GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2023 2:52 pm  #121

Re: The Coaching Carousel Thread

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Mark Madsen leaves Utah Valley to take the Cal job. For Cal, that is like Washington´s NFL team getting sold to Jerry Jones. And for Madsen, that is like leaving a nice but bland condo in a suburban subdivision for a historic brownstone fix-me-upper in Mid-town Manhattan that may just be an unsalvageable dump.
Texas Tech and Temple are now the two large-budget jobs that remain open.

I don't disagree with the sentiments here that Cal is not a good job but I wonder if Stanford is that much better (and I think he ends up at Stanford if they fire Haase, which I don't understand why they didn't). Either way I think having a former Stanford star at Cal adds some juice to an otherwise struggling PAC12.

Army has hired Butler assistant Kevin Kuwik as their head coach. Zak Boisvert seemed to be a pretty serious candidate there but I am selfishly glad he will be back at GW next season. Kuwik should do a decent job but I would take Boisvert over him if I were Army. Very difficult place to win.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about jobs that JC is involved in. I know GWRising said he was involved with some jobs a few weeks ago but I am curious to see where he ends up. There's a few openings I could see him at but every few days another one of them is filled. I wonder if he would be willing to work as an assistant anywhere or if he'd rather continue doing what he is doing now

3/29/2023 4:22 pm  #122

Odom to VCU, which always seems to upgrade.

Re: Posters and message board bullshit, after 21 years this is likely my last post, since Barry Feil seems to want to delete posts of legitimate concern to the program ("Boeheim to retire. GW impact?") but allow The Dude unlimited airtime to post his knob-polishing non-GW garbage. Wishing most of you the best. See y'all!

3/29/2023 4:56 pm  #123

Mentzinger wrote:

Odom to VCU, which always seems to upgrade.

Re: Posters and message board bullshit, after 21 years this is likely my last post, since Barry Feil seems to want to delete posts of legitimate concern to the program ("Boeheim to retire. GW impact?") but allow douchewickets like The Dude unlimited airtime to post his knob-polishing non-GW garbage. Wishing most of you the best. See y'all!

1) I guess VCU is paying a bit more than UMBC did.  (A snarky reference to Odom deciding not to interview with GW several years ago because GW was paying about what UMBC had been paying him.)

2) Wow.  Mentzinger, I really hope you'll reconsider though I do understand it.  The Dude has ruined this board for many...solid posters like yourself who grew too tired of all of his bullshit and simply left this site for good.  I only wish I could understand why his incessant trolling continues to be permitted here.

3/29/2023 5:18 pm  #124

Wow Mentz, this site can't afford to lose you since you were one of the few remaining posters with legit posts. I can't say I'm surprised though. We have lost so many of our long time die hard GW BBall fans these last 6 years.

Barry, what you are left with now is a very small few like Mentz and 1 or 2 like the Dude who continue to use multiple names. We are the laughingstock of A-10 Basketball. Recruits (and more importantly family members) who  immediately go to a school's fan board when looking at colleges to attend in order to get the pulse and feelings (and number of posters who give a shit) of the student body and other fans (and they disregard 95% of what they read because it's mostly anonymous posters spewing garbage). One look at this site and the other one the past 6 years say's it all about GW.

Now what you are left with is a few posters posting at all hours of the day and night mostly about nothing that has to do with GW hoops. 

Thanks for the years of info and insights Mentz. Look forward to seeing you at a game in a couple decades from now once the Knapp/Maltzman/Nero curse has been excised.

3/29/2023 7:24 pm  #125

Mentz goes back to Mario´s site. And if you don´t know what that refers to and you are one of posters who has irritated him, then you should be the one to bugger off.

3/29/2023 7:30 pm  #126

Barry is doing great.

Joel's Maltzman/Nero schtick is the most annoying and weird thing on here all these years later.

Mayhem, if I click on your name I can see all of your recent posts. On the first page alone, which goes back one week, you have 14 mentions of the dude and/or replies to his posts. That's not what I want to come here to read.

I have no ill history (that I know of) with any of these posters. And this is the first and last time i'll engage these folks because I do what 99% of people on here successfully do, which is just ignore posts you don't care for or agree with. It's really not that difficult and not that big of a deal.

Thanks Barry for all of your work. 

3/29/2023 7:33 pm  #127

Mentzinger wrote:

Re: Posters and message board bullshit, after 21 years this is likely my last post, since Barry Feil seems to want to delete posts of legitimate concern to the program ("Boeheim to retire. GW impact?") but allow The Dude unlimited airtime to post his knob-polishing non-GW garbage. Wishing most of you the best. See y'all!

There was a complaint by a poster on this board in the last few weeks that there were too many separate threads being created that was making the board hard to follow which was justified imo. As a result, several threads have been "merged". Your thread was one of several that were merged. Check page 1 of this thread. The posts from your thread are still there. Never realized this would lead to complaints by other posters - maybe a mistake on my part. I guess you can't please everyone! There have been very few posts that have been deleted in the history of this board.

Joel Joseph wrote:

Barry, what you are left with now is a very small few like Mentz and 1 or 2 like the Dude who continue to use multiple names. We are the laughingstock of A-10 Basketball. Recruits (and more importantly family members) who  immediately go to a school's fan board when looking at colleges to attend in order to get the pulse and feelings (and number of posters who give a shit) of the student body and other fans (and they disregard 95% of what they read because it's mostly anonymous posters spewing garbage). One look at this site and the other one the past 6 years say's it all about GW.

Incessant complaining and whining reflects just as poorly. How about posting something positive for a change? I've never understood the obsession with whether someone is posting under different names either. Who cares!

I don't always agree with what The Dude writes. Is there a hidden agenda at times? Without a doubt, but at least he keeps it about basketball. The name calling on the other hand has been largely one-sided which is not tolerated on this board.

Don't agree with what someone says? Respond without the name calling. If it's bothering you, ignore their posts or take a break from the board. Too many posters on here get easily triggered. Not everything needs a response. Barry posted about this in another thread that got locked and we don't need another one closed for the same thing. Now let's get back to the actual topic. Thanks.

3/29/2023 7:37 pm  #128

dmvpiranha wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

Re: Posters and message board bullshit, after 21 years this is likely my last post, since Barry Feil seems to want to delete posts of legitimate concern to the program ("Boeheim to retire. GW impact?") but allow douchewickets like The Dude unlimited airtime to post his knob-polishing non-GW garbage. Wishing most of you the best. See y'all!

There was a complaint by a poster on this board in the last few weeks that there were too many separate threads being created that was making the board hard to follow which was justified imo. As a result, several threads have been "merged". Your thread was one of several that were merged. Check page 1 of this thread. The posts from your thread are still there. Never realized this would lead to complaints by other posters - maybe a mistake on my part. I guess you can't please everyone! There have been very few posts that have been deleted in the history of this board.

Joel Joseph wrote:

Incessant complaining and whining reflects just as poorly. How about posting something positive for a change? I've never understood the obsession with whether someone is posting under different names either. Who cares!

I don't always agree with what The Dude writes. Is there a hidden agenda at times? Without a doubt, but at least he keeps it about basketball. The name calling on the other hand has been largely one-sided which is not tolerated on this board.

Don't agree with what someone says? Respond without the name calling. If it's bothering you, ignore their posts or take a break from the board. Too many posters on here get easily triggered. Not everything needs a response. Barry posted about this in another thread that got locked and we don't need another one closed for the same thing. Now let's get back to the actual topic. Thanks.

+1,000,000

and thanks dmv for all of your work too! I didn't realize you were helping moderate.

Last edited by Hugh (3/29/2023 7:38 pm)

3/29/2023 8:18 pm  #129

dmvpiranha wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

1000% with you and with Barry. Thanks for managing this
There are plenty of us who just want to talk basketball.. Damn we all love GW and are a small community, so let's get along. 

3/29/2023 8:36 pm  #130

Well said DMV. Thanks to you, Barry and any other moderators.

Now who are we getting from the Portal??

3/29/2023 10:10 pm  #131

Hugh wrote:

Barry is doing great.

Joel's Maltzman/Nero schtick is the most annoying and weird thing on here all these years later.

Mayhem, if I click on your name I can see all of your recent posts. On the first page alone, which goes back one week, you have 14 mentions of the dude and/or replies to his posts. That's not what I want to come here to read.

I have no ill history (that I know of) with any of these posters. And this is the first and last time i'll engage these folks because I do what 99% of people on here successfully do, which is just ignore posts you don't care for or agree with. It's really not that difficult and not that big of a deal.

Thanks Barry for all of your work. 

Thank you Hugh, and FQ on a prior thread, and DMV.

Look, this 1 sided daily attack has gone on for 4 years on this site, and many years before, its time to take action against the person doing it.   Just an occassional "hey no name calling" or locking a thread when he does it (every day) isn't enough.  Its being done on for some sort of depraved sport, and we've seen it done to many others too. Keith Greene,, Fred D, Rich Maier (chased off ) Brian Jenny  "Ziik" (banned for responding to the attack)

Please take some action so we can just talk GW and college basketball, its beyond obvious after 4 straight years the person doing the attacks isn't.  Action must be taken to stop it.   

I'm sure everyone is sick of it, you can imagine how the daily target of it feels.

VCU hires Odom and USF goes with Abdur-Rahim instead of Mike Brey.  Given the choice between the 2.... I'd take Brey. Hopefully Mike is holding out for a better job, he deserves it.

Temple hires Adam Fisher, another long time Larranaga assistant, most recently with Micah at PSU.  Aaron McKie, another star player failed to get it done replacing Fran Dunphy.   

Last edited by The Dude (3/29/2023 10:21 pm)

3/30/2023 7:32 am  #132

Maybe Brey should take a year or two off before diving back into the stress of being a coach.  I know I would if I were he.

3/30/2023 9:06 am  #133

Dittos from me on your doing a great job to Barry, DMV and whomever else may be monitoring.   Until this recent upswing, I thought the acrimony had gone way down since Barry last took us to the woodshed.  If it can be done, I would imagine that a "block poster" function would go a long way toward ending the problem.  Otherwise, as previously said, just don't read any poster that you know may set you off.

3/30/2023 9:09 am  #134

American update. With Paulsen going to Holy Cross looks like Simpkins, Webster, Josh Loeffler (Johns Hopkins) and Landry Kosmalski (Swarthmore) remain. There could be one other stealth candidate but that's just a rumor. Expect American to make an announcement today or tomorrow. Interesting that AU would consider two very accomplished and very successful high academic D3 coaches. All good choices IMO.

3/30/2023 9:11 am  #135

To Hugh, DMVPiranha and anyone else who has grown tired of the bickering:

Believe me when I say that I know just how you feel.  I know this feud is not what you come here to read, but do you really think my mean-spirited responses are what I enjoy posting?  There's nothing more that I would enjoy than to participate on a message board that is purely about GW basketball along with any other tangential subjects that may be of interest to the board.  Simply put, The Dude has not made this possible.

It's completely unfair to suggest that The Dude "keeps it about basketball."  What he keeps it about is trolling, specifically against me.  He has said in the past that he would love nothing more than to chase me off of this site.  He has flat out lied on many occasions with this vendetta in mind.  The fact that he has a passive-aggressive tone to his posts should not offer him any type of excuse or free pass.  He purposefully finds ways to agitate me, and in the process, ends up agitating a number of you as well.  Like when he makes the same tired points literally hundreds of times, adding nothing new to the discussion.  Or when he starts 5 new threads in a 15 minute period.  Or when he makes accusations of others involving the very things that he himself is guilty of doing, like posting under different personas.  This is the behavior of a troll.

While at least one and maybe more of you have indicated that you have no problem with anyone posting under multiple names, wasn't this the differentiator that Barry was so pleased about when he first started this site?  One poster name per person?  Wasn't a failure to control this a major problem which ultimately ruined Herve's site, at least in part?  For all I know, anyone who is inexplicably coming to The Dude's defense may very well be The Dude himself.  Sadly, I don't think that is the case, at least with some of you.

When I read that Mentzinger, a well-respected poster who is very knowledgeable about both GW basketball's history as well as its current state, decides to leave this site and mentions The Dude by name as a primary reason for doing so, I am left to conclude that The Dude once again infected this site.  I do not know Mentzinger personally, have never had a conversation with him.  Mentzinger has never indicated to me that he had a problem with my salty responses to The Dude because I am sure he fully understands where I am coming from.  Neither has GWRising, LSF, Joel Joseph, Skittles, Merrick, or dozens of other posters.  Here is an example of a post made by Merrick earlier this month:

"Dude, this is my opinion and may not reflect others.  I don't like picking on other posters, recognize that variety is often helpful, and enjoy reading others' posts (usually) as much as occasionally posting myself, but when you start multiple threads in a short span, this board starts becoming very tiring and cumbersome."

Even if you're not a fan of my heavy-handed approach, you should be OK with this perfectly reasonable one.  Nevertheless, nearly 4 weeks after it was written, The Dude has not changed his behavior one bit.  He is still in everyone's face for roughly 17 hours a day, every day.  It's smothering.  It's too much.  But not only is nobody asking him to tone down his act, it appears as if some of you are really OK with his act.

Some people have said that if I stop the name-calling, he'll fall into line.  Or that if I ignore all of his posts, then this will solve the problem.  I do not believe either of these things for a moment.  That said, I will stop the name calling because: a) I know it upsets a number of you and b) contrary to what you might think, I really don't enjoy this role.  All I or anyone could possibly ask in return is that The Dude participates here like a normal human being.  That means making a point and defending that point where applicable, but not dozens and dozens of times.  It also means posting without an agenda.  It means not deliberately trying to agitate others.  If it's a reasonable standard for all of us, there's no reason why it shouldn't be a reasonable standard for The Dude too.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (3/30/2023 9:50 am)

3/30/2023 10:13 am  #136

Tony Skinn is the new head coach at George Mason

3/30/2023 11:08 am  #137

With Mike Rhodes leaving VCU, Jalen DeLoach, Nick Kern, and Jamil Watkins all went portaling.  No idea if Odom will be able to keep any, but looks like a big rebuild (or reload) needed for Odom.

3/30/2023 12:30 pm  #138

Free Quebec wrote:

With Mike Rhodes leaving VCU, Jalen DeLoach, Nick Kern, and Jamil Watkins all went portaling.  No idea if Odom will be able to keep any, but looks like a big rebuild (or reload) needed for Odom.

Does look like they're about to lose much of the team

Every VCU Coach has kept the train rolling for over two decades now despite constant Coaching turnover.

Odom does look like yet another good hire, any reason to believe he won't?

Conversely every VCU Coach has bolted for a Power 5 and all of them have been fired within 4-5 years:

Capel. Anthony Grant. Shaka Smart.  Will Wade.

3/31/2023 12:22 pm  #139

Free Quebec wrote:

Ace Baldwin the A10 POY also in the portal

4/01/2023 9:16 am  #140

The stealth candidate at AU I referred to above could well be Mike Jones, current VT associate HC and former DeMatha HC. That's the strong rumor coming from Houston. He would be a great hire.

Last edited by GWRising (4/01/2023 9:17 am)

Board footera