GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/09/2023 1:25 pm  #41

Re: Kenner League 2023

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I can’t go because I am at the beach, but we need one or 2 of you to get your asses over to Kenner and gives us a report.   And if you were there yesterday (Saturday),  what are you waiting for to give us some info, irrespective of how meaningless Rising thinks it is.  And he is mostly right about it’s value, but it is still what us junkies need with the season still nearly 4 months away.0

Corbin went a strong 7 innings today. Nats on their way to a series win over Texas. Meneses with another HR. Ought to be good enough info to get you on Candid Camera.

7/09/2023 1:40 pm  #42

Listened to last 4 innings at beach.  They can head to all star break on a 2 game streak.

7/09/2023 2:44 pm  #43

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I can’t go because I am at the beach, but we need one or 2 of you to get your asses over to Kenner and gives us a report.   And if you were there yesterday (Saturday),  what are you waiting for to give us some info, irrespective of how meaningless Rising thinks it is.  And he is mostly right about it’s value, but it is still what us junkies need with the season still nearly 4 months away.0

Well put!

7/09/2023 3:03 pm  #44

Just saw most of the second half of Trey's game.  12 points (2-4 from 3) and lots of the other important bits of basketball.  Max did well at 3/4 speed.  Mezzie looked great.

Darren played the first half of his game at 1/2 speed and missed a lot of layups and dunks.  Came alive in the last 1/3 of the game to score a bunch of points including the last second game-tying three.  Ten-ish boards.

Christian Jones in the stands.

7/09/2023 3:12 pm  #45

BM wrote:

Trey obviously didn’t get the Kenner memo.

He may have not got the Kenner memo, but he did get the memo about Georgetown!

7/09/2023 3:14 pm  #46

^^^

7/09/2023 6:59 pm  #47

Well I’m sure his Dad also contributed to his hatred of all things Hoya

7/09/2023 10:57 pm  #48

dmvpiranha wrote:

BM wrote:

Trey obviously didn’t get the Kenner memo.

He may have not got the Kenner memo, but he did get the memo about Georgetown!

What a fine young man, who knows the importance of this, especially given their sad and cowardly behavior over the years.
  Sorry that Trey and others have to bear the stench of being on their "campus," in order to play summer league.
  Trey is a true Colonial/Revolutionary who has already earned a place among GW fans.

7/10/2023 9:28 am  #49

I attended a few Kenner games yesterday.  Let me start by saying that the challenge of learning the names of players I have not seen or recognize has never been greater.  The long-time public address announcer passed away during the pandemic (not saying from Covid but during this time) and the current announcer feels compelled to provide play-by-play, analysis and conventional public address announcing into his "schtick".  The end result is that I can't make out 3/4 of the things he says (OK, I'm getting old.  Maybe that has a little something to do with this too.)

Game 1 saw Max square off against Trey Autry.  Was hoping to see Garrett Johnson who is also on the Tombs roster but he was a no-show.  Max had a few moments when he displayed some real intensity but for the most part, he was getting some exercise in and nothing more.  Made a few shots, grabbed some rebounds.  He did good-naturedly trash-talk Austin Ball, an incoming George Mason freshman who he was guarding to start the game.  Looks like he has hit the weight room a fair amount.

Enjoyed BM's line about Trey not receiving the Kenner memo.  He looked fundamentally sound, showed some intelligence on the court, was basically an anti-Kenner presence for this glorified pickup league.  Would really like to see a lot more of his game but a very strong first impression.

This brings us to the second game which featured Darren Buchanan Jr on the DC Raiders against AWash who had none other than former Terp James Gist on its team.  (For seemingly decades, it was former Terp Byron Mouton who could not kick the Kenner habit and went up against players half his age.  Nice to see James carrying on that tradition.)  As for DBJ, his bad game got worse and worse as he grew more frustrated as the game progressed.  A missed dunk here, being blocked at the rim there, throwing up a few wild shots.  The guy clearly looked like he could play even though nothing was going his way.  Then down the stretch of a comeback, he made some plays.  And then, he nailed a three point shot with just over 1 second left to send the game into overtime.  (His team would lose in OT but the game's final 10 minutes were incredibly exciting.)  Much like Victor Wembanyama coming off of a 2-13 summer league debut, I am sure that both Victor and Darren will be just fine.  

7/10/2023 7:21 pm  #50

I'm delivering great news for LSF and anyone else (like me) who needs their Kenner League fix and thinks player evaluation can be valuable, we can do them ourselves as someone is now uploading entire games to youtube. I posted two games down below, the first is Higher Level-Jim Couch from Saturday and Quashie Family Dental-A.Wash Associates game from Saturday or yesterday. 

Also, I have to push back on Georgetown/McDonough Gym still being Satan's Den (LOL), Ed Cooley came in and pretty much removed ALL THINGS THOMPSON from University, it appears to be a totally different regime with Georgetown now. 

7/10/2023 7:52 pm  #51

But it still has that national championship banner.  There does appear to be a food upgrade however.  Thanks Thomas.  Good to see games posted.  They did away with the no photography rule I believe last season. Now if someone can take a few minutes and just do a numerical roster.

7/11/2023 8:31 pm  #52

Box scores here.  What is the world coming to???

http://www.kennerleague.com/stats

Last edited by BM (7/11/2023 8:33 pm)

7/15/2023 6:33 pm  #53

Keegan Harvey was named the Player of the Game again for Premier Athletics in their win over Quashie Family Dental, he finished with 21 points, 12 rebounds and 3 steals. It looked like he was matched up with and got the better of Maryland rising sophomore Caelum Rodger (he's the opposing player in the photo that Harvey is blocking out). I wasn't at the game but maybe one or more of the posters attended and can give us specifics of how well Harvey played today.

https://twitter.com/KennerLeague/status/1680278700099530752  

Last edited by Thomas (7/15/2023 6:34 pm)

7/16/2023 12:10 am  #54

Here's the full game from yesterday/earlier today(7/15) where Keegan Harvey had 21 pts, 12 rebs and 3 stls.

Last edited by Thomas (7/16/2023 12:11 am)

7/16/2023 10:25 am  #55

Harvey started out very strong and hit four open threes in the beginning of the game. He definitely slowed down once the other team realized he could shoot but started getting to the foul line and scoring from there. He was solid defensively but nothing to truly write home about. He piled up the rebounds in the second half. Generally a strong performance but he wasn't as much of a presence down low offensively as he was in the other game he was named player of the game in.

I also saw Max play and he was very average. He didn't get the ball a bunch and when he did his shots weren't really falling. His passing looked pretty good and he ended with 4 assists. He was playing against Call Your Mother, which has Ricky Lindo who was very poor. 0-5 from the field and didn't record a single stat in the second half. Also on Call Your Mother yesterday was 5 star 2024 Bryson Tucker, who Max was matched up with a bunch. I was impressed with Tucker, who looked very comfortable among guys older than him. He got to the rim well and showed off his smooth stroke with some midrange jumpers. He's been offered by any high major worth their salt in the mid-atlantic so he won't be coming to GW (we haven't even offered him) but I just hope he doesn't go to Georgetown.

7/16/2023 11:04 am  #56

Made 4 3s in the first half. More success from there than one foot away.  Got plenty involved under the basket.  Chase Paar award for Kenner excellence or 15 minute a game player?

Last edited by BM (7/16/2023 11:04 am)

7/18/2023 5:43 pm  #57

I know its is only Kenner and I am not going to let myself get too excited about  Keegan Harvey, only to have my heart broken once again as had happened when I drank the Kool Aid last  Kenner League season with Noel Brown.  Notwithstaniding, it was great fun playing the download of his game on the big screen, where the quality of the video is very good even if it is lacking in audio and production.  It was fabulous seeing Keegan burying those 3s at the outset of the game.   It would be great if he could help down low but I am not sure I have seen that so far in  Kenner.    I don't really see him as a starter, but how nice it would be to have an actual 6'11" 3 point shooting threat off the bench, someone who could shoot us back into a game or open up a big lead if hot.
  And thank you for posting this Thomas.    You are always a wonderful board contributor, especially with Kenner stuff.  If there was an award for all time nice poster...

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (7/18/2023 5:46 pm)

7/18/2023 7:22 pm  #58

thank you Thomas

7/19/2023 8:59 am  #59

Sloan Seymour < Keegan Harvey < Nemanja Mikic.

And most definitely, thank you Thomas.

7/22/2023 4:39 pm  #60

Board footera