 10:45 am  #462

MG14 wrote:

Need NIL badly and I dont think we have anything to offer

6/06/2023 10:50 am  #463

Damn. Had hopes….

6/06/2023 10:55 am  #464

Florida Colonial wrote:

MG14 wrote:

Need NIL badly and I dont think we have anything to offer

You're 100% right. As JJ Gotschalk said on twitter, NIL money must've been more important to him even if his minutes would be limited as he's likely to backup Oduro.

6/06/2023 11:04 am  #465

It's also that a lot of kids would rather sit on the bench at a HM than play at MM/LM. That's the way they've been conditioned. Happens in AAU all the time. Would rather sit the bench on an EYBL team than play on another circuit or off circuit. Principal reason why kids who have talent go to wrong situation repeatedly and end up not the player they thought or hoped they would be.

6/06/2023 11:27 am  #466

GWRising wrote:

It's also that a lot of kids would rather sit on the bench at a HM than play at MM/LM. That's the way they've been conditioned. Happens in AAU all the time. Would rather sit the bench on an EYBL team than play on another circuit or off circuit. Principal reason why kids who have talent go to wrong situation repeatedly and end up not the player they thought or hoped they would be.

I don't doubt it Rising and even amongst the HMs you see kids chasing NIL cash vs. being the BMOC at a middle of the pack team. Cam Spencer at Rutgers comes to mind. I can at least understand it at AAU because just being associated with a high level AAU team may get you a scholarship somewhere and then you can springboard that to a better school later in the portal.

It's just seems to me that if these kids want any chance at a pro career, they should go somewhere to put up solid numbers and sell themselves as a first team all-conference player.  I know we're biased GW fans, but really ANY school in the A10 is a great jumping off point for a kid to make really good money playing in a strong euro league. Good luck trying to make a Spanish team averaging 3/2/1 in 12 minutes off the bench.

Last edited by GW0509 (6/06/2023 11:38 am)

6/06/2023 11:27 am  #467

To add to the above, a lot of this has to do with social media relevance. I guess it's a lot "cooler" to say you are going to HM School X rather than MM/LM School Y. Especially for guys already HM's. Also, frankly, McNair has largely been a bench player his whole collegiate career. Maybe he likes it that way.

6/06/2023 11:32 am  #468

CC and co.'s instincts seem to be quite good as we hunt for big men in this later period.
   But the system is stacked against us and many other schools even more than before.
It doesn't make sense to trade away the potential for at least some kind of pro career overseas
to ride the pine somewhere for what in retrospect will turn out to be modest NIL compensation in
comparison to future earnings. We have plenty of playing time for a big man, it's very clear to see.
   Don't know how, as international is not just us and some others anymore, but we're going to have to engage in some Revolutionary way to cope and thrive. Which we did in a much simpler past, making this a big challenge.

6/06/2023 12:10 pm  #469

I agree with all of you guys on high-major bench players like McNair transferring to another high-major school. I understand players getting caught up in the bright lights of BCS schools when they initially come out of high school because the SEC-ACC-Big East-Big 10 conferences are glamorized but I'd assume that pride/competitiveness will kick in at some point and wasting away on the bench for four years at a high-major (or any level) is not what you'd want of your college career.

Even though GW can't deliver the same NIL money as a Providence, Georgetown or Maryland, the opportunity to be the A-10 Player of the Year and/or A-10 All-Conference should trump averaging 5ppg in the Big East or ACC. 

6/06/2023 2:13 pm  #470

The young man listed nine schools that he had been in touch with.  He ends up signing with a tenth school.

Perhaps there's a lesson here for those who enjoy hanging on every word that Twitter has to offer?  (Incidentally, this happens very often.  The school that's really in the lead is not publicly mentioned until the player has selected it.)

6/06/2023 2:30 pm  #471

Gwmayhem wrote:

The young man listed nine schools that he had been in touch with.  He ends up signing with a tenth school.

Perhaps there's a lesson here for those who enjoy hanging on every word that Twitter has to offer?  (Incidentally, this happens very often.  The school that's really in the lead is not publicly mentioned until the player has selected it.)

Agreed. Two things a GW fan should never trust ... Twitter Recruiting Reports (until there is a confirmed commitment) and Kenner Summer League Reports. 

6/06/2023 4:30 pm  #472

Who is advising these young men?Where are the adults in the room?This is a very short term follow the 
money situation that is incredibly foolish.I guess “take the money and run” is the zeitgeist of the day.
Taking advantage of the disadvantaged.Total collusion between the High Majors and these kids- who
dont get it.I guess after the PGA merger with LIV ANYTHING is possible.I ask you in all sincerity-where is the outrage?We are allowed to be outraged even if we know it changes nothing.

Last edited by GW69 (6/06/2023 4:32 pm)

6/06/2023 7:03 pm  #473

On the bright side, if we keep whiffing on bigs, Weluche-Ume is going to get tons of experience - and he might be really good.

6/12/2023 9:30 pm  #474

SEC post player likely headed to GW.

6/12/2023 10:20 pm  #475

GWRising wrote:

SEC post player likely headed to GW.

Fingers crossed.   Thanks for the heads up.

6/12/2023 10:35 pm  #476

Always hoping….

6/13/2023 7:07 am  #477

Not that this means anything but the only SEC post that I found caputo is following on social media is Babatunde Akingbola from Auburn (originally from Nigeria).

6/13/2023 8:51 am  #478

Akingbola is a possibility.  Another is Ashton Smith who just redshirted his freshman year at Texas A & M.

Smith is 6'9", 270 pounds.  A 3 star out of high school, ranked #216 nationally and anywhere from the 30th to 33rd best center coming out that year.

Babatunde Akingbola (pretty damn close to Akingbade) is a 6'10", 245 pound Nigerian.  He has spent 4 seasons at Auburn, having played in 27 games as a sophomore but only 10 games (under 4 minutes per) over his last two seasons.

6/13/2023 10:02 am  #479

Akingbola is much more of a GW name than Smith.

Looks like he got buried behind two NBA players his junior year and never recovered.  He averaged nine fouls per 40 min as a frosh and seven as a soph.  Some good stuff in his Covid year though like offensive rebounding and blocks.

6/13/2023 10:47 am  #480

BM wrote:

Akingbola is much more of a GW name than Smith.

Looks like he got buried behind two NBA players his junior year and never recovered.  He averaged nine fouls per 40 min as a frosh and seven as a soph.  Some good stuff in his Covid year though like offensive rebounding and blocks.

True BM, but let's not forget that we just added a Smith.  In fact, the recent signee is an A. Smith.

Revolutionaries?  The possibility of adding two A. Smiths?  The times they are a changing.

Board footera