GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2023 1:46 pm  #1

Welcome Darren Buchanan!

Darren Buchanan to GW!

Fantastic addition

4/28/2023 1:47 pm  #2

4/28/2023 1:51 pm  #3

Re: Welcome Darren Buchanan!

Adds some really nice length on the wing and VERY bouncey, powerfully built with legit bounce.

Exciting news welcome back to DC, DB Jr!!!

• A four-year letterwinner at Woodrow Wilson in Washington, D.C.
2022 D.C. Gatorade Player of the Year
• 2022 All-Met Player of the Year

Two-time DCIAA Player of the Year and two-time DCIAA champion
• Two-time all-state first team selection, All-Met first team as a senior and two-time DCIAA first team
• Averaged 17 points, 10 rebounds, four assists and three steals during his four-year career at Woodrow Wilson
• Played for Team Durant on the Nike EYBL circuit for three years
• Tabbed the second-best player in Washington, D.C., and the 47th-best small forward nationally
• Chose the Hokies originally over Georgetown, Rutgers, George Mason and George Washington

Last edited by The Dude (4/28/2023 5:20 pm)

4/28/2023 2:13 pm  #4

At the Smith Center

4/28/2023 2:26 pm  #5

Florida Colonial wrote:

At the Smith Center

Wow, he's an impressive athlete.  Smith Center rocking for a HS game too!

4/28/2023 2:41 pm  #6

Great news! I assume we're not done bringing in frontline players. Can someone list the big men that we still have a shot at. After pages and pages of posts on transfers and recruits, it's hard to get a real feel for where we are. Thanks.

4/28/2023 2:53 pm  #7

moneybox wrote:

Great news! I assume we're not done bringing in frontline players. Can someone list the big men that we still have a shot at. After pages and pages of posts on transfers and recruits, it's hard to get a real feel for where we are. Thanks.

Ismael Massoud from K State: Just wrapped up an official visit this week.  By all accounts we rolled out the red carpet for him.  Fordham seems to be our biggest rival but they already have some bigs so it would be a matter of him living close to home vs. playing time.

Myles Foster from Monmouth:  He keeps saying we've been prioritizing him, and I know they had a zoom call a while back.  Not sure if he's been spotted on campus yet.  A few other A-10 schools are after him as well as Temple, etc.

Zamoku Weluche-Ume from the UK:  Has already visited GW.  Appears to be on an official visit to Davidson today per his IG.

4/28/2023 3:24 pm  #8

GW0509 wrote:

moneybox wrote:

Ismael Massoud from K State: Just wrapped up an official visit this week.  By all accounts we rolled out the red carpet for him.  Fordham seems to be our biggest rival but they already have some bigs so it would be a matter of him living close to home vs. playing time.

Myles Foster from Monmouth:  He keeps saying we've been prioritizing him, and I know they had a zoom call a while back.  Not sure if he's been spotted on campus yet.  A few other A-10 schools are after him as well as Temple, etc.

Zamoku Weluche-Ume from the UK:  Has already visited GW.  Appears to be on an official visit to Davidson today per his IG.

Don’t forget Jordan Geronimo from Indiana (6’6” but an excellent rebounder).  Supposedly took a visit this week. Other schools that have been mentioned with him are Georgetown, Maryland, and BU.

4/28/2023 3:27 pm  #9

Great news!   Va Tech listed him at 6’7”, 235.   That’s some serious size for a wing. Between Maximus, Benny, and Buchanan, we now have three versatile wings with great size and length.  Garrett Johnson, too, at 6’8”. 

Seems very clear that Caputo wants versatile, switchable wings.  You can see he’s building something special.

4/28/2023 3:39 pm  #10

Fantastic news.  Was crushed when we didn't land him out of high school.  Good things come to those who wait.....and my God have we been waiting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't imagine GW has ever had a DC All-Met Player of the Year wearing its uniform.  Let's now go get Ish, Jordan, and a rim protector to clog the lane.  This staff is getting it done in a big way.

4/28/2023 3:54 pm  #11

Great news!

2-3 legit bigs and this offseason will be a flat out home run. Plus staff may be working on a sleeper pick-up from a lower division (as in All-American) - we see about that one. 

Here is what we look like (scholarship-wise)

James
Max
Trey
Jacoi
Christian
Benny
Garrett
Darren
Keegan

4/28/2023 4:38 pm  #12

Been waiting for this post. 
Welcome back to our GW family and the Smith Center, Darren and family!
To many more rebounds, dunks and points ahead.

4/28/2023 4:41 pm  #13

Gwmayhem wrote:

Fantastic news.  Was crushed when we didn't land him out of high school.  Good things come to those who wait.....and my God have we been waiting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't imagine GW has ever had a DC All-Met Player of the Year wearing its uniform.  Let's now go get Ish, Jordan, and a rim protector to clog the lane.  This staff is getting it done in a big way.

Good idea on some other good big men, including center and big PF types.
Both Chris Monroe, who Darren will see at the Smith Center, and Joe McDonald, were All-Met.

4/28/2023 5:14 pm  #14

jf wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Good idea on some other good big men, including center and big PF types.
Both Chris Monroe, who Darren will see at the Smith Center, and Joe McDonald, were All-Met.

Jf, I don't believe either was the All-Met Player of the Year.  Joe made first team but was not the player of the year.  Chris was honorable mention.  He was actually the second option to Roger Mason, Jr while at Good Counsel.  Mason made First team but I don't think was Player of the year either.

4/28/2023 5:20 pm  #15

There’s a page on the wapo website with links to all the all met teams all the way back to the 90s.  We were close, but never had a PoY on the team.  The year Kethan and JoeMac were on the team, we recruited 7-8 of the ten players.

4/28/2023 5:36 pm  #16

BM wrote:

There’s a page on the wapo website with links to all the all met teams all the way back to the 90s. We were close, but never had a PoY on the team. The year Kethan and JoeMac were on the team, we recruited 7-8 of the ten players.

Didn't bring it up because he was merely an All-Met not POY, but Howard "Mean Man" Matthews, fondly remembered by at least two other current posters, was an entering classmate of ours.

4/28/2023 5:55 pm  #17

Yes, just saw All Met and referred to that. Stand corrected.
But first team is pretty good.
And Darren appears to be an excellent recruit. Hopefully joined by some more signings, especially post players/rim protectors or at least good rebounders.
   CC and co. is building an intriguing team.

4/28/2023 6:00 pm  #18

"Mean Man" Matthews was a huge get for GW back then, but I'm not sure why he ever got tagged with the "mean" moniker. He was a gentle giant, and it's too bad injuries waylaid his career. He and Szczerbiak, with Mike Battle could have been a great frontcourt. 

A few years later, we got another 1st team All-Met (and All-American) via transfer in Brian Magid. Another really nice guy.

4/28/2023 7:22 pm  #19

His friends called him “Satch.” Very nice guy who, on the freshman team, had a 52/43 game against one of the local JCs. Injuries derailed what could have been a monster career.

4/29/2023 12:00 pm  #20

GW0509 wrote:

moneybox wrote:

Exciting times, looks like Massoud the most likely of these guys?

Board footera