GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/08/2019 5:11 pm  #21

Re: Other Games Thread (11/1 - 11/15/19)

GW Mayem,  I figured Auburn probably has 2 or 3 big OOC games/events coming up, in addition to their SEC conference games staring in January, so their fans may overlook this game against Davidson, but tonight's game is being played at the Naval Academy a few days before Veteran's Day, so Auburn could have a large turnout due to the broader significance of this game. Maryland fans seem to be in a tough spot because all of them appear to hate Mark Turgeon("Turgeon Can't Recruit, Turgeon Can't Coach!" LOL) at this point, but on paper(they're ranked #7 to start the year), this looks to be one of the best teams Turgeon has had since he's been the coach at Maryland.

I don't think GW's program will be doomed for that long, despite the mess that happened with Nero v Lonergan, GW did not get any NCAA sanctions. GW is operating with a clean slate, so if Jamion Christian can bring in the right players(which it looks like he's very capable of doing) things can turn around quickly. 

Last edited by Thomas (11/10/2019 11:06 am)

11/08/2019 5:21 pm  #22

About Kentucky, any explanation as to why Cal is no longer getting so many of the top 10s?
Seems to have ended as a thing, after a run where he was getting 3-5 every year.  Has some positives as he actually returns some good players now on ocassion.

11/08/2019 7:20 pm  #23

For those that subscribed to Flosports for the Towson game, you should be able to watch the 7:00 Niagara (Shandon Brown) - Drexel game and the 8:00 Harvard - Northeastern (Jordan Roland) games tonight.

11/08/2019 8:17 pm  #24

Auburn just has way too much size and athleticism(not surprisingly) for Davidson and they will win this game, but Davidson gave a good effort and they are a real good team, it felt as if you were watching 2 NCAA tournament teams. Grady and Gudmonson struggled in this game because Auburn's player's have NBA length and both of them couldn't get it going. 

Did you guys hear what happened with Memphis star freshman James Wiseman?? At about 5:30 eastern, he was ruled ineligible for the entire year because Memphis coach Penny Hardaway was involved in helping his family move to Memphis in 2018. At about 6:15 eastern, a judge filed a temporary restraining order against the NCAA which allowed Wiseman to play, so he is now playing for Memphis. I've never seen anything quite like this

11/08/2019 8:23 pm  #25

Northeastern is up early over Harvard 25 to 11. Roland with a hot start has 13.

11/08/2019 9:28 pm  #26

Northeastern had built a 20-point lead early in the second half but Harvard has stormed back and it's currently a six-point game with 8 minutes left. Roland continues his hot start to the season and currently has 35 points.

11/08/2019 10:02 pm  #27

Northeastern Halls of Harvard 84-79. Great game for Jordan Roland. he ends up with 44 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and a block. he'll likely be leading the nation in scoring after the first week of play.

11/08/2019 11:00 pm  #28

Roland had two points taken away so officially finishes with 42.

Shandon Brown played 12 minutes in Niagara's opener/Greg Paulus's debut, and had 4 points and 4 assists with no turnovers.

11/08/2019 11:11 pm  #29

In other action, Merrimack got their first ever win as a D1 school by beating Northwestern by 10, just two days after losing to Maine by 20. Looks like Nebraska (who lost to UC Riverside by 19 the other day) and Northwestern will be fighting for last in the Big Ten this year. I'd say Northwestern is probably still a little worse.

Also, if there was any doubt who the worst D1 team in college basketball was, Mississippi Valley State clinched it tonight, losing to Utah by 94 points. Yes, you read that correctly. The final score was 143-49. The crazy part is the Delta Devils leading scorer (Michael Green) is averaging 21 ppg on the season shooting 48% from the field. Imagine how much worse they would be without him lol.

11/08/2019 11:56 pm  #30

Washington vs Baylor great game on ESPN right now
Washington has two of the best Freshman in the nation.
I just pulled up a Draft Board both are slated to be late lottery picks.  Obi Toppin was the last pick of 1st round

11/09/2019 12:10 pm  #31

Rhode Island at #7 Maryland    9PM on FS1  - Maryland opened as an 11 point favorite and it's now up to 12. What's the reason for the 9PM start time? I know it's not a school or work night for a lot of people, but it still seems like an odd time to start a game on the East coast. Two of the better players in this game, Maryland guard Anthony Cowan and Rhode Island guard Jeff Dowtin were teammates at St.John's in D.C. 
GW Mayem, we discussed Maryland fans uneasy feelings towards Mark Turgeon and the team, their morale may be low coming into this game when you consider that Maryland's football team is about to lose by a 100 today in Columbus, Maryland is actually a 42 POINT UNDERDOG at Ohio State!!

UMass at Fairfield   1 on   ESPN3 -  games on ESPN3 are free online

Iona at La Salle  4 on  NBC SportsNetwork

Valparaiso at St.Louis   7 on ESPN+

Indiana State at Dayton   7 on ESPN+

Georgetown is now hosting Central Arkansas on one of the MASN channels here locally, didn't they struggle to beat them last year?? If they did, I'm surprised that they've scheduled them again

11/09/2019 12:38 pm  #32

The Dude,  some reasons why Calipari isn't getting the top 5 guys anymore(besides other schools stepping up their Under-the-Table payment methods!! LOL) is coaches must be selling these guys on being an individual and not to go along with the pack to Lexington.  Also, coaches are convincing some of these guys that it's better to play at a school where your family/loved ones can make a short trip to watch you. Wiseman is from Memphis or another city in Tennessee(he signed with Memphis), Anthony Edwards is from Atlanta(he signed with Georgia) and one of the top 10 Washington freshman(Jaden McDaniels) that you reference is from Seattle. Washington's other highly rated freshman/projected lottery pick(Isiah Stewart) is from NY, which is also where Washington's coach is from. The Washington coach must have sold I.Stewart on playing for a fellow New Yorker. 

DMV Piranha,  thanks for bringing up Mississippi Valley State, I'm assuming they'll be playing several more games against BCS schools, I will now include them in Other Games of Interest only to see how lopsided their scores will be!!  Chris Collins coaching tenure at Northwestern has taken a rapid nosedive!! A few years ago, he made the NCAA tournament with a team full of sophomores and juniors, and nothing has gone right since them!!

11/09/2019 2:19 pm  #33

Harvard was missing its top two players, but 42 points from Jordan is incredible.  With 81 points in two games he is leading the nation in scoring by far.  Happy for him.

11/09/2019 9:21 pm  #34

If you are looking for a good game tonight, Rhode Island takes on #7 Maryland on the road.
this is the kind of game if the A10 can pick up it would help the whole league all year.
Rhode Island races out to an early 7-2 lead

11/09/2019 9:23 pm  #35

Thomas   ....
Jalen Rose was going off on that last night.  He quoted the old line:  When the NCAA is mad at Kentucky, it drops the hammer on .....Cleveland St.

11/09/2019 9:32 pm  #36

The Dude wrote:

If you are looking for a good game tonight, Rhode Island takes on #7 Maryland on the road.
this is the kind of game if the A10 can pick up it would help the whole league all year.
Rhode Island races out to an early 7-2 lead

Good suggestion, just turned it on.

11/09/2019 10:09 pm  #37

Maryland up 35-32 at the half after a 19-6 run to close out the 1st half

11/10/2019 11:40 am  #38

Wyoming at South Carolina   noon on SEC Network - for those of you who want to watch Jair Bolden

Niagara at Rutgers   1  -  I don't see a TV Network listed for this game and GW doesn't play either team, but there is a GW feel here as Shandon Brown and Paulus take on Steve Pikeil, Karl Hobbs and new assistant TJ Thompson

St.Joe's at Old Dominion   2   - I don't see a TV Network for this game, but I'm assuming some outlet will show it. Old Dominion has been very good in recent years, so this should be a good OOC win for A10 if St.Joe's wins

La Salle beat Iona in OT yesterday, l'm assuming this is a good win for the A10 since Iona has been a strong team in recent years and La Salle has been terrible. 

Rhode Island ended up losing by 18 at Maryland, despite jumping on Maryland and having them look flustered for the first 8 or 9 minutes of the game. I'm not sure what to make of this game because I didn't think Maryland looked good at all and they won by 18. Despite Rhode Island's talent level, their horrible shooting will doom them again this year!!

11/12/2019 8:52 pm  #40

It looks like #1 Kentucky is about to lose at home to Evansville, they are trailing 65-62 with 44 seconds left. The game is on the SEC Network. Evansville is coached by former Kentucky star Walter McCarty 

Board footera