GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/16/2023 3:50 pm  #1

Secret Scrimmage #1

Happened over the weekend vs Hampton. I am told GW played well after an initial slow start (first quarter) and won by a lot (think more than 30). My understanding is that the freshmen generally played well (one in particular - Trey Autry) and that James and Max were steady. Of the transfers, sounds like Garrett and Benny did some good things on both ends. Babatunde rebounded and rim protected. I think Darren and Antoine may have sat it out with injuries (don't believe they are serious). Didn't hear too much about anyone else.

10/16/2023 4:13 pm  #2

Re: Secret Scrimmage #1

Thanks for sharing! This is the kind of news that I’ve been aching to here since the season ended last year.

Can’t wait for the season to start!

10/16/2023 4:31 pm  #3

Thanks for the info, keep it comin'.  

10/16/2023 4:35 pm  #4

Best post since last season! 

Autry apparently really played well in Kenner League.  Possible that he’s going way overlooked heading into the season.

10/16/2023 5:11 pm  #5

Thanks for the info. Love to actually see basketball talk

10/16/2023 5:33 pm  #6

Likewise from me, Rising.  Appreciate the info.

10/21/2023 4:31 pm  #7

When is scrimmage #2

10/21/2023 7:33 pm  #8

Per Trilly Donovan, VCU beat USC 79-77 on a Max Shulga buzzer beater in their not so secret scrimmage.  Posting since we play both teams.

10/21/2023 8:39 pm  #9

There was an open practice today but only for former players.  Anyone know how that went?

10/22/2023 5:08 pm  #10

Florida Colonial wrote:

When is scrimmage #2

Next weekend. Not sure which day next weekend

10/23/2023 10:08 am  #11

Next secret scrimmage is at Drexel, I believe . There was an open practice for GW donors this weekend; my summary comment is we have a lot of talented players. Adrian Autry stood out; JB and Max put on a scoring show. Garret Johnson played well until he had a minor injury. Both Benny Shroeder and Darin Buchanan sat out due but should be ready this weekend. Anyone who picks this team to be 11th or 13th in the A-10 is out of their minds.

10/23/2023 3:57 pm  #12

AT Hiker wrote:

Next secret scrimmage is at Drexel, I believe . There was an open practice for GW donors this weekend; my summary comment is we have a lot of talented players. Adrian Autry stood out; JB and Max put on a scoring show. Garret Johnson played well until he had a minor injury. Both Benny Shroeder and Darin Buchanan sat out due but should be ready this weekend. Anyone who picks this team to be 11th or 13th in the A-10 is out of their minds.

Any prediction on the starting 5?

10/23/2023 4:36 pm  #13

Free Quebec wrote:

AT Hiker wrote:

Any prediction on the starting 5?

I'll make mine ...

JB
Max
Trey
Garrett
Babatunde

first four subs

Buchanan
Hutchinson
Schroeder
Smith

That's the rotation I think we will see. CC will only play 8-9 regularly.

Think Harvey, Jones and Zam get spot minutes right now.

10/23/2023 4:43 pm  #14

My prediction is:

JB
Max
Stretch
Benny (pending health)
Garrett

I would have thought Jacoi over Garrett a few months back but now believe that CC wants more shooting Not to mention Jon Rothstein, I believe, who predicted Garrett as a starter.

Have to believe that Trey, Jacoi, Antoine, and Darren (pending health) are all firmly in the rotation.  I am guessing that Christian will be a more situational sub on defense.  Zam may or may not be ready but may be needed to spell Stretch if the team is too vulnerable playing a smaller lineup.  Am hoping to see Luke Cronin get some minutes.  His size and skill set works well for this team but as a preferred walk-on, there are only so many minutes to divide.

10/23/2023 4:46 pm  #15

Hadn't seen yours before posting mine Rising.  Our only difference is trey vs. Benny in the starting lineup.  We seem to be in agreement on the 9 man rotation as a whole.

10/23/2023 5:13 pm  #16

Gwmayhem wrote:

Hadn't seen yours before posting mine Rising.  Our only difference is trey vs. Benny in the starting lineup.  We seem to be in agreement on the 9 man rotation as a whole.

May depend on who we are playing. I can see CC changing lineups early as a lot of guys are close and he tries to figure out who is playing well and playing well together.

I am not sure anything is a lock at the moment other than JB and Max.

10/23/2023 7:50 pm  #17

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

May depend on who we are playing. I can see CC changing lineups early as a lot of guys are close and he tries to figure out who is playing well and playing well together.

I am not sure anything is a lock at the moment other than JB and Max.

I'd say Stretch is a lock with them to start at least 

10/23/2023 10:39 pm  #18

I know Kenner means nothing, but has Harvey shown anything in the scrimmage or practice? I could see him getting minutes if we need size. Remember last year with Dean hurt we actually got some minutes from Harvey before he went down.

10/24/2023 12:16 pm  #19

Starting 5 to start season:  I see coach going with more of a veteran starting 5 as the others are eased into the rotation.  
Bishop
Edwards
Akingbola
Schroder
Smith.
Off the bench (assuming a 9 man rotation)
Autry
Harvey
Buchanan
Johnson (depending on health), otherwise Weluche-Ume

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (10/24/2023 12:19 pm)

10/24/2023 7:28 pm  #20

LSF, do you really think Hutchinson is not going to be in the rotation?  I find that hard to believe.

Board footera