GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2019 6:52 pm  #21

Re: GW vs AMERICAN Game Thread

Same starting five as last game.

JNJ, Battle, Mezie, Javi, AT

11/12/2019 7:13 pm  #22

UGLY both sides.

11/12/2019 7:27 pm  #23

The good: lots of  blocks, Toro and Battle's 3 ball
The bad: the offense so far. turnovers, shooting etc

11/12/2019 7:49 pm  #24

Lucky to be only down 7 with 12 turnovers and shooting less than 20% from 3.  Need to increase the intensity on defense.

11/12/2019 7:52 pm  #25

While we could talk about the game, my question is: Why is the "official chicken of the New Orleans Saints" advertising group visits to Saints games on GW´s in-house production of the GW-AU basketball game?

11/12/2019 7:56 pm  #26

GW 4 assists, 13 TOs  Nelson has 8 TOs.  Rebounding only good news.

11/12/2019 8:05 pm  #27

I finally "found"(LOL) this game!! What's the GW record for rebounds in a game, Toro may break the record. He has 16 or 17 right now early in the 2nd half. I can't think of a GW player in recent memory(15 years) who had that many in a game. Good student turnout, is Jamion Christian going around campus encouraging students to attend games, he seems like the type who would do that

11/12/2019 8:07 pm  #28

How many total dribbles does Battle have at GW?  I count 1 so far. 

11/12/2019 8:08 pm  #29

Toro, 14 points, 16 rebounds  15;29 left

11/12/2019 8:15 pm  #30

Tied up.  LET'S GO!!!

11/12/2019 8:41 pm  #31

Looking for Battle for a 3 for the win

11/12/2019 8:44 pm  #32

Why not foul before the shot?

11/12/2019 8:45 pm  #33

JNjr is a frosh. Eventually, he will learn to hold for the last shot when playing at home...

11/12/2019 8:46 pm  #34

HOW ON EARTH COULD THEY NOT GIVE THE FOUL???  There has to be better awareness than that

11/12/2019 8:48 pm  #35

3pt shooting again under 30%. Might be time to rethink the strategy on offense.

11/12/2019 8:51 pm  #36

Sa'eed Nelson wins it at the buzzer for AU. I thought S.Nelson over-dribbled and took a bad shot that he would miss, but it went in. Toro finished with 20 points and 24 rebounds!! I've got to think that Yinka Dare is the last GW player to have a 20/20 game. 

11/12/2019 9:20 pm  #37

A few thoughts:
- Bad shooting nights happen, but for a team that's supposed to be relying on the 3 our 3-point percentage is pretty abysmal
- I don't quite understand the "Mayhem" defense. Most of the time it looks like we pressure the inbound pass but then immediately back off the pressure once the offensive player has the ball in his hands
- JNJ is only a freshman so gotta take the good with the bad. Hopefully he grows and turns the ball over less
- Mazz had a nice game so I'm really not sure why he didn't play more down the stretch in crunch time. He is a solid ball handler, decent defender, and was 4-4 for the game.
- I'm still not quite sure why Stallings is playing so much. I'd rather have Javier on the floor as the sole true big man. He brings some potential to the offensive game. With that being said, Javier has done nothing offensively the last two home games. Not sure where his game has gone
- We need to step up defensively. Time after time AU players were blowing by us on simple drives. 
- That brings me to my final point. I was very disappointed in the defensive matchups that Jamion had for most of the game. We have Javier guarding a guy who was infinitely quicker than him when we could've had Mazz or Juice on the floor and rotated one of the other guys to guard Javier's man. Same with Battle. He wasn't quick enough to guard his man and was consistently asked to guard their PG which he couldn't do effectively. I was expecting after the first half for the coaches to recognize these glaring defensive mismatches and adjust for them but they never did. I'm most disappointed in this

All in all a disappionting result but happy to see Toro dominate again. Have a lot to work on defensively. Hopefully the shots start falling at a higher clip.

11/12/2019 9:34 pm  #38

Props to Toro on a monster game.
Mazz had a great game and JNJR with 13 pts 8 boards 3 blocks the game tying drive to the rim (but an absurd 9 TOs again and just 1 dime) 
The bad:
we were 7 for 24 from 3.   Maceo 0 for 6.
Thank goodness we have Battle who was 4-8 from 3 his stroke looks pure.  Also, I like his defense, not a great athlete but an intelligent, controlled defensive player.

AU is undersized but Toro was a monster, great game. We've seen that before and then it goes away against similar sized front courts so we are going to have to shoot much better to have much of a chance in A10 games

11/12/2019 9:43 pm  #39

For a team that wants to shoot a lot of 3s we are doing a poor job of getting open looks.  Maceo's 3's all seemed pretty rushed tonight.  JNJ took about 3-4 step back 3s (I think only 1 went in). 

Also, our spacing on offense still seemed poor.  A lot of times we had 3 guys all bunched up on one side.  I though that sort of stuff would go away with Mojo being gone.

11/12/2019 11:01 pm  #40

MG14 wrote:

A few thoughts:
- I don't quite understand the "Mayhem" defense. Most of the time it looks like we pressure the inbound pass but then immediately back off the pressure once the offensive player has the ball in his hands

Totally agree with you on this.  I thought there would be more, you know, pressure...

Still have a bad taste in my mouth from not giving the foul at the end of the game.  What am I missing?  It took at least 12 of the 14 secs left for AU's Nelson to start his shot.  Lots of opportunity to foul.  Baffling

Board footera