GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/06/2019 12:35 am  #1

Other Games Thread (11/1 - 11/15/19)

In some other action tonight Jordan Roland scored 39 in a 72-67 Northeastern victory over Boston U. and
Colin Goss scored 13 on 6 of 9 shooting for Delaware in a win over Bridgwater.

Last edited by dmvpiranha (11/20/2019 6:22 pm)

11/06/2019 4:33 pm  #2

Re: Other Games Thread (11/1 - 11/15/19)

Block or Charge,  thanks for starting this thread here!! I didn't realize so many teams were playing on opening night for college basketball. I guess Jordan Roland will be a favorite for Player of the Year in his conference. 

I don't see any A10 or GW opponents playing tonight. Georgetown hosts Mount St.Mary's tonight on CBS SportsNetwork. I was surprised to see that the ACC had 1 or 2 conference games last night(Virginia Tech won at Clemson) and they'll also have some conference games tonight. Why did they decide to have conference games right off the bat? Conference games are very important, wouldn't a conference want all their teams to have played several games before the conference games start?? What kind of scouting report could you possibly get on a conference opponent, if you play them in the first game of the year? I saw parts of the Virginia Tech- Clemson game and VA Tech essentially has a brand new team. They may have had someone play well who Clemson was totally unaware of. 

11/07/2019 9:55 am  #3

Darnell Rogers put up 14 points on 5-6 shooting, 5 rebounds, 10 assists, and 2 TOs for UMBC on Tuesday against Valley Forge.

https://www.umbcretrievers.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/bios/rogers_darnell_bd01?view=gamelog&pos=bc

https://twitter.com/UMBCAthletics/status/1192180341751992320

11/07/2019 10:29 am  #4

Greg Paulus also officially named HC of Niagra.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1192463662507810817

11/07/2019 12:52 pm  #5

Jair Bolden started for South Carolina in their opener, scoring 14 points in 23 minutes in a win over North Alabama.

11/07/2019 1:13 pm  #6

Hugh wrote:

Jair Bolden started for South Carolina in their opener, scoring 14 points in 23 minutes in a win over North Alabama.

I'm honestly still shocked that Jair was able to transfer up a level. I thought he was a lock to go down a level where he could be a volume scorer. Also wonder the reason why he wears #52. Odd choice. 

Last edited by GW18 (11/07/2019 1:13 pm)

11/07/2019 2:17 pm  #7

Too bad that Mount St. Mary's couldn't beat Georgetown last night. I was loving watching those Hoya fans look like they were going to vomit when MSM took that 19-point lead. Georgetown has talent for sure but their coaching is highly suspect. MSM flat out-coached Patrick for about 30+ minutes last night to a huge degree when you look at the talent differential. I am sure JC was loving his former MSM kids playing Georgetown tough last night..

11/07/2019 2:20 pm  #8

I would have posted about the South Carolina game last night but I couldn't find it on the SEC Network(they were showing women's volleyball) despite it being listed as being on the SEC Network according to my go to gambling site. By the time I found out there is an alternate SEC channel online, it was too late to post it here. I caught the final moments of Jair's game, and he looks a lot stronger, he may have put on about 15 pounds of muscle. The announcers also said that the South Carolina coaches were very high on J.Bolden due to how well he was playing in practices last season while he sat out. 

About Jair Bolden transferring up, I'm assuming someone on South Carolina's coaching staff watched and/or recruited him in high school, and figured he could be an impact player for them, despite being a pretty good player on a middle-of-the-pack team from a lower level. In recent years, GW has had a couple guys put up so-so numbers as Colonials, then transfer up to BCS schools and put up similar or better numbers, when you look at Savage and Jorgenson. Maybe Jair Bolden will do the same at South Carolina. 

MG14,  good find on Darnell Rogers. I had totally forgotten about him after he left Florida Gulf Coast. It's good that he has resurfaced at a school close to home. It's interesting that Greg Paulus will get his first head coaching job under these less-than-ideal circumstances. I'm sure he'd prefer to get a head coaching job in the conventional way where a school pursues you and offers you the job. How did Greg Paulus  jump the other assistants and get the head coaching job when he wasn't even on Niagara's staff last year? Was it his well-known name and pedigree? Did the players lobby for him to be the head coach?

11/07/2019 2:34 pm  #9

GWRising wrote:

Too bad that Mount St. Mary's couldn't beat Georgetown last night. I was loving watching those Hoya fans look like they were going to vomit when MSM took that 19-point lead. Georgetown has talent for sure but their coaching is highly suspect. MSM flat out-coached Patrick for about 30+ minutes last night to a huge degree when you look at the talent differential. I am sure JC was loving his former MSM kids playing Georgetown tough last night..

A number of the posters on Georgetown's board were honest enough to admit that Mount St.Mary's coach outcoached Ewing, and the main reason Georgetown was able to pull it out was because they simply had too much size and athleticism for Mount St.Mary's. Maybe you can credit Ewing for switching to a "havoc" style of defense which totally flustered Mount St.Mary's and quickly erased the 19 point deficit, but a team with superior talent overwhelming a less talented team with a press/trap isn't really that impressive!!

11/07/2019 3:11 pm  #10

The Bolden numbers last night also included 5-9 shooting, 8 rebounds, and zero turnovers.  Coaching just might make a big difference for that young man.  Granted, it was against North Alabama.

Regarding Paulus, this would have been Patrick Beilein's first year at Niagara so I'm assuming that his assistants were all new to the program as well.  Paulus may have been the last one hired but may have been the most qualified given the programs he has been with.

11/07/2019 3:35 pm  #11

GW18 wrote:

Hugh wrote:

I'm honestly still shocked that Jair was able to transfer up a level. I thought he was a lock to go down a level where he could be a volume scorer. Also wonder the reason why he wears #52. Odd choice. 

Jair was consistently under appreciated by our fans.  He wasn’t great but he played on a bad team, with no coaching, no one to help handle the ball, and no one to pass to, but still managed to consistently create his own shot.  He was a streaky underclassman when we had him,  but with good coaching, I thought he would have been a solid A10 lead guard.  Even at his worst he was a better player than DJ Williams, for example.

I’m not surprised at all if he’s a contributor under Frank Martin. (Definitely tough to see the former ML recruits like Jordan Roland and Jair lighting it up elsewhere as upperclassman)

11/07/2019 3:37 pm  #12

GW Mayem,  thanks, it makes sense now. I assumed Patrick Beilein had been coaching at Niagara for a few years at least. It will be interesting to see how Paulus does because his players will now have to adjust to a 2nd or 3rd head coach in a span of a few months!

I've got to bring up Virginia, even though GW doesn't play them this year. They won at Syracuse 48-34 last night!! I didn't see this game at all, but I know Virginia's best 3 players from the National Championship team are now in the NBA, and they still came out and "pitched a shutout" at Syracuse in the 1st game of the season, with a new cast of characters!! 

11/07/2019 5:01 pm  #13

Not surprising at all to see Bolden and Roland lighting it up. We were poised for a good run and then ... I'm trying to find a good word for the whole situation that is neutral that we can all refer to when discussing the past to avoid the back and forth of who is to blame. It would be great if we could just have one word that everyone knows what it refers to and we save a lot of reading and controversy. Any ideas?

Here are a few:

the "situation"
the "event"
the "calamity"

So ... back to the present. UVA under Bennett has nearly perfected packline defense. It's a system and believe it or not, he's proven it can sustain with different personnel. Wasn't that surprised that they held Syracuse down. They've been guarding people tough well before the National Championship.

11/08/2019 9:16 am  #14

Channeling the Ireland situation from the past ... the "troubles".

11/08/2019 10:42 am  #15

Big OOC game tonight for the A10:

#24 Auburn vs. Davidson   6:00  on CBS SportsNetwork -  this game is part of a double-header played at Navy. Davidson is one of the favorites to win the A10, so this would be a big win for the conference

Longwood at George Mason  7 on ESPN+

Vermont at St.Bonaventure  7 on ESPN+

North Texas at #25 VCU   7 on ESPN+  - I wasn't aware that VCU started the year ranked in the AP top 25

William & Mary at  American U   7

Harvard at Northeastern    8  - Block or Charge mentioned Jordan Roland's big opening game, let's see how he does against Harvard. I'm not seeing a TV network listed for this game, but if I find out it's being televised, I'll post it here

Illinois-Chicago at #14 Memphis   7 on ESPNU - No GW ties in this game, but you may want to watch Memphis star freshman James Wiseman, who may start to garner Zion Williamson-like hype as the season goes on, and will be the reason several NBA teams will start tanking to get a better chance at the #1 overall pick in the 2020 draft.  

11/08/2019 11:08 am  #16

Some interesting lines for these games including Davidson receiving just 1 1/2 points from Auburn on a neutral court (that's a lot of respect for Davidson) and SBU off of a home loss to Ohio as a home dog of 2 1/2 against a solid Vermont team.  Jumping ahead, URI plays at Maryland in a big one for the conference tomorrow night at 9 on FS1.  No line yet for the Bison and the Colonials.

11/08/2019 1:58 pm  #17

"Fired the Coach for player abuse" seems to be the most accurate summary.
Four seasons ago. 
Get over it and move on already
Thomas, I've set the DVR for the Davidson game! should be a good one.

11/08/2019 3:31 pm  #18

GWMayem,  I was surprised at the line being that low for the Davidson-Auburn game, I'm seeing Auburn listed as a 3 point favorite. I'm assuming Davidson should have a slight home court advantage because a number of their fans should be able to make the trip to Annapolis to watch this game. Tomorrow's Rhode Island-Maryland game is also a big-time matchup as you wrote, I believe Maryland is ranked in the top 10 and their fans have some very high expectations for this team. 

GWRising,  you're right about Tony Bennett perfecting the pack-line defense, and he's been able to sustain his system with all the personnel losses over the years,  but you'd think there would be a slight fall off this year, when you consider all the guys they lost from the National Championship team. For them to come out in the 1st game of the year and hold Syracuse to 34 points at the Carrier Dome is surprising to me, even though I shouldn't be surprised by it. Someone on here posted(that post and poster has since been deleted!!) that Jim Boeheim was whining about having the 1st game of the year being a conference game. I'm gonna have to find the video, because Boeheim whining is always great entertainment, even though I think he's right about playing conference games this early.

11/08/2019 4:29 pm  #19

"Nero's scam of GW" comes to mind. Only at GW could 1 person set our program back what will end up being a decade or more (in our 4th year now), cost us untold millions (Lonergan's buyout, Nero's buyout, loss of ticket revenue and alum donations, etc).

Good news is we play Howard this weekend. Regardless of our talent level right now (or lack thereof) we should be able to beat Howard at home in front of what will be a packed house at the Smitty!

Raise High!

11/08/2019 4:34 pm  #20

There were several ACC conference games to open the season and the best matchups (ND-UNC, Syr-UVA) found their way to the ACC Network.  A strategic slap in the face to the nation's largest cable provider who still has not agreed to pick up their programming.

Thomas, I wonder whether Davidson will have the crowd in Annapolis.  A shorter and doable drive as you point out but I suspect Auburn must have a far larger alumni and fan base in general.  As for your other, I am left to sarcastically ask, "Maryland fans having very high expectations for their team?  That's so unlike them."

If it's any consolation (and I'm sure it's not), Jordan Roland's eligibility would have expired after last season meaning he would not be playing for this year's GW team since he would not have sat out a transfer season.

Board footera