GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/10/2023 9:14 pm  #21

Re: Other Games Thread

Big wins for Duquesne and Davidson.  A10 off to a much better start this year than last.

Now we need Malachi Smith-less Dayton to beat Northwestern.

11/10/2023 10:18 pm  #22

Free Quebec wrote:

Big wins for Duquesne and Davidson. A10 off to a much better start this year than last.

Now we need Malachi Smith-less Dayton to beat Northwestern.

It most certainly is, the league is 20-2 through the first 22 games.  

11/10/2023 11:55 pm  #23

Dayton lost to Northwestern - is that a surprise?

11/11/2023 6:53 am  #24

BC wrote:

Dayton lost to Northwestern - is that a surprise?

No surprise.  Road game vs a Top 50 team right after losing their star Pg.  Game was very close throughout but they came up short.

11/11/2023 1:39 pm  #25

The National Champs UConn might score 120 Stonehill

At the rate this game is going so might GW and W&M

11/11/2023 10:46 pm  #26

Notre Dame lost at home today to Western Carolina

Mike Brey made that program relevant again, no easy task, they are now a 200s KenPom program.  Good luck replicating what Brey pulled off now that they've run him out of South Bend 

Last edited by The Dude (11/11/2023 10:47 pm)

11/12/2023 12:44 am  #27

The Dude wrote:

UConn beat Stonehill by 40 so that must mean we are 5 points better than UConn, right?

11/12/2023 6:05 pm  #28

Free Quebec wrote:

The Dude wrote:

UConn beat Stonehill by 40 so that must mean we are 5 points better than UConn, right?

Sure! National Champs 2024 here we come!

Davidson almost took down Clemson a day after beating Maryland, A10 looks better across the board this year

11/13/2023 11:09 am  #29

The Dude wrote:

Notre Dame lost at home today to Western Carolina

Mike Brey made that program relevant again, no easy task, they are now a 200s KenPom program.  Good luck replicating what Brey pulled off now that they've run him out of South Bend 

Come on man.  Please don't start up with this nonsense. 

Nobody ran Mike Brey out of Notre Dame.  He loved Notre Dame and more to the point, Notre Dame loved Mike Brey.  Certain boosters wanted him gone years ago and the school stuck by him.  If anything, ND was more patient with Mike than perhaps they would have been with almost any other coach.  He won 14, 11 and 11 games in three of his final five seasons.  He didn't leave ND kicking and screaming, nor did he question why he couldn't have more time.  He resigned towards the end of the season, knowing full well it was time for him to move on.

11/13/2023 1:44 pm  #30

Good slate tonight with Purdue vs Xavier the marquee game

Somehow the point spread here is 17.5 that seems way to large for a good Xavier team, strong as Purdue is

What a juggernaut Matt Painter has turned Purdue into
Just 53 years old:
19 NCAA Tourney wins
440 wins
Championships
4× Big Ten regular season (2010, 2017, 2019, 2023)
2× Big Ten tournament (2009, 2023)
MVC regular season (2004)
Awards
NABC Coach of the Year (2019)
4× Big Ten Coach of the Year (2008, 2010, 2011, 2019)
MVC Coach of the Year (2004)

11/13/2023 5:54 pm  #31

Holy Cross 68.  Georgetown 67.  Final.

This took place nearly 2 full days ago.  not a word about it here.  Really?  First win for the Crusaders over the Hoyas since 1975.

Holy Cross coming off an opening night loss to Siena.

11/13/2023 6:08 pm  #32

Hahahaha.  i’m thinking it’s because for the first time in a while, we are actually able to be optimistic and positive about GW so we don’t need to relish in the pain of that other school down the street quite as much.

That certainly is not to say that it’s not enjoyable to see it!

11/13/2023 7:23 pm  #33

Two things of note from the ESPN article about the first week of the college basketball season

Fifteen power conference teams suffering losses to teams from outside the power conferences

and a special mention for George Washington freshman Garrett Johnson, who scored 21 points in his college debut, six months after finishing his ninth round of chemotherapy to treat a rare benign tumor in his hip.

11/13/2023 7:44 pm  #34

ND wasn't expected to be any good this year given how little they had returning, but losing to Western Carolina still feels significant. If I remember correctly, the Catamounts have the lowest budget in D1 for a school that's not in the MEAC/SWAC.

Surprised there's no mention of the Georgetown loss to Holy Cross the other night. Happy for Dave Paulsen, who I've always thought is a solid coach (might be an unpopular opinion) who is now at a place where the fit is much better.

11/13/2023 8:10 pm  #35

Also the coach is not a Thompson.

11/13/2023 8:55 pm  #36

Also they are so inept, though still cowardly, that it takes a bit of the thrill off.
Yet, this is a very valid point. It is an event worth celebrating.

11/13/2023 10:07 pm  #37

I LOVE IT!  

11/13/2023 10:16 pm  #38

Can I summon up the emotions to loathe That School Down the Street even when they suck so much that they lose to Holy Cross? Yes, yes, YES! A thousand times YES!!!!!
Still, glad this board is focused on the hope which springs eternal in Foggy Bottom when the team starts 2-0 more than it is focused on the failures at some other school in NW. 

11/14/2023 9:12 am  #39

I didn't see that Georgetown lost until the day after, I would have mentioned on here if I was aware they were in a close game against a cupcake!! I bought into the Ed Cooley hype and assumed he would magically turn things around instantly, so I wasn't going to really mention Georgetown until they played a quality opponent. But it appears as if the same Patrick Ewing-esque problems (losing to/struggling against bad teams, having an unheralded player look like a superstar against them, boneheaded plays at the end of close games!) may remain with Georgetown at least for this season. Georgetown plays Rutgers tomorrow (11/15), I'll post about the time and TV schedule tomorrow.

Georgetown isn't the only local team struggling, Maryland lost to UAB after Davidson beat them!! It's worse for Maryland because they came into the season with high expectations and were not supposed to lose to the likes of Davidson and UAB to start the year. 

11/14/2023 9:17 am  #40

Georgetown aside, let's hope that our team is ready to play a really tough Hofstra team tonight that is 4 to 8 point favorites over us or we will join the 1-loss group!

Board footera